#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...-entering-camp/

Going to be a fluid situation throughout the next six weeks. Injuries, surprises, trades, anything can happen. But a look at where the Ravens roster stands with camp opening up on Wednesday. 

• BSLChrisStoner, PrimeTime, russsnyder and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...-entering-camp/

Going to be a fluid situation throughout the next six weeks. Injuries, surprises, trades, anything can happen. But a look at where the Ravens roster stands with camp opening up on Wednesday.

I think Mekari ends up making the team due to his versatility. He can step in and play either guard, center and RT. And, while not that good, he'also not terrible at any of them. He gives them a great piece that can spot start and fill in from time to time when needed at 4 of the 5 positions.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:17 PM

I think Mekari ends up making the team due to his versatility. He can step in and play either guard, center and RT. And, while not that good, he'also not terrible at any of them. He gives them a great piece that can spot start and fill in from time to time when needed at 4 of the 5 positions.

That’s fair.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:51 PM

I agree. I could quibble with some things here and there (big one is I think there's no chance Phillips is on the bubble) and there are always injuries and perhaps a trade or two so it's impossible to predict 100% anyway, but overall it's a good list.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:44 PM

I agree. I could quibble with some things here and there (big one is I think there's no chance Phillips is on the bubble) and there are always injuries and perhaps a trade or two so it's impossible to predict 100% anyway, but overall it's a good list.

TBF, I only had 47 locks. So Six bubble guys are going to make it, even in the rare case where no one is injured. I truly think it’s between Philips and Smith for the last tackle spot. The fact that he can play tackle and guard gives Phillips a leg up. But they have so many guards making this team. I think if Smith is significantly better than Phillips, they could afford to cut ties despite the versatility. When Ju’wann James enters the fold in 2022, both guys are probably done.
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:47 PM

TBF, I only had 47 locks. So Six bubble guys are going to make it, even in the rare case where no one is injured. I truly think it’s between Philips and Smith for the last tackle spot. The fact that he can play tackle and guard gives Phillips a leg up. But they have so many guards making this team. I think if Smith is significantly better than Phillips, they could afford to cut ties despite the versatility. When Ju’wann James enters the fold in 2022, both guys are probably done.

I will be very surprised if Phillips gets cut.  The Ravens very rarely cut 3rd picks after a year, especially one who had his moments last year.  I think Andre Smith gets cut.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

I will be very surprised if Phillips gets cut. The Ravens very rarely cut 3rd picks after a year, especially one who had his moments last year. I think Andre Smith gets cut.

Very possible. Only moment I remember was him truck sticking a guy in the Jacksonville game on a fumble recovery. Nothing else stuck out to me. They signed three FAs on his side of the line for a reason. He could beat out Smith, but he’d be a healthy scratch some game days I think.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:33 PM

I don't think Schoefield is a lock at all. I think he TCC and Mekari could be fighting for one spot if no one gets hurt. I also won't be surprised to see someone get hurt. 

Have their said what the IR rules are going to be for 2021? Are they the same last year? Because if so, you're going to see the Ravens keep all the fringy guys with a bunch of these bubble guys landing on the 3-week IR. 

#9 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:07 AM

I don't think Schoefield is a lock at all. I think he TCC and Mekari could be fighting for one spot if no one gets hurt. I also won't be surprised to see someone get hurt. 

Have their said what the IR rules are going to be for 2021? Are they the same last year? Because if so, you're going to see the Ravens keep all the fringy guys with a bunch of these bubble guys landing on the 3-week IR. 

I believe they did. The PS stayed at 16 and IR is 3 weeks

• Mike in STL likes this

#10 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:53 AM

Glad you did this list Mike and started a discussion. Since Phillips is being discussed, I believe there's a better chance of him starting week one at LG than him being cut. So much athletic talent, jumps off the film. Unfortunately so do the mental mistakes which cost us drives.

• JordanKough likes this

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

Glad you did this list Mike and started a discussion. Since Phillips is being discussed, I believe there's a better chance of him starting week one at LG than him being cut. So much athletic talent, jumps off the film. Unfortunately so do the mental mistakes which cost us drives.

Thanks.

I’ll be really upset though if a healthy Ben Cleveland isn’t the week one starter at LG. I wasn’t high on Phillips out of college, so some of that bias still is there with me. Fine with him making the team, but if he is starting then he really turned some heads, or there have been injuries that made the O-line weaker.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

I think he is as a backup, guy has 69 starts in 87 games. Solid pass blocker primarily as a right guard. Carolina was kind of a hot mess last year. They played him at RG, LG, LT, where he wasn’t great. Either he doesn’t have the versatility and Carolina was trying put a square peg in a round hole, or he peaked and is on his chance. If the latter, then yeah, not a lock and we’ll see that play out. Be interested to see where the Ravens use him.
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:20 AM

I believe they did. The PS stayed at 16 and IR is 3 weeks

Yep. 16 PS. 6 can have more than two seasons experience. 4 can be protected from being signed by another team. 3 IR weeks, no limit on how many players can return from IR.

https://www.espn.com...ster-rules-2021
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:44 AM

Thanks.

I’ll be really upset though if a healthy Ben Cleveland isn’t the week one starter at LG. I wasn’t high on Phillips out of college, so some of that bias still is there with me. Fine with him making the team, but if he is starting then he really turned some heads, or there have been injuries that made the O-line weaker.

The coaches loved him enough last year to rush him in front of Powers and Fluker. That's part of my thinking as well. Harbs kept wanting to play him all the way through til the bitter end too. I'd like to see him concentrate on RT personally. But I think they may want a puller at LG, not Powers' strength. My guess is Cleveland or Philips. Can't wait and so glad we have Zeitler to subtract from the guessing game.

• makoman likes this

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

The coaches loved him enough last year to rush him in front of Powers and Fluker. That's part of my thinking as well. Harbs kept wanting to play him all the way through til the bitter end too. I'd like to see him concentrate on RT personally. But I think they may want a puller at LG, not Powers' strength. My guess is Cleveland or Philips. Can't wait and so glad we have Zeitler to subtract from the guessing game.

That's my thinking, regardless what any of us think the team obviously loves Phillips. Powers is the one on the bubble IMO, if he doesn't start he provides no positional versatility as a backup.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

I think the mental mistakes for Phillips, and all the rookies are somewhat explainable.  I think the talented ones, like Phillips, will step up this year with a more natural off season, and training camp.

@mikeghg

#17 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

Yep. 16 PS. 6 can have more than two seasons experience. 4 can be protected from being signed by another team. 3 IR weeks, no limit on how many players can return from IR.

Hard for me to imagine anyone getting cut that's on the bubble given this. There will be nicks and bruises from TC that will result in IR.

I'd expect Stone, Warrior, Washington, Mason all to have shots at the roster because of this. I also think this might make the Week 1 roster be a little odd.

That being said, with KC looming on Week 2 and a short week, you'd have to think anyone that could be useful will be active in Week 1 so they are available. 

#18 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:44 AM

I think Andre Smith has a good chance to break camp with the team, simply because we're short at tackle.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#19 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:12 AM

The league needs to keep these rules with a 17 game season and talk of 18. 

#20 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:14 AM

Also a full training camp is going to mean more injuries are going to happen. Even with them being short-term, too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=