#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

It is a sad night in my house--OK, at least in my room. My Kindle died on me. It was three-and-a-half years old.

When the first rumors came out about an electronic reading device from Amazon, I couldn't wait to get one. You can carry dozens of books all at once! You can download books from anywhere, at any time, for free (along with the price of the book itself)! You can adjust the screen to the way you want the text! Even the $350 price tag didn't dissuade me (mostly because I knew I would be asking for it as a gift).

I asked for it for Christmas, 2008. When that day arrived, there was a box waiting for me under the tree...an empty box. Or so it appeared, there being two pieces of paper sitting inside. The first was a printed email receipt for the Kindle, on backorder. The second was a notice from Amazon that all unfilled orders would be filled as newly-manufactured Kindle 2s.

The further wait felt like it took forever. In fact, it was just over two months before the box arrived. When I turned it on, though, it was as though I opened a new best friend. I mean, I don't have any friends, so that's just an assumption on my part. Anyway, from that day forward I used the device on a daily basis. First were the books--paid and free--I could download from Amazon. For a long time I paid for a daily subscription to The Sun delivered electronically (and even read it occasionally). Later came e-books borrowed from the library. Even after I received a Kindle Fire last Christmas, I still did most of my reading on the original version.

Now, it's gone. Suddenly, and without explanation, the screen went haywire. Now, it almost appears as though in a coma: everything inside still works, but there is no consciousness, no way to communicate.

Unlike those in a coma, though, everything is backed up, and I have another able Kindle ready to step in. Next tablet up, I guess. Plus, there is a newer, more-advanced Kindle coming out: the Paperwhite. So while I mourn my loss, I also look forward to a new day, one with faster response times and a "front-lit" screen.

I'm off to update my Christmas list.

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

The good news is the Paperwhite is cheap and looks awesome.

#3 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

RIP, DJ MC's first Kindle.

I'd be lost without my Kindle. I'm glad to hear you have a backup Kindle. It's the smart move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=