#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:58 AM

I am curious as to who the bigger names really were. I do not think Miller or Pitino were ever seriously considered. The stink on both, probably lead the decision makers far away.

They definitely went after Pearl, and I guess Enfield could be considered a “bigger name” that they struck out on. But yeah, guys like Oats and Musselman were never realistic possibilities due to their massive buyouts and lucrative SEC NIL situations.
@BSLZackKiesel

#22 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:01 AM

In one of the YouTube interviews with Willard he talked about the type of players he was able to recruit at Seton Hall.  He acknowledged they were never going to be in the mix for a top national guy unless that guy happened to be from Jersey.  I think that changes with Maryland.  Regardless of the talent level, Coach Willard recruits hard-working, smart kids and he develops them.  I think that is exciting and he will be able to compete in the Big10. 

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:21 AM

Statement from Willard:

"Growing up and coaching in the region, I have always admired Maryland basketball. Being named head coach of one of the nation's premier basketball programs is a tremendous honor," Willard said in a statement. "Thank you to President Pines and Damon Evans for trusting me to energize this proud program as we look to galvanize our passionate fanbase with a gritty, hard-working style of basketball. Having coached against Maryland several times and at Xfinity Center, I know how Terp fans feel about this team. I embrace the high expectations. Skill development and a dedication to academic success will be cornerstones of our program and I can promise Terp Nation we will work to make them proud of this basketball team as we build winners on the court and in the classroom. Julie and our boys are excited to join the Terrapin family."

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:22 AM

Reports of Kevin Willard's new deal were incorrect. Per good source, it’s a 7-year contract starting at $3.9M in 2022-23 with a $100,000 escalator each season. Worth $29.4 total.

That’s pricy by MD standards. I hope they saved some money for him to hire a good staff.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:27 AM

That’s pricy by MD standards. I hope they saved some money for him to hire a good staff.

I would hope he negotiated a number for his staff.

@mikeghg

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:27 AM

I'm sure I would have landed on someone else, but he's got his attributes.... and he's excited.  He's leaving something he had built and was comfortable with... for a new challenge (and yes $).  

It's a new day, and I'm excited about that. 

It was tiring thinking about Turgeon any further, and this is a new opportunity for the program. 

• SouthRider likes this

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:51 AM

I'm sure I would have landed on someone else, but he's got his attributes.... and he's excited. He's leaving something he had built and was comfortable with... for a new challenge (and yes $).

It's a new day, and I'm excited about that.

It was tiring thinking about Turgeon any further, and this is a new opportunity for the program.

I think it’s been agonizing having to ponder the new coaching hire for several months as we’ve been doing. It’s nice to have our guy and finally move forward. All that time analyzing who the right guy would be is in part what led many to over analyze Willard and also develop some unhealthy desires for guys who were probably never available in the first place, which only set people up for disappointment (IE: looking back on it, Enfield or someone like Pearl were never happening).

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:59 AM

I think it’s been agonizing having to ponder the new coaching hire for several months as we’ve been doing. It’s nice to have our guy and finally move forward. All that time analyzing who the right guy would be is in part what led many to over analyze Willard and also develop some unhealthy desires for guys who were probably never available in the first place, which only set people up for disappointment (IE: looking back on it, Enfield or someone like Pearl were never happening).

After watching Auburn and Pearl's craziness on the sideline yesterday, I am kind of glad that he was never going to happen.

• sandiegosean likes this
@mikeghg

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:21 PM

That is a lot of dough for a coach who has never made it out of the first weekend.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#30 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:31 PM

Should be able to land better recruits at Maryland, excited to read that he does a good job developing players.

I feel like the guys Turgeon brought in never really got better as time went on.
  • Mike B likes this

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:18 PM

I guess Ive come to peace with it. If he starts to do exciting things here Ill invest. Thats really no different than anyone else. The name is only going to be exciting for so long.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:34 PM

I guess Ive come to peace with it. If he starts to do exciting things here Ill invest. Thats really no different than anyone else. The name is only going to be exciting for so long.

Pretty much where I am. Just wait and see. For every guy who has a ceiling no matter what resources are at his disposal (like Turgeon, or Edsall in football), there is probably the same number who can harness that to do better than they did before. Hopefully Willard falls into the latter category.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#33 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:40 PM

Gary approves but to be fair, if he hated it I think he'd still say something nice in public lol

https://twitter.com/...912625728786433

Had to unfollow Gary when he liked a really bad Tucker Carlson rant. Never meet your heroes
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

@fuzydunlop

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:55 PM

Had to unfollow Gary when he liked a really bad Tucker Carlson rant. Never meet your heroes

I've met you and I'm fine.

• Mashed Potatoes and McNulty like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:35 PM

A lot of people surrounding the Seton Hall program with some *glowing* things to say about Willard’s 12 years there: https://247sports.co...ture-184950821/
@BSLZackKiesel

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:54 PM

The tourney record is certainly concerning.  Not just losing, but multiple games where they got beat handily.  It's only 6 games so how much you can glean is debatable, and most of the games were tossups so its not like he lost as a heavy favorite.

2016 lost as a #6 seed by 16

2017 lost as a #9 seed by 6

2018 won as a #8 seed by 11 then lost to #1 Kansas by 4

2019 lost as a #10 seed by 16

2020 no tournament

2021 did not make tourney

2022 lost as an #8 seed by 27

However his conference tourney record is pretty good.  4-5 in his first 5 seasons when the team was pretty bad and then 8-5 in his final 7 seasons (no tourney in '20).

I didn't go and look at his Feb/March record.  That was perhaps my biggest Turgeon gripe, that the teams always stagnated as everyone else got better, leading to bad records down the stretch.

• You Play to Win the Game and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:18 PM

I didn't go and look at his Feb/March record.  That was perhaps my biggest Turgeon gripe, that the teams always stagnated as everyone else got better, leading to bad records down the stretch.

If you break it into "first 5 years" when his teams were bad and "last 7 years" when they got good, this is fairly promising.  Dreadful when his teams were bad, which makes sense, since its all conference play.  If I counted correctly, in Feb/March regular season he went12-32 from '11-15.  But from '16-22, he was 40-25.

• You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:33 AM

Willard’s introductory press conference will take place tomorrow on the XFINITY Center court at 6:00 PM and will be open to the media and general public.

Today’s press conference will also be broadcast live on BTN.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:50 AM

Today’s press conference will also be broadcast live on BTN.

105.7 will also be covering it.

@mikeghg

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:11 PM

I have read that he was involved in the search.  I think he would have remained quiet if he did not like the pick.  

I actually feel better about the choice than I thought I would.

I stand corrected... 

https://247sports.co...37/#184991937_1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=