Photo

Balt Sun: Ravens free agency guide: Prepare for limited action as focus remains on QB Lamar Jackson and his potential suitors

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:11 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens free agency guide: Prepare for limited action as focus remains on QB Lamar Jackson and his potential suitors

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:52 AM

Saw a few rumors out there that the Ravens are attempting to obtain Hopkins, and also Kupp. Not sure how true either rumor is, but the Kupp rumor came out of nowhere.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 11:01 AM

The receiver talent via trade is far more appealing than the free agent options.

Trading Kupp, however, would result in $24 million in dead money for the Rams. And how would the Ravens be able to fit his $15 million base salary under their cap, particularly with the Lamar question unsettled?

I can see this as a very quiet free agency period for the Ravens. Then again, if you expect disappointment, then you're never really disappointed. Or so the saying goes.

• bmore_ken likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 11:28 AM

Trading Kupp, however, would result in $24 million in dead money for the Rams. And how would the Ravens be able to fit his $15 million base salary under their cap, particularly with the Lamar question unsettled?

Same way they would fit Hopkins' $19.45M salary under the cap.  You extend and/or restructure the contract to lower the number then hope the future bigger caps allow you to not get burnt too badly on the back end.

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 11:59 AM

Ravens cut Calais Campbell.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:04 PM

Interesting.  Wonder if they asked him to take a paycut or rework his deal just like Edwards and Pierce had but Campbell wasn't willing?

Another vet at the end of his career who came in and made a big impact for the Ravens.  Would like to see him back if they can get the money right.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:15 PM

The first Lamar casualty.

• cprenegade likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:15 PM

Ben Powers supposedly heading to Denver.

@mikeghg

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:17 PM

The receiver talent via trade is far more appealing than the free agent options.

I can see this as a very quiet free agency period for the Ravens. Then again, if you expect disappointment, then you're never really disappointed. Or so the saying goes.

Part of me wonders if this isn't the Ravens leaking these rumors. Some kind of ploy to sway Lamar somewhat. Like a, 'look what were gonna do if you sign long term and give us some cap flexibility.'

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:51 PM

The only semblance of leadership on this team. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,976 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:54 PM

The only semblance of leadership on this team.

Roquan.
  • makoman likes this

#12 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

Same way they would fit Hopkins' $19.45M salary under the cap.  You extend and/or restructure the contract to lower the number then hope the future bigger caps allow you to not get burnt too badly on the back end.

Not for a receiver who will be playing in his age 30 season next year and is also coming off a high-ankle sprain which required surgery.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:57 PM

Not for a receiver who will be playing in his age 30 season next year and is also coming off a high-ankle sprain which required surgery.

I'll flat out guarantee that if either Hopkins or Kupp are traded, their new teams restructure or extend them to reduce the 2023 cap hit.  Maybe the Bears or Falcons could be the lone exception since they have so much cap room.

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:12 PM

I'll flat out guarantee that if either Hopkins or Kupp are traded, their new teams restructure or extend them to reduce the 2023 cap hit.  Maybe the Bears or Falcons could be the lone exception since they have so much cap room.

I realize the Rams are in reset mode, so they could conceivably be looking to trade Kupp (although they've stated he's "untouchable.") But that's a huge cap hit unless they trade him post-June, by which time most teams will have already accounted for much of their cap space.

Hopkins is just a flat-out no. Talented, to be sure, but has missed significant time each of the past two years. People lost it when Ronnie Stanley was out for a significant of time; imagine the reaction around here if a guy costing more than that also missed a lot of time. Hopkins also has a no-trade provision in his current contract. 

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:15 PM

I realize the Rams are in reset mode, so they could conceivably be looking to trade Kupp (although they've stated he's "untouchable.") But that's a huge cap hit unless they trade him post-June, by which time most teams will have already accounted for much of their cap space.

Hopkins is just a flat-out no. Talented, to be sure, but has missed significant time each of the past two years. People lost it when Ronnie Stanley was out for a significant of time; imagine the reaction around here if a guy costing more than that also missed a lot of time. Hopkins also has a no-trade provision in his current contract. 

Are you saying what you would do or what you expect teams will do?  I'd be shocked if Hopkins plays 2023 on his $19.5M base salary, and I'd strongly be expecting a contract extension if he's traded.

#16 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:28 PM

Are you saying what you would do or what you expect teams will do?  I'd be shocked if Hopkins plays 2023 on his $19.5M base salary, and I'd strongly be expecting a contract extension if he's traded.

I'm saying I can't expect teams to offer him anything beyond what his current contract calls for, which includes a base salary of $19 million for 2023 (with a $29 million cap number, which a trading team obviously would not have to absorb). There simply are very few running backs or receivers who play at a consistently high level to age 30 and beyond, and Hopkins will be 31 by the time next season rolls around. The most propitious time to acquire a guy at that price was when the Cardinals actually got him from the Texans in 2017.

Whether Arizona truly intends to blow things up this year remains to be seen, but the fact is they're not in a bad way cap-wise. Even with Hopkins on the books, they still have some $35 million in cap space to work with. And that's with their quarterback already signed.

#17 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 07:04 PM

Roquan.

Fair

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users