https://russellstree...dis-way/landry/

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:59 AM

So where does that leave the Ravens and the long-time problematic position of wide receiver? 

So wait. It's a problematic position, but you trade your best one?  :???:

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:24 AM

So wait. It's a problematic position, but you trade your best one? :???:

He requested a trade. I think recent history has shown that trying to force a WR who doesn't want to be on the team, to continue to play for you, typically ends poorly for the team. So EDC was smart, and he maximized his value in a trade that netted him a 1st round pick.

I dont think it's fair to phrase it in a way where it sounds like the FO was irresponsibly trading important assets.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:13 AM

He requested a trade. I think recent history has shown that trying to force a WR who doesn't want to be on the team, to continue to play for you, typically ends poorly for the team. So EDC was smart, and he maximized his value in a trade that netted him a 1st round pick.

I dont think it's fair to phrase it in a way where it sounds like the FO was irresponsibly trading important assets.

The hole in your theory is he would have been playing for his next contract. Which means either he would have balled out to get paid or sulked and got a smaller contract because teams were wary of his attitude. Sometimes you gotta call prima donnas on their shiite.

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:19 AM

I prefer 5 years of Linderbaum over 2 years of Brown.

I’m also not sure if Bateman would ever flourish to his full potential with Brown here. I have a feeling that Lamar was always going to try and keep his best friend happy, even subconsciously, and have a little too much tunnel vision going Brown’s way. I know it’s not proven yet but I think Bateman can be better than Brown.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:55 PM

I never thought Brown was impressive. On a team with a strong WR group he's the third option, or second at best. Give me a perennial pro-bowl center (assuming Linderbaum performs as advertised) over a guy like that all day.

#7 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:10 PM

I want to see what the young WRs on this team are capable of in a larger role, but it's a risk to go into the season relying so heavily on mostly unproven players. This group is currently one injury away from being in real trouble. Obviously we all have high expectations for Bateman, and Andrews makes a big difference, but it would be nice to have some insurance and another option with a complementary skillset.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:40 PM

We will sign or trade for a veteran WR.

Fuller makes sense.

@mikeghg

#9 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

Yeah there's a lot of time left to bring in somebody, and Fuller would be my pick of who's available. He's got his own issues, but those are the only guys left at this point, and the upside is so high if he stays healthy. Worth the risk imo.
  • Mike B likes this

#10 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:16 PM

I never thought Brown was impressive. On a team with a strong WR group he's the third option, or second at best. Give me a perennial pro-bowl center (assuming Linderbaum performs as advertised) over a guy like that all day.

While he is probably never going to be someone like a Metcalf or a Tyreek Hill he is at least a WR2 on most NFL teams and a WR1 on some IMO. I hard disagree that he's a WR3 on pretty much any team. Maybe the Rams after they signed OBJ? But that's about it.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:31 PM

So since he had the best stats among our WRs, you're basically saying our receiving corps sucks? That's comforting. 

#12 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:42 PM

So since he had the best stats among our WRs, you're basically saying our receiving corps sucks? That's comforting.

To be fair Mark Andrews was pretty much our WR1.
He has consistently been top-5 in the league in yards from the slot since 2019.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:45 PM

To be fair Mark Andrews was pretty much our WR1.
He has consistently been top-5 in the league in yards from the slot since 2019.

Andrew's isn't a wr. My fault for not making my comment clearer. It was aimed at the wr position.

#14 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:57 PM

The hole in your theory is he would have been playing for his next contract. Which means either he would have balled out to get paid or sulked and got a smaller contract because teams were wary of his attitude. Sometimes you gotta call prima donnas on their shiite.

And that's how organizations get bad reps. Ravens are highly thought of around league circles, mainly because they don't play stupid games like that.

We've brought in a lot of FA's in the past solely based on our training complex, and our reputation as a top notch front office. Starting to act like the Cleveland Browns isn't the way to continue that.

#15 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:19 PM

Honestly I’m not sure Hollywood is an upgrade on 35 year old DeSean Jackson. Hot takes

• PrimeTime likes this

@fuzydunlop

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:34 PM

Honestly I’m not sure Hollywood is an upgrade on 35 year old DeSean Jackson. Hot takes

DeSean... 2018,19,20,21 combined.... 84 receptions. 
Hollywood 21... 91 receptions. 

Jackson did have vastly superior Y/R. 

Brown's Y/R fell off like crazy once Lamar wasn't available last year.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:36 PM

The guy with 20 catches for under 500 yards receiving last year ? If you say so slick.  :mrgreen:

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:42 PM

I don't think he's the player that Hollywood is, but I'd be happy to add DeSean Jackson.  His one trick is one that I don't think anyone else on the team can match. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#19 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:51 PM

Wow ok I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through there.

@fuzydunlop

#20 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:19 PM

Andrew's isn't a wr. My fault for not making my comment clearer. It was aimed at the wr position.

You wouldn't consider him as at least filling the WR role knowing that he lines up wide on more than half of his routes? Honest question and if the answer is no, I understand.

My comment was mildly hyperbolic but mostly intended to highlight the fact that he lines up wide frequently and is productive there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=