Gold Cup 2021
Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:50 PM
Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:44 PM
“We have a shot at a wild card right now. But it is not a probability that we're going to win a wild card.” -2022 Trade Deadline
"It's liftoff from here" - after selling on 2022
"We're on a slight upward arc" - Winter Meetings 2022
"I think it's really hard to sit there and chart a course and say, 'We're likely to win the division.'" - Winter Meetings 2022
Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:14 AM
- BSLSteveBirrer likes this
Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:42 AM
As a completely fair weather soccer fan that will pretty much only watch "big" games, maybe... disappointing that there's no Christian Pulisic on the field for a game like this.
Raven you should go back and read my pretournament article. Covers in depth why Pulisic and others weren't there. They did just win the Nations League final in June in case you missed that.
Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:30 AM
Well my thoughts from last night's match.
1. For all the naysayers that wanted the US to hire Tata Martino as our head coach instead of Gregg Berhalter: Bite me. Martino was out coached last night. So good to see.
2. The problem is that I think too many fans get too stuck on a coach and their ability to deal with the tactics and Xs and Os. Martino is surely better than Berhalter at that. But it overlooks a major part of the equation in a fluid sport like soccer. And this is where Berhalter excels. He gets the players to believe 100% in what he wants them to do and the effort he wants them to put out. Those guys left everything on the field last night. They love playing for him and representing the US.
3. I am comfortable with every single player that played last night being on the field during the upcoming qualifiers. All of them. Yes some were better than others and there were mistakes made but good grief those guys efforts were off the charts.
4. I am just a bit wondering who really is our #1 keeper. The shot stopping of Matt Turner is just superb, probably the best of the three. But I have two reservations on him. I would like to see him be more aggressive in the 6 yard box. There were times in the tournament when I thought he should have stepped out and went after some balls that he left to his backs. Now that may be the way Berhalter wants them to play? Secondly, I cringe when he gets the ball at his feet. He just isn't very good. His passes are weak and he often misses totally. If they are going to continue to build out of the back then he needs some serious work in that area.
5. Kellyn Acosta was my MOTM last night. Dude was in Mexico's face all night. Just a great night for him.
6. What is there to say about Miles Robinson and James Sands. Those guys really came together this tournament. And they continually covered for each other which is critical for your center back pairing. Then the header. Oh Miles you are the man!!!
7. Paul Arriola was really solid at both ends last night. BUT he also was his usual self. Dude put the ball in the back of the net.
8. If anybody has any issues about Matt Hoppe being able to go 90 minutes then they didn't see last night.
9. Gyasi Zardes did what he is expected to do. Press high and create problems for the opposing defense. He did that. Just didn't find the goal.
10.The midfield of Lleget, Williamson, and Acosta then Busio was solid. Didn't create much but defensively did great. And Gianluca please keep shooting! One of those rockets is going to go in.
11. The outside backs of Cannon and Bello held their own. As did the replacement set of Vines and Moore. The depth were are developing is so good to see.
Bottom line is the naysayers will say that Mexico still outshot us 22-14. Dont pay attention to that. Shots on goal were 5-5. And the US had a 3-2 advantage in big chances.
So in the span of 2 months the USMNT has won 2 trophies. Now think about this. That is more than either Klinsmann or Arena got in their careers coaching the US!
- You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe, Chris B and 1 other like this
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users