Photo

College Football 2023: General Talk (Michigan Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2023 - 05:59 PM

The Daily Northwestern: Former NU football player details hazing after coach suspension

1. I don't think Pat Fitzgerald ultimately survives this with his job, nor should he.

2. Kudos to the Northwestern student paper for shining a light on something their school's "leaders" attempted to make look relatively benign.

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 10:42 AM

@insidenu
11h
NEW: Northwestern President Michael Schill writes about Pat Fitzgerald's suspension, "I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn't know and not enough on what he should've known," in an email. Added he would assess with NU leadership to decide the next steps.

He’s toast.

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:49 PM

The Daily Northwestern: Former NU players describe racist environment in football program

https://dailynorthwe...otball-program/

In addition to hazing which included sexual assault, you can add racism to the growing list of allegations against Pat Fitzgerald and Northwestern's football program.

@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:46 PM

Northwestern has fired Pat Fitzgerald.

@BSLZackKiesel

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:53 PM

Anyone wanna guess what some of the discussion topics at the upcoming Big Ten Football Media Days event will be? Anyone?

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:33 PM

NU's announcement of Pat Fitzgerald's firing.

So now the obvious question is: What changed between Friday, when he was given a two week unpaid suspension, and today? Is it nothing more than the public learning some of the details via the student paper? I think someone ought to have to answer for that.

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:52 PM

NU's announcement of Pat Fitzgerald's firing.

So now the obvious question is: What changed between Friday, when he was given a two week unpaid suspension, and today? Is it nothing more than the public learning some of the details via the student paper? I think someone ought to have to answer for that.

Based on the university president’s statement, it doesn’t seem like he was presented with any new information. He just changed his mind, presumably after seeing the public outrage. So yeah, not great.
@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:59 PM

Based on the university president’s statement, it doesn’t seem like he was presented with any new information. He just changed his mind, presumably after seeing the public outrage. So yeah, not great.

This whole thing is very reminiscent of 2018 Maryland.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:31 PM

Fitzgerald released a statement to ESPN, essentially asking the same question as everyone else (though no doubt from a very different point of view) as to why he was given a two-week summer suspension on Friday, then fired three days later based on the exact same information. And, of course, he's lawyered up.

https://twitter.com/...587019168038912

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 08:47 AM

CFN: 2023 Win Totals

https://collegefootb...ftkings-fanduel

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:06 AM

CBS Sports: SEC Media Days 2023

https://www.cbssport...h-in-nashville/

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 09:09 AM

CBS Sports: Alabama relying on unusually young roster to avoid first three-year national title drought under Nick Saban

https://www.cbssport...der-nick-saban/

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 July 2023 - 12:36 PM

Jim Harbaugh facing a four-game suspension for recruiting violations. Made impermissible contact during dead periods, and had a defensive analyst coaching on the field.

As usual, he’s scheduled a slate full of cupcakes in the non-conference. He’d miss games against East Carolina, Bowling Green, UNLV, and Rutgers.
@BSLZackKiesel

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:32 PM

Crazy story that’s been breaking today regarding Iowa State starting QB Hunter Dekkers. He apparently placed a lot of bets via Draft Kings on numerous ISU sports, including at least one Cyclones football game. Where it really gets gross is his own parents apparently attempted to help him conceal his identity. Aside from his college career probably being over, have to think he could be facing criminal charges.

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,116 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 August 2023 - 09:42 AM

Crazy story that’s been breaking today regarding Iowa State starting QB Hunter Dekkers. He apparently placed a lot of bets via Draft Kings on numerous ISU sports, including at least one Cyclones football game. Where it really gets gross is his own parents apparently attempted to help him conceal his identity. Aside from his college career probably being over, have to think he could be facing criminal charges.

People that bet the ISU over are probably pretty bitter right now.  No chance books refund those bets.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:13 AM

People that bet the ISU over are probably pretty bitter right now.  No chance books refund those bets.

From what I understand he didn’t play in any of the games he bet on. But he for sure had insider info he could use to his advantage. Where he’s probably really in hot water is he apparently tried to interfere with the probe looking into his bets, so would think he might face obstruction charges. And the part about his parents trying to help hide his identity is pathetic. People, the online sports books know exactly who you are. Gambling is too heavily regulated for them not to invest a lot of resources into that sort of thing.

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,116 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:24 AM

From what I understand he didn’t play in any of the games he bet on. But he for sure had insider info he could use to his advantage. Where he’s probably really in hot water is he apparently tried to interfere with the probe looking into his bets, so would think he might face obstruction charges. And the part about his parents trying to help hide his identity is pathetic. People, the online sports books know exactly who you are. Gambling is too heavily regulated for them not to invest a lot of resources into that sort of thing.

I meant for this upcoming season.  Not sure what ISU's win total was heading into this year, probably pretty low, but it's gotta be either off the board or significantly less now that their starting QB is likely donezo.

@bopper33

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:29 AM

I meant for this upcoming season.  Not sure what ISU's win total was heading into this year, probably pretty low, but it's gotta be either off the board or significantly less now that their starting QB is likely donezo.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the books don’t care. No different than if he got injured.

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,116 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:36 AM

Hmmm, on DK their win total is 5?  The under is juiced to -130

Am I missing something?  I know the Big 12 isn't great outside of the top two -- but TCU and Baylor should be ok also

5 seems like a lot.  

@bopper33

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,116 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:37 AM

Out of conference they play Northern Iowa, Iowa, Ohio, and BYU

8 conference games are:  OSU, at Oklahoma, TCU, at Cincy, at Baylor, Kansas, Texas, at K State

I am taking under 5 there.

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=