Photo

BSL: Orlando Brown Jr. decision looms with 2021 NFL Draft less than a month away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLJasonBHirschhorn

BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

Orlando Brown Jr. decision looms with 2021 NFL Draft less than a month away:

https://baltimorespo...n-a-month-away/

• BSLChrisStoner and PrimeTime like this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is the co-founder of The Leap and an award-winning sportswriter with bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports Illustrated, and other major outlets. He is also a Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

I have two opinions on that.

1. Drafting a replacement, even in a draft which looks so promising is no guarantee.  And even if that replacement is good, it's not a sure thing that he will be good immediately and the Ravens should be in a win now mode.  Once Jackson gets paid, pieces of this team are going to start to chip away.  Of course, if they keep Brown this year, he is most likely a piece that will leave in the future.  

2. Brown says it's not about the money, but I have read and heard some things that say he wants to be paid Trent Williams money.  If it really is about being a LT, and not about the money, he may have to agree to a lesser contract to force this trade.  Most teams aren't going to want to part with a #1 and possibly more unless they can lock him up for the future and they may not be willing to pay that money.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

I still think keeping him and then tag & trade next off-season is the best move. You won't get as much, but still will do much better than a comp pick and you get to optimize things for 2021 which would be my main objective right now.
  • DuffMan likes this

#4 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:02 AM

I still think keeping him and then tag & trade next off-season is the best move. You won't get as much, but still will do much better than a comp pick and you get to optimize things for 2021 which would be my main objective right now.

If the organization decides to stand pat and not move Brown, he can't dog it or hold out because he will severely damage his value and destroy his own market for the coming off season. The Ravens can hold out for a king's ransom in return for Zeus Jr and if they don't get it, they can run out the best bookend tackles in football for the '21 season. The team is definitely in the catbird seat here.

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

I have two opinions on that.

1. Drafting a replacement, even in a draft which looks so promising is no guarantee.  And even if that replacement is good, it's not a sure thing that he will be good immediately and the Ravens should be in a win now mode.  Once Jackson gets paid, pieces of this team are going to start to chip away.  Of course, if they keep Brown this year, he is most likely a piece that will leave in the future.  

2. Brown says it's not about the money, but I have read and heard some things that say he wants to be paid Trent Williams money.  If it really is about being a LT, and not about the money, he may have to agree to a lesser contract to force this trade.  Most teams aren't going to want to part with a #1 and possibly more unless they can lock him up for the future and they may not be willing to pay that money.  

I mean I'm not a GM, but if I was I wouldn't be signing him to LT money when he just doesn't have enough of a track record playing the position imo. 

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:34 PM

I mean I'm not a GM, but if I was I wouldn't be signing him to LT money when he just doesn't have enough of a track record playing the position imo. 

I think numerous teams would jump at the opportunity to pay him normal LT money.  It's just that he's reportedly asking for very top of that market.  If he was only demanding $16-17M APY right now I think the Ravens would already be scouting options for their additional 1st round pick.

In the NFL you oftentimes don't get a ton of time to generate a long track record before having to pay guys.  After 3 years is common.  Orlando played RT before that very well, so it's not like he's only been a starter for half a season.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to say you want to see more from him before being comfortable paying him, but you really don't have that opportunity.  Someone is going to trade something of strong value for him and give him big money to play LT.  Next offseason if not this year, and unless Stanley gets hurt again he won't be playing anymore LT between now and then, so it's really kind of the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=