http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=4898

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

They absolutely had to take a shot at the endzone with :09 left and 1 timeout. If they didn't make it, then it's a lot easier to live with the missed FG. Devastating loss for a young team.

#3 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

They had a legit shot at 5-2 and 3-0 in the ACC. They were the better team today, but the scoreboard will not show it. Devastating loss for this team but they now know they can play with these teams. They are not a pushover anymore.
@Langley486

#4 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

A great comeback comes down to a botched field goal. Too bad for Maryland, they played well in the second half and should be basking in the glow of a hard fought, gutsy win.
@Tpjs1

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

How about Caleb Rowe on that drive? I'd assume they burnt his RS knowing that the Hills injury is serious.

Do we see some sort of combo of Rowe and Burns going forward?

@AdamWolff

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

This is the kind of loss that can carry over. I really hope they are able to put this behind them, because next week @ BC is a must-win if they are to become bowl-eligible.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hills will need an MRI to determine the extent of his injury. But from Edsall's tone in the postgame presser, he's done for the season. If I'm Burns & Rowe, I'm not sure I want to be the starting QB for Maryland, because that position is clearly cursed.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Brutal loss. It really came down to the kicker.

Burns definitely made it easier to run the ball, and Rowe came off the bench and damn near pulled off a miracle in his first few plays.

The problem with Burns at QB is he really can not get the ball to Diggs downfield.

I was thinking as Craddock lined up that this was probably Maryland's chance to get to 6 wins and a Bowl.
Other than BC, not sure where the wins are coming from.
@mikeghg

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Some thoughts-
1) Right move burning the redshirt on Burns. And really it almost worked. And good chance they would've had to burn it at some point later this year anyways. The fact they were were 2-0 in the ACC, 4-2 overall, it was worth the risk; if they were 1-5, 0-2 in the ACC I would've said otherwise.

2)Likely the right move punting on 4-and-1. I know there was a lot of second guessing after the game on this, but if they missed converting this, they are in an even worse position IMO, if NC St scores a TD. Sure if they would've converted, it would've been great, but the risk didn't outweigh the reward IMO.

3)This goes without saying really, but can't they get a better kicker? This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, missing that extra point partially led to having to rely on him in the first place. It's a different game, if they have a three point lead as opposed to a one-point lead.

4)I've now noticed this the last two games, sitting in two different sections in decent weather both times, what is with lots of fans leaving close games early? I get when the game is "over" or even when it's bad weather, but this is just embarrassing in terms of the fans.
@levineps

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

They absolutely had to take a shot at the endzone with :09 left and 1 timeout. If they didn't make it, then it's a lot easier to live with the missed FG. Devastating loss for a young team.

Yeah sure, but would you have said the same thing if they turned the ball over? Even with as bad as the kicker was, I think it was the right decision centering the ball to get the FG, he did make one farther earlier in the game.
@levineps

#11 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Some thoughts-
1) Right move burning the redshirt on Burns. And really it almost worked. And good chance they would've had to burn it at some point later this year anyways. The fact they were were 2-0 in the ACC, 4-2 overall, it was worth the risk; if they were 1-5, 0-2 in the ACC I would've said otherwise.

2)Likely the right move punting on 4-and-1. I know there was a lot of second guessing after the game on this, but if they missed converting this, they are in an even worse position IMO, if NC St scores a TD. Sure if they would've converted, it would've been great, but the risk didn't outweigh the reward IMO.

3)This goes without saying really, but can't they get a better kicker? This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, missing that extra point partially led to having to rely on him in the first place. It's a different game, if they have a three point lead as opposed to a one-point lead.

4)I've now noticed this the last two games, sitting in two different sections in decent weather both times, what is with lots of fans leaving close games early? I get when the game is "over" or even when it's bad weather, but this is just embarrassing in terms of the fans.

I think you meant burning the redshirt on Caleb Rowe ;)
  • Oriole85 likes this
@Langley486

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I was thinking as Craddock lined up that this was probably Maryland's chance to get to 6 wins and a Bowl.
Other than BC, not sure where the wins are coming from.

Georgia Tech? I get that these losses, get people thinking the worst, but I think they got a great shot at 4-3 to win two more games in the remaining five games in the ACC.
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think you meant burning the redshirt on Caleb Rowe ;)

I did, thanks for correcting me!
@levineps

#14 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

I did, thanks for correcting me!

No problem! Easy mistake though because we really hadn't seen wither one of them very much. I have to say I really liked what I say from Rowe. I thought Hills did a solid job, but I was so impressed with Rowe, he may be able to keep the offense going.
@Langley486

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

No problem! Easy mistake though because we really hadn't seen wither one of them very much. I have to say I really liked what I say from Rowe. I thought Hills did a solid job, but I was so impressed with Rowe, he may be able to keep the offense going.

Really not sure, who I want from here on out. Not enough of a sample size from either, particularly Rowe.

I remember when CJ Brown went down preseason and everyone(me included) thought they would never even get this many victories and squeaking it out again William and Mary and Temple's near second half comeback did little to reinforce it. Despite Craddock's struggles, I thought we were going to win yesterday and up until it hit the upright, really thought that was going through. One of the toughest defeats of a sporting event I attended.
@levineps

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yeah sure, but would you have said the same thing if they turned the ball over? Even with as bad as the kicker was, I think it was the right decision centering the ball to get the FG, he did make one farther earlier in the game.

They had better odds of scoring a TD than that kicker making a FG, IMO. Honestly, who didn't know he was going to miss that kick? What a basket-case.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

They had better odds of scoring a TD than that kicker making a FG, IMO. Honestly, who didn't know he was going to miss that kick? What a basket-case.

I disagree with that, considering you only had one shot at the endzone(they were never going to go for it again). It's not like John Elway was behind center. He barely missed the fg, which makes this more painful. I love all the MMQBing though.
@levineps

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

I disagree with that, considering you only had one shot at the endzone(they were never going to go for it again). It's not like John Elway was behind center. He barely missed the fg, which makes this more painful. I love all the MMQBing though.

Read the game thread....I said the exact same thing the moment they ran that pay to put the ball in the middle of the field. There was no way in hell he was making that kick. No way.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Read the game thread....I said the exact same thing the moment they ran that pay to put the ball in the middle of the field. There was no way in hell he was making that kick. No way.

Well he barely missed, but keep patting yourself on the back! ;)
@levineps

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well he barely missed, but keep patting yourself on the back! ;)

So what? Barely missing still means no points and a loss. It was short distance from straight on. Just a terrible kick by a terrible kicker. Hitting the upright doesn't mean anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=