360 replies to this topic

#321 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:21 PM

Brandon Jennings has entered the portal. Ugh.

https://twitter.com/...777222753599496

#322 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:27 PM

Brandon Jennings has entered the portal. Ugh.

https://twitter.com/...777222753599496

I take back what I said about having good depth at ILB lol

@BSLZackKiesel

#323 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:28 PM

Complete disaster. 

#324 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:30 PM

Complete disaster. 

Wouldn't say that until we see who Locksley adds from the portal. This is the nature of college football right now, and every single program is going through it.

@BSLZackKiesel

#325 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:32 PM

At this point, I think we can just scrap whatever potential depth charts we have for 2022 and just wait and see how things shake out over the next few months.

For better or worse, this is the new era of college football. I think it makes for a much more challenging task of building a roster, but I think this freedom of movement players have now is entirely fair, and overdue.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#326 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:38 PM

Wouldn't say that until we see who Locksley adds from the portal. This is the nature of college football right now, and every single program is going through it.

He will add talent. He'll get his share of transfers and some recruits not currently being discussed, and I understand it's the game...  but imo, it's a complete disaster.  

That #18 recruiting class last year means nothing if you can't keep the guys there.  Obviously we know MD typically has skill position talent, and questions on the O-line, Defensive Front 7.  Losing these guys in-particular just really hurts.    

Already at a talent deficit, so you just can't afford to lose guys with that high-end ceiling.  Especially guys that have been in your system for a year and you'll want to be leaning on. 

You want to say hey, "We signed a great class last year, our facilities have been upgraded, we're in a bowl cycle...,"  but then you have these losses and it immediately cuts down any gained traction.

I'll feel better when he starts adding in some players, but these losses the last few days are definitely discouraging to me.

OTOH, Locksley can go out and pursue guys and offer immediate playing time.  
Puts much more emphasis on immediate results being necessary vs. growing a program at all.

#327 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:34 PM

Have faith in the Locks!
  • ShoNuff07 likes this

#328 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:00 PM

He will add talent. He'll get his share of transfers and some recruits not currently being discussed, and I understand it's the game... but imo, it's a complete disaster.

That #18 recruiting class last year means nothing if you can't keep the guys there. Obviously we know MD typically has skill position talent, and questions on the O-line, Defensive Front 7. Losing these guys in-particular just really hurts.

Already at a talent deficit, so you just can't afford to lose guys with that high-end ceiling. Especially guys that have been in your system for a year and you'll want to be leaning on.

You want to say hey, "We signed a great class last year, our facilities have been upgraded, we're in a bowl cycle...," but then you have these losses and it immediately cuts down any gained traction.

I'll feel better when he starts adding in some players, but these losses the last few days are definitely discouraging to me.

Puts much more emphasis on immediate results being necessary vs. growing a program at all.

And over the next few weeks, I’m willing to bet there’ll be comments like this on every single Power 5 message board across the country. Literally every program is going through this, it’s not like it’s somehow specific to Maryland. This is the new normal, and it’ll take some time to re-calibrate our brains to accept it.

High school recruiting used to be the be-all, end-all. Now college recruiting is almost more important, whether it be from junior colleges or the transfer portal.

Losing Jennings and Lewis sucks, but the new reality is that you’re going to lose big chunks of every recruiting class to the portal. As long as you’re able to pick up quality replacements in the same way that you lost them, you’re fine.
@BSLZackKiesel

#329 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:09 PM

The comings and goings through the transfer portal annoy me significantly less than the charade of "verbal commitments" from the high school kids and guys re-opening their recruiting.  I've got nothing against the kids maintaining flexibility, I'm all for it, I just hate the pageantry when it's so meaningless.  

#330 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:24 PM

OL Zach Perkins and DL Almosse Titi have entered the transfer portal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#331 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:35 PM

Technically, yes. Quick Lane is least prestigious, followed by Guaranteed Rate, Pinstripe, then Music City. But I believe these bowls have a bunch of lee-way and take geography into account. In that scenario, I could see why Pinstripe might prefer Maryland over a midwestern team.

Oh c'mon. They are all garbage bowls outside of the big 6. Maybe the Citrus and Outback Bowls have a little more weight. The Holiday Bowl I think used to be something in the 80's. But there is literally no difference in these four. They aren't snubbed if they get Quick Lane rather than Music City. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#332 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:40 PM

Oh c'mon. They are all garbage bowls outside of the big 6. Maybe the Citrus and Outback Bowls have a little more weight. The Holiday Bowl I think used to be something in the 80's. But there is literally no difference in these four. They aren't snubbed if they get Quick Lane rather than Music City. 

Lol I'm referring to the literal pecking order that each conference gives their bowl games. Here's the Big Ten's for this year:

1. Rose Bowl

2. Citrus Bowl

3. Outback Bowl

4. Las Vegas Bowl

5. Music City Bowl

6. Pinstripe Bowl

7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl

8. Quick Lane Bowl

So yes, technically the Quick Lane Bowl would be a snub over any of the ones above it in the pecking order.

@BSLZackKiesel

#333 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:37 PM

He will add talent. He'll get his share of transfers and some recruits not currently being discussed, and I understand it's the game... but imo, it's a complete disaster.

That #18 recruiting class last year means nothing if you can't keep the guys there. Obviously we know MD typically has skill position talent, and questions on the O-line, Defensive Front 7. Losing these guys in-particular just really hurts.

Already at a talent deficit, so you just can't afford to lose guys with that high-end ceiling. Especially guys that have been in your system for a year and you'll want to be leaning on.

You want to say hey, "We signed a great class last year, our facilities have been upgraded, we're in a bowl cycle...," but then you have these losses and it immediately cuts down any gained traction.

We agree. Locksley is a disaster.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#334 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:42 PM

We agree. Locksley is a disaster.

It's his dream job! He bleeds Terrapin red!

#335 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:38 PM

Lol I'm referring to the literal pecking order that each conference gives their bowl games. Here's the Big Ten's for this year:

1. Rose Bowl

2. Citrus Bowl

3. Outback Bowl

4. Las Vegas Bowl

5. Music City Bowl

6. Pinstripe Bowl

7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl

8. Quick Lane Bowl

So yes, technically the Quick Lane Bowl would be a snub over any of the ones above it in the pecking order.

Is it a pecking order, or a list? Other than the obvious best team not in the playoff gets the Rose Bowl. Citrus and Outback are interchangeable. 40 miles apart both against SEC. 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) best teams go there. The rest, no one knows. That's why I don't think it's a pecking order after the top 3 games, or else there wouldn't be predictions. It would be set. Well. based on if Michigan makes it to the playoff I guess. 

Maryland is the 9th best record in the Big Ten. If Michigan loses, falls into this list of 8 bowl games, and this is a pecking order. The Maryland shouldn't get a game. Bowl eligible doesn't mean bowl guaranteed. (But 79 teams have at least 6 wins and there are 82 spots this year). If Michigan wins, Quick Lane Bowl it is. 

But the fact you get invited to the games, geography, eyeballs matter, I think it's a list, not a pecking order. The numbers seem irrelevant and bullet points would make more sense, save for the Rose Bowl.

@BSLMikeRandall

#336 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:25 AM

Is it a pecking order, or a list? Other than the obvious best team not in the playoff gets the Rose Bowl. Citrus and Outback are interchangeable. 40 miles apart both against SEC. 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) best teams go there. The rest, no one knows. That's why I don't think it's a pecking order after the top 3 games, or else there wouldn't be predictions. It would be set. Well. based on if Michigan makes it to the playoff I guess.

Maryland is the 9th best record in the Big Ten. If Michigan loses, falls into this list of 8 bowl games, and this is a pecking order. The Maryland shouldn't get a game. Bowl eligible doesn't mean bowl guaranteed. (But 79 teams have at least 6 wins and there are 82 spots this year). If Michigan wins, Quick Lane Bowl it is.

But the fact you get invited to the games, geography, eyeballs matter, I think it's a list, not a pecking order. The numbers seem irrelevant and bullet points would make more sense, save for the Rose Bowl.

It’s a pecking order.

Also, the Fiesta Bowl has no tie-ins and is purely at-large. Since the Big Ten has enough teams worthy of a New Year’s Bowl regardless of Michigan winning or losing, they’d have access to that one. That’s what you’re seeing in all of these projections.

While you’re technically correct that six wins doesn’t guarantee a bowl, I don’t ever remember a Power 5 team getting 6 and not being selected. There have been far more years when 5-7 teams started getting bowls because there weren’t enough six win teams.
  • Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#337 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:46 PM

QB Taulia Tagovailoa, WR Dontay Demus, Jr., WR Rakim Jarrett, TE Chigoziem Okonkwo, OL Spencer Anderson, and OL Jaelyn Duncan were named as All-Big Ten Honorable Mentions.
@BSLZackKiesel

#338 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:36 PM

QB Taulia Tagovailoa, WR Dontay Demus, Jr., WR Rakim Jarrett, TE Chigoziem Okonkwo, OL Spencer Anderson, and OL Jaelyn Duncan were named as All-Big Ten Honorable Mentions.

For a minute reading that sentence I thought you were going to say they all had entered the transfer portal.

• McNulty, Mike in STL, ShoNuff07 and 1 other like this

#339 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:37 PM

For a minute reading that sentence I thought you were going to say they all had entered the transfer portal.

lol, the exact same thought crossed my mind.

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#340 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:34 PM

247Sports released updated projections this evening and has Maryland facing Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=