#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2023 - 09:37 AM

They’re flawed to be sure. Again, I’m in the playing with house money mindset. Not that last night didn’t piss me off. But I do think Ohio St has figured something out. Totally different team their last 3 games out now. That said, totally on board with managing expectations. I think that’s wise.

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 09:46 AM

That is also going on 3+ months ago.

But there weren't any neutral court games in the interim.

Road games are a disaster, I don't think we can expect a turnaround there.  But there is only one left. 

I do think that the early season success gives some reason to be optimistic that the issues are specifically with playing at some other team's home court instead of being issues with playing anywhere away from College Park.  That's the hope at least, and I don't think its a completely naive one.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#63 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:20 AM

Strange to me that they would be competent on a neutral court but so terrible on the road.  The only real difference is the crowd, but you would think with a senior-laden team that wouldn't have so much of an impact.

Honestly I think the officiating has a lot to do with it. I feel like MD got a lot of benefit of the calls at home, and the opposite on the road.  I wonder how closely the conference looks at things like that.  I'm not sure it's really measurable aside from number of fouls called which doesn't tell the full story.

#64 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:24 AM

I’d love to see a breakdown of home vs. road records in the Big Ten versus the other major conferences. Just feels like it’s tougher to win on the road in this conference, due to both good crowds at most arenas and the fact that it seems the referees are much more forgiving to home teams.
@BSLZackKiesel

#65 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:35 AM

It seems tougher but you just have to play well. Road teams win all the time. Indiana got boat raced at home by a team that’s allergic to defense the other night. Penn St beat Northwestern on the road last night. Rutgers came from behind to secure a great road win Happy Valley Sunday. Indiana won handily at Mackey last week. Sure the numbers bear out that it’s a tough conference to win on the road in. Maryland is too good to play as poorly as they do on the road though.
  • Mackus likes this

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 10:50 AM

It seems tougher but you just have to play well. Road teams win all the time. Indiana got boat raced at home by a team that’s allergic to defense the other night. Penn St beat Northwestern on the road last night. Rutgers came from behind to secure a great road win Happy Valley Sunday. Indiana won handily at Mackey last week. Sure the numbers bear out that it’s a tough conference to win on the road in. Maryland is too good to play as poorly as they do on the road though.

Right.  It can be and seemingly is very difficult to win on the road in the Big Ten for everybody, but that still doesn't come close to excusing 1-8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=