#141 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:16 PM

I feel like the two times a year they try a true screen pass, it always gets blown up in the backfield. 

You'd think if they never do it, and then pull one out, it would catch the defense totally by surprise. But, nope. 

I feel pretty strongly that normal screen passes don't work with Lamar as your QB because screens rely on overcommitting to the QB and teams can't afford to do that with Lamar under center.  If you want to do a RB screen, then I think it would have to be some sort of RPO where Lamar keeps it if the defense sits back, and throws it if the defense commits to the rush.

• Mike in STL and cprenegade like this

#142 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:17 PM

Jackson wants to pass for 6,000 yards

https://www.cbssport...-no-tag-clause/

Is his agent secretly Master P?

#143 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:32 PM

I have studied Monken some and he is not a pass happy coordinator or at least has not been.  I think we see a 55-45 pass to run breakdown.  JK, and Gus are two good for any less.

Hopefully the new weapons and play caller lead to the elimination of some of the problems you mentioned.  Time will tell, but I am looking forward to see what the new offense will look like.

55/45 is basically our split last year.  We dropped back 567 times and ran 445 times on designed runs (40 of the runs were scrambles.)

Roman's main flaws were getting cute in the red zone, and having plays with bad pass concepts.  Getting cute in the red zone isn't a playbook flaw.  Pass concepts is something hopefully Monken can correct.  He doesn't need to change a lot in the playbook for the Ravens to be successful.

#144 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:36 PM

The 6000 yards was said tongue in cheek but you can tell he wants to start slinging the ball a lot more often. We arent going back to the Roman offense but we have to remember how well we consistently moved the ball between the 20s when he was here. Every year pretty much. We def developed some redzone issues the last year or two but moving the ball in general was not a problem. Quick 3 and outs are a bigger problem overall than not being able to score in the redzone. Hopefully Monken doesnt come in overly pass happy.

Well, if he's going to be slinging the ball more often, they better sure up that pass protection.  Otherwise, he'll make it three years in a row on the IL. 

#145 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:43 PM

Well, if he's going to be slinging the ball more often, they better sure up that pass protection.  Otherwise, he'll make it three years in a row on the IL. 

Lamar needs to get the ball out sooner.  He's got one of the longest times-to-throw in the league.  I've long held that Roman/the Ravens abused Lamar's mobility by letting his subpar WRs run long-developing routes.  He has better weapons that should be able to get open on time, and a new OC now, so we'll see this year if that was a Lamar problem or a receivers/OC problem.

Just to be clear, him taking forever to throw isn't necessarily bad if he can be successful doing it, but I think in general if you can avoid it you probably should.

#146 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 04:04 PM

55/45 is basically our split last year.  We dropped back 567 times and ran 445 times on designed runs (40 of the runs were scrambles.)

Roman's main flaws were getting cute in the red zone, and having plays with bad pass concepts.  Getting cute in the red zone isn't a playbook flaw.  Pass concepts is something hopefully Monken can correct.  He doesn't need to change a lot in the playbook for the Ravens to be successful.

Agree

#147 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 03:38 PM

Oh snap. Some accountability  :eek:

Baltimore Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta is owning up to his folly.

On a conference call with reporters this week, DeCosta admitted to an error with regard to star quarterback Lamar Jackson. He said that he has failed to maximize Jackson’s talents by surrounding him with quality wide receivers.

“We want to maximize Lamar’s ability,” stated DeCosta. “I’ve probably done a poor job at doing that over the last couple of years, in some ways, by not having more receivers around him. And we love the guys we have, but you know, in terms of building the best possible offense, that’s a factor too.”

https://larrybrownsp...-jackson/614796

#148 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 04:47 PM

Eh. He maybe hasn't invested a lot in terms of FA WR talent, but he did give him 2 1st round WRs, a 1st round TE and a stud 3rd round TE. A 1st round C. He got him JK Dobbins to take some of the load.

He hasn't completely abandoned the offense.

****3 1st round WR if you include Flowers

#149 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 04:48 PM

More a shot at Roman and his offense. They think changing offensive coordinators and system is going to be a hard reset and can bring a more exciting and higher scoring offense. We will see.

#150 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:07 PM

So what the excuse for 2019? Hollywood, Snead, and Boykin isn't exactly a murderers row of receivers and 

I put a ton of blame of Roman for inefficiency following up an MVP season. Of course also for giving way too many snaps to guys like Ricard and Oliver and not nearly enough to Bateman. Misuse of Hollywood starting in that Miami game Monday Night debacle. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#151 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:57 PM

So what the excuse for 2019? Hollywood, Snead, and Boykin isn't exactly a murderers row of receivers and

I put a ton of blame of Roman for inefficiency following up an MVP season. Of course also for giving way too many snaps to guys like Ricard and Oliver and not nearly enough to Bateman. Misuse of Hollywood starting in that Miami game Monday Night debacle.

I think a lot of the 2019 success was catching the entire league off guard. The style of offense was very unique, and Lamar was a lot better, both running and passing, than anyone every dreamed he could be at the NFL level.

The NFL finally caught up to them in the playoffs. Titans studied all of Roman's tendencies, and sold out to stop them. And Roman obliged by offering nothing different in the post season.

Roman had major issues adjusting to unique defensive game plans, during the game. Bills got him. Titans got him. And the Dolphins got him.

I'm not sold that Monkon is going to come in and put up 40+ a game. They have weapons, as long as they stay healthy. But as good as Lamar is, he has weaknesses. He has issues outside the numbers, and consistently hitting WR's deep. Mainly because he refuses to make anticipatory throws on 30+ yard deep shots. Sometimes he needs to just see the single coverage, and just trust his WR to beat his man. Unfortunately, he has to see him break open before he'll uncork it. And usually by then, that causes the WR to have to slow down, or allows the defender to catch up. If Lamar can improve there, I think he can have another massive season.

#152 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 06:20 PM

I'm hoping that Monken can get Lamar and the offense set up with more than a second or two on the play clock so he can look at the defense a bit before the snap. That could help him, too.

#153 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 07:14 PM

I'm hoping that Monken can get Lamar and the offense set up with more than a second or two on the play clock so he can look at the defense a bit before the snap. That could help him, too.

Monkon did move to a no-huddle hurry up if his offense stalled a little. I am very excited to see Lamar in a no-huddle situation. Imagine a defense chasing him around on one of his 10 second roll around the pocket, then take off for 10 yards. Just to pop up, get to the LOS, and get the ball snapped quickly. Huge advantage that Roman never took advantage of there.

#154 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 07:25 PM

Monkon did move to a no-huddle hurry up if his offense stalled a little. I am very excited to see Lamar in a no-huddle situation. Imagine a defense chasing him around on one of his 10 second roll around the pocket, then take off for 10 yards. Just to pop up, get to the LOS, and get the ball snapped quickly. Huge advantage that Roman never took advantage of there.

My memory could be off but it always seemed like they did great in the no-huddle, could never understand why they would never do it, especially when the offense got into a funk. It's like they were super wedded to time of possession at all costs.

#155 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 08:16 AM

My memory could be off but it always seemed like they did great in the no-huddle, could never understand why they would never do it, especially when the offense got into a funk. It's like they were super wedded to time of possession at all costs.

Even if you don't snap the ball right away. With Andrews and Likely's ability to line up outside, you can easily line up in a power run formation, then hurry back to the line after a 4 or 5 yard power run, and line up in a spread, trips formation, and force a LBer to go out wide in space. If the defense tries to sub, you pull a Rodgers and get your free play. Rodgers, Brady, Stafford ect have made careers catching defenses off guard, and getting quick, cheap scores by doing so.

The personnel we have is very versatile. And I feel like it was very underutilized by Roman.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#156 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 10:58 AM

I think a lot of the 2019 success was catching the entire league off guard. The style of offense was very unique, and Lamar was a lot better, both running and passing, than anyone every dreamed he could be at the NFL level.

The NFL finally caught up to them in the playoffs. Titans studied all of Roman's tendencies, and sold out to stop them. And Roman obliged by offering nothing different in the post season.

Roman had major issues adjusting to unique defensive game plans, during the game. Bills got him. Titans got him. And the Dolphins got him.

I'm not sold that Monkon is going to come in and put up 40+ a game. They have weapons, as long as they stay healthy. But as good as Lamar is, he has weaknesses. He has issues outside the numbers, and consistently hitting WR's deep. Mainly because he refuses to make anticipatory throws on 30+ yard deep shots. Sometimes he needs to just see the single coverage, and just trust his WR to beat his man. Unfortunately, he has to see him break open before he'll uncork it. And usually by then, that causes the WR to have to slow down, or allows the defender to catch up. If Lamar can improve there, I think he can have another massive season.

I really don't think the Titans did anything special to stop the Ravens in the playoffs other than force turnovers. But turnovers are a pretty volatile stat so I'm leaning toward Lamar choking.

He absolutely abused better defenses during the regular season. And frankly he was on his way to abusing the Titans but for the turnovers.

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 11:46 AM

I don't think the league caught up to the Ravens as much as the injuries impacted their ability to run the actual offense. 

• Mike B likes this

#158 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 12:42 PM

I don't think the league caught up to the Ravens as much as the injuries impacted their ability to run the actual offense. 

I agree. With the performance Burrow put up in the playoff game last season, if Lamar was playing that's surely a Ravens win. It almost was as it is except.... you know..... Roman.  :oops:

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 01:14 PM

For sure the case in '21. Not even debateable IMO

#160 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 04:14 PM

That's a fair point. Titans still played on Roman's tendencies, and he didn't change anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=