• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Devin Burns is out for season with foot injury. So Maryland is left with Caleb Rowe and... ?

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Devin Burns is out for season with foot injury. So Maryland is left with Caleb Rowe and... ?

How/when exactly did he get injured? I saw the reports that he was being driven to classes in a gator. Really I didn't think much when Rowe played the final series, just thought they wanted the better arm.
@levineps

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

This has gone beyond ridiculous. Curious to know who plays when Rowe goes down.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Unreal.

#5 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Sean Petty is the back up QB and he was playing Linebacker. He played QB in high school but that is not what he was recruited to play which is concerning. This is ridiculous. The football gods truly hate Maryland because they are a competent team this year. All jokes aside, Caleb Rowe has a nice arm and can make nice throws. I see Maryland moving towards a west coast spread attack. He is not much off a read option quarterback, so that is really what they're left with.
@Langley486

#6 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

How/when exactly did he get injured? I saw the reports that he was being driven to classes in a gator. Really I didn't think much when Rowe played the final series, just thought they wanted the better arm.

No, you're right. They did want the arm when Rowe went in but Burns got hurt in the third quarter. He kept playing and that may have done him in ultimately.
  • Oriole85 likes this
@Langley486

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

No, you're right. They did want the arm when Rowe went in but Burns got hurt in the third quarter. He kept playing and that may have done him in ultimately.

Thanks for clarifying I was at the game, I'm not sure if this injury was noted on TV or not OR just discovered after the game.
@levineps

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wonder what DOB thoughts on this matter are?
@levineps

#9 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying I was at the game, I'm not sure if this injury was noted on TV or not OR just discovered after the game.

I believe after he ran once, he was limping for a little bit while getting the play from the sideline. It wasn't noticeable the rest of the game so I figured he was okay. Tough break because he played so well. Must have been a great game to be at!
@Langley486

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I believe after he ran once, he was limping for a little bit while getting the play from the sideline. It wasn't noticeable the rest of the game so I figured he was okay. Tough break because he played so well. Must have been a great game to be at!

It was, as well as disappointing, if they win, it's one of the better ones given the comeback involved.
@levineps

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

3 season ending injuries, after a transfer.

Has there ever been attrition like this at the QB position on one team? Like..in the history of the game, at any level?!

@AdamWolff

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Has there ever been attrition like this at the QB position on one team? Like..in the history of the game, at any level?!

In the final game of the 2004 season, the Terps started the 4th-string QB (Sam Hollenbach) from the preseason depth-chart. So they've tied that dubious distinction this season.....but with 5 games still left.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I posted a similar thought on FB, about MD having the worst luck at any level of football. CJ Brown's was probably the most bizarre(yet we have the least details since it was non-game action) in that he got injured during non-contact drills. But then you got two QB's having season ending injuries in the same game. As I noted in another post, wonder what DOB is thinking -- he'd atleast have a shot at this point as opposed to riding the Wisco bench. Hope he's enjoy those graduate courses!
@levineps

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

In the final game of the 2004 season, the Terps started the 4th-string QB (Sam Hollenbach) from the preseason depth-chart. So they've tied that dubious distinction this season.....but with 5 games still left.

They started Slingin' Sammy, but that was less due to injuries and more due to Joel Stathem, Jordan Steffy and Ryan Mitch. And yes, I had to look those names up--definitely blocked that year out :P

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

They started Slingin' Sammy, but that was less due to injuries and more due to Joel Stathem, Jordan Steffy and Ryan Mitch. And yes, I had to look those names up--definitely blocked that year out :P

I know for a fact that Steffy couldn't play that game due to a concussion he suffered the previous game. I thought Statham got hurt in that game too. I think Mitch left the team during the season, but not 100% sure on that....but am pretty sure both he and Statham transferred eventually. I just remember the game before that finale (a slaughter in a Thursday Night game at VA Tech) it seemed like the Terps were losing one QB after another.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I know for a fact that Steffy couldn't play that game due to a concussion he suffered the previous game. I thought Statham got hurt in that game too. I think Mitch left the team during the season, but not 100% sure on that....but am pretty sure both he and Statham transferred eventually. I just remember the game before that finale (a slaughter in a Thursday Night game at VA Tech) it seemed like the Terps were losing one QB after another.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one healthy quarterback in front of Hollanbach, because I remember that there was some surprise that he would start.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure there was at least one healthy quarterback in front of Hollanbach, because I remember that there was some surprise that he would start.

While Statham was knocked out of the VA Tech game, it might have been that he was still available to play the following Saturday....my memory is a bit cloudy on that. I do know Steffy was ruled out with a concussion. Statham was mostly ineffective in that year as the starter, and I do recall that the final game (a win vs Wake) was an audition of sorts for Hollenbach, in which he did well enough to go into next spring penciled in as the starter. And Sam was the one who had to finish that game at VT....and he looked decent, although VT had obviously cleared the bench and backed off by the time he got in.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

While Statham was knocked out of the VA Tech game, it might have been that he was still available to play the following Saturday....my memory is a bit cloudy on that. I do know Steffy was ruled out with a concussion. Statham was mostly ineffective in that year as the starter, and I do recall that the final game (a win vs Wake) was an audition of sorts for Hollenbach, in which he did well enough to go into next spring penciled in as the starter. And Sam was the one who had to finish that game at VT....and he looked decent, although VT had obviously cleared the bench and backed off by the time he got in.

Yes, I remember now: it was over whether to start a questionable Statham, or give Hollenbach the full-game audition for the following season.

#19 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yes, I remember now: it was over whether to start a questionable Statham, or give Hollenbach the full-game audition for the following season.

Wow. We're talking about Sam Hollenbach. That takes me back, back to says of not wanting to watch Maryland football. But seriously, I remember that year. So many different Qb's. Remember Steffy and Turner?
@Langley486

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Wow. We're talking about Sam Hollenbach. That takes me back, back to says of not wanting to watch Maryland football. But seriously, I remember that year. So many different Qb's. Remember Steffy and Turner?

Hollenbach led them to a 9-win season in 2006. What was so bad about that?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=