242 replies to this topic

#221 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,091 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 12:55 AM

Yeah, not a good response. I thought he understood the expectations at MD. He apparently doesnt get it either. MD fans want more than early tourny exits.

#222 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 March 2023 - 01:30 AM

It’s about expectations, and they’ve exceeded them. I think the expectations were deserving. He didn’t have much time to put this together. He convinced the key guys to stay. But he has no bench, though you’ve seen the way he’s brought Emilien along, but just not a very deep rotation at all. Reese’s improvement throughout the year as well. It’s disappointing to get bounced. Hope they can win a couple next weekend for us. Would be amaze. They have it in them. But even to be at the dance is more than I was expecting this season. It’s still two thumbs up for me. I understand your frustration though.
  • BobPhelan, BSLZackKiesel and BSLRoseKatz like this

#223 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, not a good response. I thought he understood the expectations at MD. He apparently doesnt get it either. MD fans want more than early tourny exits.

Dude you’re like the only person I have heard of that doesn’t think Willard’s first year is a major success. He is the 1st MD Men’s BBall coach to win 20+ games and make it to the dance in his first year. I had zero confidence in this happening when I first saw this roster. Fantastic job by Willard and anyone who says otherwise is being contrarian!

#224 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 March 2023 - 07:20 AM

I believe TwentyThirtyFive would respect Willard more if he lost on purpose for multiple years with the promise it'll be worth it for the future 

• You Play to Win the Game, Hooded Viper and Mike in STL like this

she/her

#225 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:23 AM

Any big picture criticism of Willard's first year here is hard to respect and take seriously.  Its not a great year compared to where we ultimately need to go, but for the first year under a new coach its completely smashed any fair expectations.

• You Play to Win the Game and Hooded Viper like this

#226 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:05 AM

I'm pleased of where things are with Willard, and where I think the program is heading. 
I also give Willard a lot of credit for righting the ship, when this team was 2-4 in conference, and the path to dancing didn't look great.
I think he did an excellent job during the year of connecting with the fanbase, former players, and establishing himself as the guy. Recruiting class looks strong, and he also seems to understand the local relationships, and efforts he needs to have. 

For me though, I don't feel this was a particularly surprising season, and certainly don't feel expectations were smashed. 

It's college basketball in '22-'23, there are high levels of turnover to rosters annually. 

Yes, he had to implement his system, build relationships, learn his guys, have them learn him, him learn a new league...  (on top of him finding his way in a new market, and all of the off-court personal things for him)... get that, respect that. 

But when Scott, Hart, and Reese returned...he had an anchor core. 
When he added Young and Carey, he also added further experience. 

The real questions at the start of the year were: 

1) How big a leap does Reese make?

2) Are Young and Carey basically the same, a step back, or any better than Fatts, and Ayala?
3) You don't have real front-court depth, can you get past that, especially in games where Reese gets in foul trouble?

It was known that if Young and Carey were basically equal to Fatts and Ayala... then this team would have the potential to dance, and to even be a back end Top 25 team, particularly if Reese took a Sophomore leap. 

I'm not complaining at all. 
There was a lot going on this year, and we're several years away from Willard having a roster of his guys.
But when you start 4 seniors and a talented soph..   and you have guys with the experience of Emilien, and Martinez off the bench, then to me this team performed well within reasonable expectations. 

I'd expect Batchelor, and Swanton-Rodger to be back.  Have to think Cornish is gone, I also think there must be something beyond ability going on there.  Maybe practice effort, something. 

Anyway, there dancing tomorrow.  Maybe they'll win 2 games.  They're capable of that. 
And then it's on to next year, and rising expectations.  Would be awesome if Young came back. 

#227 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:12 AM

Young and Carey being equal to Ayala and Fatts was a big damn if. And it didn't even come true, since Carey was a flop until very recently.

It being possible to be this good if things went great isn't the same as that being the baseline expectation.

Agree capable of two wins. Don't expect a second round win, but will be disappointed with a first round loss.

#228 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:24 AM

No it wasn't. You had a CUSA 1st team guy. You knew it was a leap up to the Big Ten, but not particularly different then Fatts going from the A10. Nobody would have thought you would get 2nd team Big Ten production, but you were pretty clearly going to get something.

Carey had been on a horrible Georgetown team, but he got a lot of minutes and shot well in the last Power 6 conference. Again, it was clear you should get something there.

I don't think things went great.

Reese didn't make a huge leap.

Carey struggled shooting all year.

Willard was starting the year touting Scott as 1st team Big Ten, and Scott didn't deliver that.

The road struggles...

I think overall the year was directly in line with what they should have done. Dont think they over performed or under performed.

They did over perform the expectations that largely existed at 2-4, but only slightly.

Anyways, on to the dance.

#229 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:26 AM

That's a crazy opinion to me, but glad we're dancing.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#230 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 March 2023 - 09:29 AM

Also for fun, every power conference school that got a new head coach and if they're projected to make the tournament

Louisville: lol no

Duke: yes, but that was a retirement instead of a resignation or firing

K-State: resounding yes, projected #4 seed right now

Butler: no

SHU: no, might say something about Willard they got worse without him poaching anyone notable from their roster for UMD

Villanova: yes, but another retirement where the program was in a good place

Xavier: yes, great work by Sean Miller

Florida: no

Georgia: no

LSU: no

Miss St: right on the edge of the bubble, might be a yes

Mizzou: yes, #7 seed for Lunardi right now

South Carolina: no

she/her

#231 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:07 PM

Not that I was really actually rooting for Purdue necessarily, but I am glad they pulled away. Would’ve been a special kind of bitter after last night if friggin’ Ohio St went to the Final.

#232 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:32 PM

When Alabama turns it on they are gonna be tough to beat.

Other Big 10 and SEC semis coming up.

Big East Big 12 ACC and PAC 12 all have their title games tonight.

Outstanding day of college basketball. Enjoy

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#233 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:36 PM

Btw bracket pool is back this week. Anyone on here that has done it in the past will automatically receive another invite. If you’ve never played and want to hit me up and I’ll get you registered.

@bopper33

#234 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:40 PM

Local school Howard is dancing

@bopper33

#235 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 03:40 PM

You’re just never gonna give this guy a break eh?

@bopper33

#236 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 04:03 PM

Also for fun, every power conference school that got a new head coach and if they're projected to make the tournament

Louisville: lol no

Duke: yes, but that was a retirement instead of a resignation or firing

K-State: resounding yes, projected #4 seed right now

Butler: no

SHU: no, might say something about Willard they got worse without him poaching anyone notable from their roster for UMD

Villanova: yes, but another retirement where the program was in a good place

Xavier: yes, great work by Sean Miller

Florida: no

Georgia: no

LSU: no

Miss St: right on the edge of the bubble, might be a yes

Mizzou: yes, #7 seed for Lunardi right now

South Carolina: no

You have Villanova making the tournament?

#237 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 March 2023 - 04:05 PM

You have Villanova making the tournament?

LOL yeah hold on that one is incorrect. Another win for Kevin! 

she/her

#238 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 March 2023 - 05:37 PM

Looks like it’ll be Purdue vs. Penn State tomorrow, such an impressive run from the Nittany Lions.
@BSLZackKiesel

#239 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:18 PM

Looks like it’ll be Purdue vs. Penn State tomorrow, such an impressive run from the Nittany Lions.

They got hot vs. Northwestern, stole the game in the last 7 minutes vs. Maryland and got their confidence.

@mikeghg

#240 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,091 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:41 PM

Dude you’re like the only person I have heard of that doesn’t think Willard’s first year is a major success. He is the 1st MD Men’s BBall coach to win 20+ games and make it to the dance in his first year. I had zero confidence in this happening when I first saw this roster. Fantastic job by Willard and anyone who says otherwise is being contrarian!

It is a fine season. Especially for year 1. Thats a BS response though. Hes gonna get that question or ones like it every single year the team loses in tournaments early. That skin better grow thicker quickly or he better start showing his teams are different

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=