TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:23 PM

The entire league is built on parity.

This isn't college.

The difference between the best and worst teams isn't 'that' much on a given Sunday... and the difference between the best and midtier teams is basically nothing.

On a given day... individual matchups, turnovers, health.

The Ravens are one of the better teams in the league because Jackson is their QB... the Coaching staff overall is above average... and the Special Teams are excellent.

The defense... ehh... It doesn't have to be what it's been the last 20 years, but does have to get closer to average.
They've got enough should be quality players, that getting to average defense should be realistic. If it's not... yeah, that's a problem.

The running game? Dobbins and Edwards aren't coming back this year.
Stanley isn't coming back this year.

The backs and line you have are what they are. Below average to adequate.

The Ravens still have an above average ground game due to Jackson and scheme.

Bateman looks ready to produce in the passing game. And that's what it's about the rest of the way.
The Ravens passing game, and not beating themselves.

Avoid turnovers.

Keep on schedule on offense.

Convert on 3rd down.

Defensively make 3rd down stops, and plays in the RZ.
Hold to FG's vs. TDs.

The Ravens are one of maybe 8-10 teams that can win the Super Bowl this year... and yeah, they've got enough non-correctable issues that can be exploited any Sunday.

All true but its concerning we dont have an identity outside of "save us Lamar".

#522 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

So Marlon Humphrey had a day. Sheesh.

#523 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:29 PM

So Marlon Humphrey had a day. Sheesh.

Once Burrow realized that was the corner to attack, the game changed. Averett was shutting almost everything down, Humphrey got schooled by a rookie.

#524 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

Chase is a beast but yeah Marlo is not having a good year.

#525 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:35 PM

Chase is a beast but yeah Marlo is not having a good year.

Is that true? Bad day for sure, but not a lot of teams have targeted him, in part why he didn't have any turnovers coming into today. Ironic, he gets torched for his worst career game by far, IMO, but gets his first INT on the season. And technically his first forced fumble too, although it wasn't recovered.

He looked indecisive and untested more than he looked incapable today. Chase had him guessing and he didn't know what he was going to do.

#526 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:41 PM

It wasnt just Chase today. Ive always thought he was overrated as a cover guy. I think you have too or maybe you changed your mind.

#527 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:42 PM

It wasnt just Chase today. Ive always thought he was overrated as a cover guy. I think you have too or maybe you changed your mind.

I did. Early on he got burnt a few times in key moments, but I feel the past couple years he's really become a complete shut down corner. Maybe I'm wrong.

#528 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:12 PM

I think Humphrey is a great overall player. But I don't disagree that he's a bit overrated as a cover guy. He's very inconsistent from game to game.

I also think Chase is very much the concensus best WR prospect everyone thought he was before he took the year off. He hasn't just been the best rookie WR. He's been one of the best WR's in the NFL, period.

I'm not sure how the Ravens get better after the bye honestly. You could start by cutting Bell. Dude is done. F it, Call Peterson's agent. May as well try and grab all of the way past their prime RB's.

#529 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

Once Burrow realized that was the corner to attack, the game changed. Averett was shutting almost everything down, Humphrey got schooled by a rookie.

And that where adjustment comes in. Averett was clearly having a better game than Humphries. Might have been a good idea to switch them once it was clear Humphries wasn't having his best game. Not saying it changes the outcome, but doing the same thing... well you know the rest.

• cprenegade likes this

#530 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:20 PM

I knew after the Colts game, Roman was going to have sugar plum fairies dancing in his head about a prolific passing attack and shelve the "run first" mentality. 

This is the oddest complaint.  Roman has made an entire career out of being a run-dominant offensive coordinator.  And you think he's obsessed with passing?

• BSLChrisStoner and 1970 like this

#531 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:23 PM

Shut down corners don't exist any more.  But I'll take however many bad games Humphrey may have.  The overall package is absolutely as good as it gets in the league right now.  Fair to criticize when he makes a bad play or has a bad game, but keep that criticism in context of how infrequently it's merited.

#532 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:26 PM

The comeback play early in the game when Chase ended up wide open was really impressive, moreso to me than the other big plays he made later.  Watching it, with the camera not panning over until the ball was in flight, it seemed like a play where there must have been an obvious pushoff to gain that much separation.  Or a huge cushion.  But no, Jimmy was in his pocket as he got into the route and then he just disappeared.  Smith isn't what he used to be, but he's still a good corner, and I don't think he misread it or anything, it was just a lightning quick break.  Like Antonio Brown in his prime.  Big outside guys with those quicks are rare.

I was very impressed with Chase today.  His bigger yardage plays felt the most mundane.

I don't think Cincinnati has the infrastructure to be a long term threat, but Burrow and Chase seem very legit.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#533 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

Murray is the best RB of the bunch. He at least tries to get north south quickly and runs with some power. We unfornuately dont really have anyone to stretch sideline to sideline. May need to utilize DD more on those motuin sweep type plays

#534 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

The comeback play early in the game when Chase ended up wide open was really impressive, moreso to me than the other big plays he made later. Watching it, with the camera not panning over until the ball was in flight, it seemed like a play where there must have been an obvious pushoff to gain that much separation. Or a huge cushion. But no, Jimmy was in his pocket as he got into the route and then he just disappeared. Smith isn't what he used to be, but he's still a good corner, and I don't think he misread it or anything, it was just a lightning quick break. Like Antonio Brown in his prime. Big outside guys with those quicks are rare.

I was very impressed with Chase today. His bigger yardage plays felt the most mundane.

I don't think Cincinnati has the infrastructure to be a long term threat, but Burrow and Chase seem very legit.

Depends on how good Burrow is. Peyton didnt need much infrastructure. I know some think Dungy was really good. I dont

#535 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:46 PM

If they dont call that BS hold on AV on that Lamar run maybe we pull the rabbit out of the hat again. Cincy earned it though. We will see them again. Itll be a different game

#536 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

Depends on how good Burrow is. Peyton didnt need much infrastructure. I know some think Dungy was really good. I dont

Peyton is a lofty comparison. Burrow looks good but not sure he's nearly that good.

#537 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:06 PM

This is the oddest complaint.  Roman has made an entire career out of being a run-dominant offensive coordinator.  And you think he's obsessed with passing?

He's been hell bent on making Lamar a pocket quarterback now for the past two years.  When he lit up the Colts, I knew he was going to go down that rabbit hole for sure.  Granted, without Gus and Dobbins in there, it does change the dynamics but I think it's troubling how few carries the running backs are getting.  There's no way you can develop run blocking rhythm calling a game like that.  How many carries did the running backs get today?  12?  Not going to cut it. 

#538 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:08 PM

If they dont call that BS hold on AV on that Lamar run maybe we pull the rabbit out of the hat again. Cincy earned it though. We will see them again. Itll be a different game

The turning point for me was when McPhee had that senseless roughing the passer penalty and then on the next play, the Bengals scored.  

#539 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

The turning point for me was when McPhee had that senseless roughing the passer penalty and then on the next play, the Bengals scored.

Or, you might choose passing on a long Tucker FG try immediately followed by a Bengals TD in the 2d quarter.

Full disclosure: I supported the punt at the time assuming Harbs knew Tucker's comfort range and based on how the defense was playing at that point.

#540 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

Peyton is a lofty comparison. Burrow looks good but not sure he's nearly that good.

Burrow more than looks the part of a consistently good QB. Have to hope Mike Brown Fs it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=