HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

ESPN: Fans to vote for 3 frontcourt players

http://espn.go.com/n...all-star-ballot

Sounds almost like MLB voting for three OFs instead of by position. Interesting!
@levineps

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I hate the NBA All Star voting. I wish they'd make the fan vote only a portion, but I suppose it's not unlike the MLB in that it's a popularity contest. If Yao Ming were still on an NBA roster, he'd be a starter every year. That's when you know the system sucks.

@AdamWolff

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I hate the NBA All Star voting. I wish they'd make the fan vote only a portion, but I suppose it's not unlike the MLB in that it's a popularity contest. If Yao Ming were still on an NBA roster, he'd be a starter every year. That's when you know the system sucks.

Admittingly I don't have as much vested in the NBA, but I like the fan voting for all sports. It's an exhibition and it's the fans game. As long as one team isn't overly(and unfairly) represented, I think it's fine.
@levineps

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Admittingly I don't have as much vested in the NBA, but I like the fan voting for all sports. It's an exhibition and it's the fans game. As long as one team isn't overly(and unfairly) represented, I think it's fine.

I'd be OK with it, because as you said, it is an exhibition and it really is all about what the fans want to see.

That said, I have zero tolerance for petty conversations around a players career that revolve around how many times they were an All-Star. That is nearly completely meaningless to me.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'd be OK with it, because as you said, it is an exhibition and it really is all about what the fans want to see.

That said, I have zero tolerance for petty conversations around a players career that revolve around how many times they were an All-Star. That is nearly completely meaningless to me.

I think your last point is interesting, because when comparing players careers -- we discuss how player A made more All-Star teams than player B, among other stats/awards/championships/facts/etc. So fair or unfair, it's a factor in determining a players greatness. But yeah, when some players, Cal Ripken comes to mind are making All-Star teams based on their play in previous seasons, sometimes, a decade before, it's not exactly representative of thier current play as Adam has alluded to as well.
@levineps

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I think your last point is interesting, because when comparing players careers -- we discuss how player A made more All-Star teams than player B, among other stats/awards/championships/facts/etc. So fair or unfair, it's a factor in determining a players greatness. But yeah, when some players, Cal Ripken comes to mind are making All-Star teams based on their play in previous seasons, sometimes, a decade before, it's not exactly representative of thier current play as Adam has alluded to as well.

Exactly - that's why it just doesn't mean anything. An accolade given to a player because of how popular they are (gold gloves for Jeter), are completely meaningless to me when comparing players careers. That's why I pretty much completely disregard stuff like that when discussing players careers.

#7 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

NBA All-Star voting is usually the most correct of all the major sports' fan voting. I actually agree with this change. The days of the pure center are quickly starting to disappear.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=