243 replies to this topic

#241 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 07:32 PM

I think Duke is an interesting case, because about 90% of their legacy as a blue blood is tied to Coach K, who's been coaching there for longer than I've been alive and is responsible for all of their championships and 12 of their 16 final Four appearances. If they don't make a great hire after Coach K (and he's got to he close to retirement) I can pretty easily see them falling back down into the second tier. I think MSU is in the same boat as well with their legacy and Tom Izzo. I think Michigan has a stronger case as an all time great historical program, but Tom Izzo's influence is so strong that he bumps them up.

Every other school in the blue bloods list has seen success under multiple coaching regimes.

Agree, it'll be interesting to see how well each program does once their coaches retire. Syracuse is another one.

Worst case is probably something like UConn where they still remain good. Best case is something like Kentucky or Kansas where it's become such a machine that even if one bad coaching hire is made they'll right the ship with the next. I'd bet on the latter.

#242 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

I feel like any reliable way to track program success would have to be starting from the 64-team tournament era 

#243 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

If you include everything...history, fanbase, venue, revenue, recruiting base within 2 hrs of College Park... Maryland is easily on of the Top 25 jobs in the country.

#244 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:17 AM

We've had 1 S16 appearance in 18 years. Two ways to look at that. One is know your place and dont go biting off more than you can chew in trying to do better than Turge. The second is 1 S16 in 18 years is unacceptable but moreover Turge isn't capable of competing for a title and you have to try to find that. Look, its not easy winning a title. Izzo still only has one and that was 21 years ago. However, he rather consistently produces teams that have been capable of going deep and winning the title.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=