5723 replies to this topic

#5121 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:42 AM

Well, Lamar has a tag year to bet on himself.

But I don't really see this ending well. He's either going to play okay, in which case he won't be happy and will force a trade by threatening to hold out next year, or he'll play like an MVP and price himself out of Baltimore.

Part of me also thinks that Lamar entered this offseason thinking he'd have the exclusive tag placed on him, and when the team told him they were putting the non-exclusive tag he was thrown for a bit of a loop and now he's seeing what he can do to salvage the situation, since he has unexpected limited bargaining windows and also about 12 million less than he expected. That would explain a lot of the weird behavior (unhappiness) and questionable contract moves.

I think your last point is a good one. It took a lot of us by surprise too. He probably figured he could just sit back and let them pitch contracts to him, or let them trade him if it came to that. I don't think he expected to have to negotiate with other teams.

#5122 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:51 AM

But I don't really see this ending well. He's either going to play okay, in which case he won't be happy and will force a trade by threatening to hold out next year, or he'll play like an MVP and price himself out of Baltimore.

Part of me also thinks that Lamar entered this offseason thinking he'd have the exclusive tag placed on him, and when the team told him they were putting the non-exclusive tag he was thrown for a bit of a loop and now he's seeing what he can do to salvage the situation, since he has unexpected limited bargaining windows and also about 12 million less than he expected. That would explain a lot of the weird behavior (unhappiness) and questionable contract moves.

I think he bet on himself last year and lost.  It was certainly not all his fault, but he owns at least part of the problem.

@mikeghg

#5123 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

I think the damage is being done to the Ravens as we enter day 1 million of the Lamar saga.  I still hope for a trade, I think the best way for this to end is separation, even if it means we take less than market value.

I want no part of Lamar playing on the cap, and his holding out which seems inevitable will do further damage.

A hold out would be very bad. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:54 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is negotiating without an agent. Other NFL players have had success — but at a cost.

#5125 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:57 AM

I just got a text from WNST....apparently, Lamar has stated that he officially requested to be traded on March 2.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:58 AM

I just got a text from WNST....apparently, Lamar has stated that he officially requested to be traded on March 2.

Lamar Jackson has requested a trade

#5127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:59 AM

Please accommodate him and find a trade partner. 

#5128 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:00 AM

A letter to my Fans I want to first thank you all for all of the love and support you consistently show towards me. All of you are amazing and I appreciate y’all so much. I want you all to know not to believe everything you read about me. Let me personally answer your questions in regards to my future plans. As of March 2nd I requested a trade from the Ravens organization for which the Ravens has not been interested in meeting my value, any and everyone that’s has met me or been around me know I love the game of football and my dream is to help a team win the super bowl. You all are great but I had to make a business decision that was best for my family and I. No matter how far I go or where my career takes me, I’ll continue to be close to my fans of Baltimore Flock nation and the entire State of Maryland. You’ll See me again

#5129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:01 AM

Lamar Jackson’s announcement came at the exact time that Ravens’ coach John Harbaugh was set to speak to reporters at the league’s annual meeting.

#5130 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:11 AM

He has the weakest hand at the table. He can request a trade all he wants but he has no power at this time.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5131 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:12 AM

Unreal.

#5132 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:12 AM

I think you're absolutely correct about the non exclusive tag. Lamar and none of us saw that coming. There's a reason EDC has his job. That was a genius move on his part.

#5133 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:13 AM

Don’t see how any Ravens fan could still want him here.

#5134 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:16 AM

I think the damage is being done to the Ravens as we enter day 1 million of the Lamar saga. I still hope for a trade, I think the best way for this to end is separation, even if it means we take less than market value.
I want no part of Lamar playing on the cap, and his holding out which seems inevitable will do further damage.

There's no trade happening. A trade entails another team giving him the contract he wants. He likely has no contract offers now because no one wants to pay it.

#5135 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:18 AM

If this request was made 3/2 - it doesn’t look like the Ravens are going to honor the request.

#5136 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:20 AM

My response to Lamar includes a lot of emojis.

#5137 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:20 AM

He has the weakest hand at the table. He can request a trade all he wants but he has no power at this time.

Yep. No one is trading for him when they can just offer him a contract now. As sure as I was that the Ravens would match any offer, after this statement they might not.

#5138 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:21 AM

Trade or not, Lamar Jackson will never play for the Ravens again. There's no way he'll play under the tag.

So we're back to the question of what Lamar believes his value to be vs. what the league believes his value to be. So unless another organization is willing to meet his demands and send draft compensation our way, it looks like Lamar is going to be a travelling salesman for Entire Gym LLC.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5139 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:22 AM

Looking like he's going to sit out this season if no other team makes him an offer. Highly doubt the Ravens would match an offer if he doesn't want to be here. So this is probably why they made the tag non-exclusive.

I remember being called "insane" when I said Lamar had played his last game last December. Looks like that has turned out to be not only sane, but true.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5140 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:23 AM

If this request was made 3/2 - it doesn’t look like the Ravens are going to honor the request.

Chances are that they've been trying. Just haven't received compensation they felt was good enough. No one knew Brown had requested a trade until after it happened on draft night. Ravens are pretty good about not torpedoing their trade values by making it known someone wants out.

The fact that it hasn't happened isn't good. For either party. Takes two to tango.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=