#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:10 PM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...llo-old-friend/

A little Joe Flacco talk for old time sake hon. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, PrimeTime and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:09 AM

I will always be a Joe Flacco fan. We won a lot of games with Flacco under center and I always thought he was a victim of the era he played in. That is to say he was unfortunate to play in an era where multiple HOF caliber quarterbacks were also playing, so Flacco suffered by comparison. I was always of the mindset to not let great be the enemy of good. Joe Flacco was a good quarterback but not great and that was ok.

He really was the perfect quarterback for Baltimore; even the South Jersey accent sounds a little like a Baltimore accent.

With all that said, I'm hoping he throws a couple to Marlon, Marcus, et al this Sunday.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:17 AM

Looking forward to Flacco, also known as the human statue, to be harassed, sacked at least 5 times and maybe a couple of strip fumbles that he was also famously known for.  I don't see this game as very high scoring, especially if it's raining so I feel pretty good about our defense getting off to a good start for 2022. 

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:28 AM

I mean for a guy who always carried pedestrian stats and lost his job, kudos to him still being in the league. Now let's go out and crush  his ass.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

I will always be a Joe Flacco fan. We won a lot of games with Flacco under center and I always thought he was a victim of the era he played in. That is to say he was unfortunate to play in an era where multiple HOF caliber quarterbacks were also playing, so Flacco suffered by comparison. I was always of the mindset to not let great be the enemy of good. Joe Flacco was a good quarterback but not great and that was ok.

He really was the perfect quarterback for Baltimore; even the South Jersey accent sounds a little like a Baltimore accent.

With all that said, I'm hoping he throws a couple to Marlon, Marcus, et al this Sunday.

Tale of two halves of his career here. 1st half he was underrated and good. Not great, but good. 2nd half was mediocrity at best. After the injury in '15 it was pretty bad

#6 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

Is Flacco worse than Zach Wilson right now? I almost think he gives them a better chance than Wilson would've for multiple reasons. Veteran presence, desire to take down his former team, ability to read defenses, etc. Then again, he could come out and drop a stinker and I don't think anyone would be surprised.

@LukeRollfinke

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:17 AM

Joe is/was one of my favorite Ravens. I think he played his best in some of the biggest games.  He always conducted himself with class and still does.  I will be there when he goes into the ROH and be on my feet.  That said, let's take advantage of the Jets Oline and make Joe uncomfortable, and as you said, get him to throw us a couple.

Thanks Joe, but Go Ravens!

@mikeghg

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:23 AM

Never forget

https://i.imgur.com/E4ufOK7.gifv
  • Mike in STL likes this

#9 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:24 AM

Tale of two halves of his career here. 1st half he was underrated and good. Not great, but good. 2nd half was mediocrity at best. After the injury in '15 it was pretty bad

I will always assert that the organization did Flacco dirty. After signing Joe to a contract extension, in the next 5 drafts, we only used 4, day 1 and day 2 picks COMBINED on offensive players. Those players were Ronnie Stanley, Breshad Perriman, Crockett Gilmore and Maxx Williams. So you ink a quarterback to a record setting deal at the time and then almost completely ignore the most cost effective means to surround him with talent. All the while, the team had no issue signing defensive free agents and giving an interior Dlineman a monster contract, despite the team showing an ability to find quality interior linemen in the middle and late rounds.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:43 AM

Never forget

https://i.imgur.com/E4ufOK7.gifv

I am biased, but that throw was one of the absolute greatest of All time, and I do not mean just in Ravens history.

@mikeghg

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 01:18 PM

I am biased, but that throw was one of the absolute greatest of All time, and I do not mean just in Ravens history.

One of my favorite moments in Baltimore sports history. Of any sport. But to this day, I still can't believe that pass resulted in a touchdown. It was underthrown, Jones had stop to catch it and the Bronco secondary inexplicably butchered the play. It was truly the Mile High miracle.

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 04:56 PM

mweb disagrees

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,553 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 September 2022 - 05:45 PM

Wasn’t an amazing throw. Just an absurd defensive melt down by the Broncos.

I’ll take it!
  • bmore_ken likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

I've long said that game in general doesn't get the talk among "greatest of all time" that I think it deserves.

I wouldn't downplay the throw itself at all. It was brutally cold, and the magnitude of the moment was enormous. Yes, the safety should have been deeper, at least enough to make the tackle if not break it up. But I've also always been of the opinion that the Broncos in general probably didn't appreciate the upper limits of his arm strength going in to that game. Remember that wasn't his only big play down field that game. Plus the 1s would face Peyton a lot in practices (obviously) and probably never worried too much about him throwing massive rainbows over their heads. He burned CBs over the top without safety help several times earlier, including one if I recall that Joe just overthrew but was a walk in 6 if not.

His throw to Pitta on a 3rd and long from his own goal line in OT was probably a better read and throw from a technical standpoint.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#15 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:06 PM

What did we make of Flacco today? Seemed like about what I expected. Zero mobility, poor accuracy, a couple solid throws, but an overall representation of what he often did towards the end of his time in Baltimore. 

@LukeRollfinke

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:14 PM

What did we make of Flacco today? Seemed like about what I expected. Zero mobility, poor accuracy, a couple solid throws, but an overall representation of what he often did towards the end of his time in Baltimore. 

Still a plus arm, slow feet.  Jets did no favors by not doing more mass protect.  Too many pass attempts, obviously they escalated when the score ballooned. 

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:15 PM

He clearly showed why Lamar Jackson took his job.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:17 PM

Said it in the game thread. Exactly like Flacco here from '16-'18. SG would still be saying you can win with him, he is solid, just get into the playoffs baby.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

I thought Joe played as I thought he would yesterday.  He can still throw the football, but if you keep him muddy in the pocket, he is going to get uncomfortable and make a mistake or two.  The Ravens gave up a few good runs but overall forced the Jets to throw (59 times) and that is never a good thing for Joe.

@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:49 AM

One of my favorite moments in Baltimore sports history. Of any sport. But to this day, I still can't believe that pass resulted in a touchdown. It was underthrown, Jones had stop to catch it and the Bronco secondary inexplicably butchered the play. It was truly the Mile High miracle.

He was going against his body and Miller was closing down on him.  In my mind, it was an incredible throw.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=