#121 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 April 2023 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, clearly we disagree on our evaluation of his potential at this point. All good.

#122 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 02:36 PM

Hitting the $3M incentives would be cool with me.

Sarah Ellison

@sgellison
Here’s how Odell Beckham Jr can reach his full potential of $3 million in incentives, per
@ProFootballTalk

Receptions:
1) $250,000 for 30 catches
2) $500,000 for 40 catches
3) $750,000 for 50 catches
4) $1 million for 60 catches, or if he leads team

Receiving yards:
1) $250,000 for 250 yards
2) $500,000 for 500 yards
3) $750,000 for 750 yards
4) $1 million for 1,000 yards, or if he leads team

Receiving TDs:
1) $250,000 for three
2) $500,000 for five
3) $750,000 for seven
4) $1 million for nine, or if he leads team

With this type of structure, OBJ will surely want Lamar Jackson to report to camp on time so they can start creating chemistry early in a new offense together.
3:33 PM · Apr 12, 2023

https://twitter.com/...235065980944407

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#123 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2023 - 02:42 PM

It's that "or if he leads the team" part that gets kinda sketchy to me. Especially if the fine print says it's leading among WRs only.

#124 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 02:44 PM

It's that "or if he leads the team" part that gets kinda sketchy to me. Especially if the fine print says it's leading among WRs only.

Team has to be team right? If it ignores Andrews that'd be silly IMO. But who knows what it says...

#125 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:10 PM

Team has to be team right? If it ignores Andrews that'd be silly IMO. But who knows what it says...

Andrews was basically a slot WR last season so maybe he'll count as a WR.  :mrgreen:

#126 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:11 PM

Yeah if he hits those incentives I'll happily part with 18 million.

Though he would have only needed 848 yards, 74 receptions, and 6 TDs to lead the team in 2022.

#127 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:16 PM

Yeah if he hits those incentives I'll happily part with 18 million.

Though he would have only needed 848 yards, 74 receptions, and 6 TDs to lead the team in 2022.

Let’s hope Andrews doesn’t miss two games, plus be limited in another.

#128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:20 PM

Not quite a rounding error, but an extra $3M against the 2024 cap doesn't really sway my opinion that much compared to the roughly $11M he's going to count even if he doesn't play a snap.  About $1.5-2M of the incentives seem quite reachable, which would be a good result, but also means he's effectively even more expensive.  I'm glad we have him and I wanted him, but still haven't come to terms with the price.  Still feels like almost a 100% overpay.  I have a hard time imagining some other team was offering him, say, $12M, and we had to beat it by a lot to get him.

#129 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:29 PM

Not quite a rounding error, but an extra $3M against the 2024 cap doesn't really sway my opinion that much compared to the roughly $11M he's going to count even if he doesn't play a snap. About $1.5-2M of the incentives seem quite reachable, which would be a good result, but also means he's effectively even more expensive. I'm glad we have him and I wanted him, but still haven't come to terms with the price. Still feels like almost a 100% overpay. I have a hard time imagining some other team was offering him, say, $12M, and we had to beat it by a lot to get him.

To some extent I think WR are just worth that much these days if they’re good, and ravens fans just aren’t used to that cause we never pay them past their first contract.

If he’s a 65-1000 guy he was worth every penny imo. Or at they very least not really overpaid. The big question is the likelihood of that. Still not great imo due to injury history, but certainly possible.

#130 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:43 PM

Not quite a rounding error, but an extra $3M against the 2024 cap doesn't really sway my opinion that much compared to the roughly $11M he's going to count even if he doesn't play a snap.  About $1.5-2M of the incentives seem quite reachable, which would be a good result, but also means he's effectively even more expensive.  I'm glad we have him and I wanted him, but still haven't come to terms with the price.  Still feels like almost a 100% overpay.  I have a hard time imagining some other team was offering him, say, $12M, and we had to beat it by a lot to get him.

Apparently the Jets were offering him like 6 million base with a ton of performance incentives.  So you're probably right.

I agree with you from an accounting perspective, I just don't think the 2024 cap is terribly meaningful with Lamar unsigned.  My median expectation is probably in the range of 500-700 yards while he plays about 12 games.  And this deal is a huge overpay for that production.  But he has some upside based on his past performance if he beats the odds on ACL recovery, so I'm okay with the dice roll there.

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 03:58 PM

They better bubble wrap him in training camp

#132 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2023 - 04:01 PM

They better bubble wrap him in training camp 

Lamar won't be there to throw to him, and he's already played in Monken's offense, so I imagine he'll get very little run in camp.

#133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:33 PM

Best case scenario the Ravens get Lamar locked up. That doesnt happen I wonder if the Ravens would agree not to tag Lamar next year if he signs and gets to training camp on time. Or even OTAs to work with Monken. Potential compromise?
  • cprenegade likes this

#134 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 05:17 AM

Best case scenario the Ravens get Lamar locked up. That doesnt happen I wonder if the Ravens would agree not to tag Lamar next year if he signs and gets to training camp on time. Or even OTAs to work with Monken. Potential compromise?

This is the exact thought I had.  Show up for camp, play on the tag, see how you like the offense.  And a handshake agreement that if we can't do a deal that you like next year, we will let you go to FA to see what you can get without the tag restrictions in place.  It would make sense based on the all in nature of the OBJ signing.  Plus I don't think the Ravens want to go through this again next year.

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:07 PM

247: Odell Beckham Jr. named suspect in assault investigation, per report

https://247sports.co...aq3EyXUB7XqPkcI

#136 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:56 PM

HA HA HA HA HA 😄

#137 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:06 PM

The wise will wait until all the facts come out before rushing to judgment. Not the way it usually goes down these days.

• cprenegade likes this

#138 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 05:13 PM

The wise will wait until all the facts come out before rushing to judgment. Not the way it usually goes down these days.

Exact same thing I was thinking.  There is a legal principle called the presumption of innocence with the burden of proof falling on those to prove someone guilty.   Somehow over time and the 24 hour media cycle, the court of public opinion usually jumps immediately to guilty with the burden of proof on the accused to prove his/her innocence.

#139 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 06:14 PM

Exact same thing I was thinking. There is a legal principle called the presumption of innocence with the burden of proof falling on those to prove someone guilty. Somehow over time and the 24 hour media cycle, the court of public opinion usually jumps immediately to guilty with the burden of proof on the accused to prove his/her innocence.

Presumption of innocence is from the state. OBJ isn't in prison right now, so that's intact.

There is no presumption of innocence, or guilt, from public perception. Every one of us is free to make up our minds on anyone's case as soon as it happens. I'm bummed this story exists, but from the only article I've read on it, doesn't sound like it's a very credible accusation. I'd like to find out more.

#140 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 10:52 PM

I read a report somewhere that said the club owner reviewed security footage and never saw the accuser and OBJ interact, so im definitely not rushing to judgement on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=