Photo

2023 MLB General Talk (Texas Wins World Series)

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#21 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:49 AM

Arson Judge sounds like the next bad CBS one hour drama that my mom would watch.

heyman1.jpg

How can you not love Winter Meetings Twitter? The best part was, Aaron Judge to the Giants was not even true! LOL.

Aaron Judge has agreed to a nine-year, $360 million deal to spend his 30s donning pinstripes in the Bronx.  

https://www.espn.com...ign-aaron-judge

#22 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:57 AM

With the way things are breaking, I would opine that we have to be at the top of the list for Rodon. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#23 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:24 AM

With the way things are breaking, I would opine that we have to be at the top of the list for Rodon.

That's funny.

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:26 AM

That's funny.

Yeah, no way that's happening.

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:37 AM

Only 5 1/2 hours until the high anticipated 2022 Rule 5 draft.

#26 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:54 AM

That's funny.

I'm not thinking that we would shell out the money but given that Philly, the Mets, the Cubs and Yanks have made their big moves and that Rodon already opted out of San Fran, what suitors are left? St Louis? Would the Dodgers or Padres really look to add another big contract? Again, I get the skepticism, I'm just looking around at teams that have state their desire to add starting pitching and we're one of the few left.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:57 AM

I'm not thinking that we would shell out the money but given that Philly, the Mets, the Cubs and Yanks have made their big moves and that Rodon already opted out of San Fran, what suitors are left? St Louis? Would the Dodgers or Padres really look to add another big contract? Again, I get the skepticism, I'm just looking around at teams that have state their desire to add starting pitching and we're one of the few left.

Holy crap you were serious?  Love the hope, but man, it ain't happening.

Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and Mets are all still looking for pitching.  Plenty of teams that would be interested in Rodon, especially if his salary comes down to the area where the Orioles might be willing.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#28 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:02 PM

Holy crap you were serious?  Love the hope, but man, it ain't happening.

If I don't have hope, what else do I have?

In all seriousness, what other big money team would be in the mix to do a 5-6 year deal for 180 mill? And I'm not saying that the Orioles are a big money team by any means but I really don't what other club would be in the mix for Rodon with the other traditional big spenders already shooting their shots. 

@primetime667083

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

If I don't have hope, what else do I have?

In all seriousness, what other big money team would be in the mix to do a 5-6 year deal for 180 mill? And I'm not saying that the Orioles are a big money team by any means but I really don't what other club would be in the mix for Rodon with the other traditional big spenders already shooting their shots. 

All of the big spending teams are still in the mix.  Dodgers, Mets, Giants, Padres, Astros, Yankees...why would you think any of them are out?

#30 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:06 PM

Elias doesn't chase shiny objects. He's not going to commit extra years or dollars because it's the trendy thing to do in the moment. This is the Houston model part deux and they didn't go all-out on free agent starting pitchers, either. Other than Judge, I think Elias looks at this free agent class as containing no one who qualifies as a must-get, that one guy who can push a guy over the top. At the very least, it doesn't have anything he can't get via free agency later on or perhaps via trade. What might be possible in six months isn't always visible right now.

No Frank Robinsons here.

#31 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 December 2022 - 12:52 PM

All of the big spending teams are still in the mix.  Dodgers, Mets, Giants, Padres, Astros, Yankees...why would you think any of them are out?

I think I already posted what my line of thinking is but to sum up.......Why would Rodon go back to the Giants when he just opted out? Mets and Yankees have spent a bunch of money already. Padres have a bunch of big contracts already and may not be keen to add another. The Dodgers could be a player because they always are.

At some point, the big money teams do stop handing out free agent contracts. If there was ever an opportunity for the Orioles to show that the times are changing, this situation is ripe for it.

Again, I'm not thinking that has any reasonable chance of coming to fruition but again, the opportunity is there. 

@primetime667083

#32 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 December 2022 - 01:08 PM

I think I already posted what my line of thinking is but to sum up.......Why would Rodon go back to the Giants when he just opted out? Mets and Yankees have spent a bunch of money already. Padres have a bunch of big contracts already and may not be keen to add another. The Dodgers could be a player because they always are.

At some point, the big money teams do stop handing out free agent contracts. If there was ever an opportunity for the Orioles to show that the times are changing, this situation is ripe for it.

Again, I'm not thinking that has any reasonable chance of coming to fruition but again, the opportunity is there. 

Just so you can put this thought to bed, Elias said the Oriole model is to sign pitchers who are willing to accept a 1 yr deal. That comment was made about 1/2 hr ago.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 02:46 PM

Players opt out and return to their original team often.  Its no different than a player reaching free agency and then re-signing.  Anthony Rizzo, for example, has done just that already this offseason.  Its just a negotiating stance.  Maybe they're interested, maybe they're not, but ruling the Giants out because Rodon opted out doesn't make much sense.  

Mets and Yankees can always spend more money and have rotation needs.  Mets are lost DeGrom, Walker, and Bassitt from their rotation, so signing Verlander and Quintana doesn't get them back to even yet alone ahead.  The Yankees lost Taillon, so they have a hole to fill.

Padres are throwing tons of moeny around.  Reported huge offers to Turner and Judge.

I hope the O's sign Rodon, but there are tons of other big market teams involved.  It won't be a situation where he falls into their laps.

• makoman likes this

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:02 PM

Why go back to the Giants after opting out? It wasn't personal, he simply had a 1/$22.5M deal for 2023, and had a good enough year where he can start off by asking for 6/$180M. I'm sure if the Giants wanted to meet his price he'd be fine with it, unless he didn't like the org for some reason. I think the Twins and Correa are talking as well.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:09 PM

Why go back to the Giants after opting out? It wasn't personal, he simply had a 1/$22.5M deal for 2023, and had a good enough year where he can start off by asking for 6/$180M. I'm sure if the Giants wanted to meet his price he'd be fine with it, unless he didn't like the org for some reason. I think the Twins and Correa are talking as well.

Nick Martinez is another guy who has already opted out and then resigned with his current team (SD).

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:13 PM

Disappointing as these winter meetings have been, we'll always have Jon Heyman to make us laugh.

FjaP1FeXwAUMh7L.png

#37 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:17 PM

Disappointing as these winter meetings have been, we'll always have Jon Heyman to make us laugh.

FjaP1FeXwAUMh7L.png

This would be the most Orioles move ever.
  • weird-O and bmore_ken like this

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 07:28 PM

This would be the most Orioles move ever.

They did let Matt Harvey pitch in the organization last season, so there's certainly precedence for Coke Hamels.

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:04 PM

They did let Matt Harvey pitch in the organization last season, so there's certainly precedence for Coke Hamels.

Maybe a little coke will get his fastball back over 85.

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:24 PM

Maybe a little coke will get his fastball back over 85.

They would need to give him crack and a bionic arm
  • weird-O likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=