Photo

247: Maryland football coach Mike Locksley explains key to Terps competing in Big Ten East

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:18 PM

247: Maryland football coach Mike Locksley explains key to Terps competing in Big Ten East

https://247sports.co...8MwTzk4eqIl6gks

Read Locksley's comments on the NIL.

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,456 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:24 PM

Again, where is Damon Evans in this conversation? Isn't it his job responsibility to be proactive in ensuring sure his coaches have the tools they need to compete? Is he going to make Locksley go out there and beg for it, on top of already having to recruit and coach the team?

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:28 PM

They just enacted new rules on NIL today so who knows

@fuzydunlop

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:39 PM

They just enacted new rules on NIL today so who knows

By "they" you mean the NCAA? I saw that, and I'll be surprised if it's nothing more than empty rhetoric. When I actually see them investigate and then punish someone for breaking their rules, and more importantly survive the ensuing litigation, I'll believe it. Until then....empty rhetoric.

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:43 PM

It seemed more like a policy as of today going forward to get rid of booster conglomerates but who the hell knows

@fuzydunlop

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:51 PM

Very curious to see how the NCAA handles all this with lawyers salivating over where this is likely heading.

I feel bad for the folks in Indy [NCAA]. There's a reason they weren't enforcing the rules: They know they'll get sued. But coaches/ADs/commissioners are mad and want NCAA enforcement to go bust the cheaters. Wonder whether they'll help pay the legal fees this time.

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:07 PM

This entire NIL deal has made college sports less enjoyable.
  • Old Man likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:15 PM

Not for the players

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:34 PM

It's still going to be the exact same product when you turn on your TV.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:44 PM

I'd certainly rather have guys who are in the program for a longer time than the more constant churn.  No issue at all with the general lament that that has gone away.  I'm willing to pay that cost as a fan, though, if it means the players will be treated like actual citizens who have the right to earn a wage commensurate with the market value of their service.  Nothing stops a comp sci major from taking a paid internship.  Or working an unrelated side job.  I can't bring myself to care if a basketball player gets paid $150k to appear in some car dealership radio ads.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:06 PM

I'd certainly rather have guys who are in the program for a longer time than the more constant churn.  No issue at all with the general lament that that has gone away.  I'm willing to pay that cost as a fan, though, if it means the players will be treated like actual citizens who have the right to earn a wage commensurate with the market value of their service.  Nothing stops a comp sci major from taking a paid internship.  Or working an unrelated side job.  I can't bring myself to care if a basketball player gets paid $150k to appear in some car dealership radio ads.

It's probably a bit tougher to take when your favorite school is among those that seems unwilling or incapable of adapting to the new reality, and so you end up losing more players than you gain.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:39 AM

I don't have a problem with the kids making money (actually like it)... and I suspect what we're seeing in the open is what has always existed in the shadows at many places previously.  So I prefer this.

I do dislike seeing guys practice with the team all Spring, play in the Spring game, and leave the next day.  That's ridiculous. 

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:43 AM

Im for college kids getting paid but the transfer portal, NIL, and specifically the number of additions and subtractions every single year has turned me off to the product. To be fair Ive never been a college football fan but was a huge basketball fan. Even if Maryland becomes a Top 5 basketball team Im not sure Id care that much.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:47 AM

Im for college kids getting paid but the transfer portal, NIL, and specifically the number of additions and subtractions every single year has turned me off to the product. To be fair Ive never been a college football fan but was a huge basketball fan. Even if Maryland becomes a Top 5 basketball team Im not sure Id care that much.

Hard to disagree. Although I’m all in on Maryland basketball so I’ll be as hardcore as they come if that happens.

That said, I think a lot of people probably feel like you do about all this, but maybe we weren’t supposed to have this in the first place? It’s just dead wrong to watch these unpaid amateurs entertain us all these years and them not get any compensation for it.

So as much as I don’t love this mess right now, the previous system was immoral and just flat out wrong.
  • mweb08 and Mackus like this

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:23 AM

Hard to disagree. Although I’m all in on Maryland basketball so I’ll be as hardcore as they come if that happens.

That said, I think a lot of people probably feel like you do about all this, but maybe we weren’t supposed to have this in the first place? It’s just dead wrong to watch these unpaid amateurs entertain us all these years and them not get any compensation for it.

So as much as I don’t love this mess right now, the previous system was immoral and just flat out wrong.

Yeah, hopefully they figure something out that limits the transfers. Thats really the biggest problem I have with all of this.

#16 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:27 AM

The problem is rule breakers, they mess things up for those wanting to follow the rules.

They stopped players from working, as there was so many "fake" jobs creating so alumni could pay money for doing nothing.

It hurt the ones, needing to work, just so they could eat while they attend college.

Thompson Sr said, its something, when a highly paid division 1 coach with a strong 6+ salary is driving a nice car, yet most of his players have nicer rides and they arent from money. 

How do you fix that?

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, hopefully they figure something out that limits the transfers. Thats really the biggest problem I have with all of this.

If the NCAA started guaranteeing scholarships rather than make them things that a coach can yank away any time they want, then I could see agreeing with limits on transfers.  Also would want to see limits on when coaches can leave (or allowing transfers without question or limit once a coach does leave).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=