#1 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:22 AM

Chuck Clark has been dealt to the NY Jets for a 7th round pick.

• sandiegosean likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:25 AM

And Twitter is shocked that we couldn't get more for Chuck Clark. LOL

He was going to be a cap casualty, so getting anything for him is a bonus.  

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:28 AM

Guess this answers the question of if trades can be agreed to and announced ahead of the league year actually starting and the trades being processed.  Figured they could but I couldn't recall if it was common or not.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:29 AM

Not even this year's 7th.  A 2024 7th.  

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:37 AM

A payroll clear move, so they can get under the cap.

Good Luck Chuck Clark.

He is a good football player and was a good Raven.

• JStruds likes this
@mikeghg

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:40 AM

A payroll clear move, so they can get under the cap.
Good Luck Chuck Clark.
He is a good football player and was a good Raven.

Yeah they need like 9M for Lamar and this gets close to 4M. He was a good smart player but was a liability in coverage too often and was going to lose a lot of PT so I guess everyone knew he’d probably be cut.
  • Mike B likes this

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:27 PM

Knowing that the Ravens have to get under the cap likely diminishes what other teams will offer in any type of trade. Free agency starts in a week or so and that will provide its own opportunities. The Jets just avoided having to compete with other potential suitors by trading for Clark now. 

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:36 PM

Knowing that the Ravens have to get under the cap likely diminishes what other teams will offer in any type of trade. Free agency starts in a week or so and that will provide its own opportunities. The Jets just avoided having to compete with other potential suitors by trading for Clark now. 

Maybe, but the Ravens aren't far over and they have tons of easy moves they can make to generate the space needed and more (including releasing Clark).  Also don't think Clark had much trade value at all, and think that's the driving factor for the meager return and not any desperation from the Ravens.

#9 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:08 PM

Maybe, but the Ravens aren't far over and they have tons of easy moves they can make to generate the space needed and more (including releasing Clark).  Also don't think Clark had much trade value at all, and think that's the driving factor for the meager return and not any desperation from the Ravens.

I think we got a bit more cap savings by trading Clark vs cutting him but I could be mistaken.

Before the move with Clark, we probably needed to shed around 15 million to get cap compliant, have enough to sign draft picks and carry some space into the season. So now we need to clear about 11 million more. Since we still need to augment the roster, more moves will need to be made to create more space.

Veterans like Campbell and Zeitler could be vulnerable to cuts or extended. Gus Edwards could be cut. Then we have the handful of big contracts (Stanley, Humphrey, Andrews, maybe Williams) that we can restructure. 

• makoman likes this
@primetime667083

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:19 PM

I think we got a bit more cap savings by trading Clark vs cutting him but I could be mistaken.

Its the same.

Before the move with Clark, we probably needed to shed around 15 million to get cap compliant, have enough to sign draft picks and carry some space into the season. So now we need to clear about 11 million more. Since we still need to augment the roster, more moves will need to be made to create more space.

Veterans like Campbell and Zeitler could be vulnerable to cuts or extended. Gus Edwards could be cut. Then we have the handful of big contracts (Stanley, Humphrey, Andrews, maybe Williams) that we can restructure. 

Needed to shed $9-10M to get under the cap with the exclusive tag.

You don't need additional space until you're gonna try to use it.  So if they wanna sign a free agent early on, they'll need to generate more space with restructures and cuts. 

They need to have a plan in mind to generate the space needed to sign draft picks, carry a full roster including practice squad, and have some margin available for in-season additions.  But you don't have to execute that plan and start generating the space until you reach those points in time.

Lamar is the elephant in the room for this discussion as well.  If he's traded, you generate $32M in space. If he's extended, it depends on the offer sheet or extension terms, but the cap hit like goes down by maybe $15M or so.

#11 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:21 PM

This is more about doing right by the player than anything

@fuzydunlop

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:26 PM

This is more about doing right by the player than anything

Is being trading to the Jets a solid compared to a release? :)

#13 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:32 PM

Is being trading to the Jets a solid compared to a release? :)

Maybe if he wouldn’t get $4.1M as a FA. Elliott got 1/1.1M last year for example.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:37 PM

Maybe if he wouldn’t get $4.1M as a FA. Elliott got 1/1.1M last year for example.

Good point.  I guess the Jets aren't likely to cut him before his roster bonus is due.  

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:38 PM

The Jets are under no obligation to keep him either. Would think they'll try to negotiate a cheaper price with him, and if it doesn't work they cut him loose and it only cost them a 7th Rd pick a year down the road. No big loss.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:41 PM

Yeah they need like 9M for Lamar and this gets close to 4M. He was a good smart player but was a liability in coverage too often and was going to lose a lot of PT so I guess everyone knew he’d probably be cut.

Yea, I knew they were not going to get much.  The closer to the LOS, the better Clark was.  It is Kyle Hamilton's turn.  I look forward  to seeing Hamilton and Williams playing safety next year.

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#17 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:44 PM

That's right:

Brian McFarland
@RavensSalaryCap
This will save the Ravens $4.14M in Cap space. Had he been released, the savings would have been about $600K less, since some of his base salary was gtd.

https://twitter.com/...870474991247361

• Mackus and PrimeTime like this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:58 PM

That's right:

Brian McFarland
@RavensSalaryCap
This will save the Ravens $4.14M in Cap space. Had he been released, the savings would have been about $600K less, since some of his base salary was gtd.

https://twitter.com/...870474991247361

My apologies to Jamie, I did not realize this.  Definitely makes a trade more appealing.

#19 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 March 2023 - 03:04 PM

My apologies to Jamie, I did not realize this.  Definitely makes a trade more appealing.

All good.

At this point, every penny we can save is critical. 

@primetime667083

#20 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 03:04 PM

Chuck Clark was about as value-less in coverage downfield as ANY type of safety can get. Zero ball skills. Maybe negative ball skills. Matt Elam class coverage ability...

I personally don't care much for safety play around the line in general. Let your DL and LBs handle that stuff. The position of safety was named so for a reason... stay back and cover, jump up to tackle as needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=