Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles’ upcoming decision on José Iglesias’ option could set tone for whole offseason

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:22 PM

Mason McCoy, 556k.

I don't care about the money.  From what I read McCoy is not ready to be a major league SS.

I am no longer interested or ready to accept a team built with the idea that it is okay to win 55 games.

• 1970 likes this
@mikeghg

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

Joe Trezza gets in on the act.

https://www.mlb.com/...rioles-decision

#23 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

I don't care about the money.  From what I read McCoy is not ready to be a major league SS.

....or Martin (whatever)...either way...it has nothing to do with anything other than being a minimum salary player.

McCoy played most of the season in 2019 at AA and has performed well his second year at a level.  In 2020 he should have been the AAA SS and he'll be 26 in March.  Reputation for good defense. He's on the list of guys that need to be protected this year, so creating opportunity for him serves several purposes (none of which are winning, ever)

I am no longer interested or ready to accept a team built with the idea that it is okay to win 55 games.

...I would continue to suggest your short-term goals are not aligned with those of John and Lou Angelos.

#24 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

...so people are trying to describe Iglesias' trade value.

Let's (pretend) trade him to the Angels since they could be a candidate team (say...Simmons signs with Reds) and we have something of a model with the Bundy trade. The Orioles made a choice to in that trade (and other trades) to pursue a certain lower profile of players. So let's say you could get half of what they got in the Bundy trade....so 2 guys, one at the back end of their top 30 and another pitcher out of the 2019 draft.

Just to use names for perspective let's consider SS Jose Bonilla (#29, last IFA class, 600k) and P Brent Killam (NR, 11rd 2019, 125k) as a possible, reasonable return for Iglesias.
------------------------

The discussion is really a risk/reward consideration and has 3 possible scenarios..
1) Competing in 2021
2) Trade value (Bonilla and Killam)
3) No risk save 2.5M

This is the same risk/reward scenario they ran for Villar last year and we they let him go for basically nothing, avoiding the arbitration hearing (traded for Easton Lucas, NR, 14rd 2019, 75k).

If you can't pull off a trade, then you have up to 3M in cost risk for the season. A year ago, nobody wanted Iglesias....he's an Oriole because nobody wanted him. He certainly played well above his career numbers. If you think you can get more at the deadline, he could also go back to career norms or have additional injury issues (I thought he had played more games last year) and if you can't move him, you eat all of the money.

The Arbitration filing deadline gave the Orioles more time last year to work something out than the Contract option deadline does this year.

It should be an easy call for picking up the option, right? Even if he fails this year and you eat the money. So what's driving the notion this isn't easy? (and 3 beat writers are getting in on this now, before Sunday). They don't have to wait until Sunday to pick up the option. They could pick it up 20 minutes ago.

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:00 AM

Option picked up for 2021 per Roch.

#26 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

Option picked up for 2021 per Roch.

Easiest decision of the offseason IMO.  You can deal him this offseason if you want, or trade him any time from ST to the deadline next season.  But he's a solid contributor on the field and in the clubhouse.

This also bodes well that the club may be a little more active in FA with a few targets out there that could help both in the short and long term.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:17 AM

Sure they'll be active in minor league free agency
  • BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

Orioles announced around 1100 this morning they were picking up the option.

Good thing they waited until this morning.

#29 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

I don't get the negativity toward the O's for not picking up the option until yesterday? Good grief give it a rest. Not one single poster on here knows what they were doing behind the scenes. Shoot maybe they weren't doing a damn thing. So freaking what? They picked up the option and that is a good thing. Give them some credit.

Shoot if they picked it up the first day they could some would bash them for not taking their time to evaluate their options.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:24 PM

Whoops.

#31 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:35 PM

Traded to the Angels - I wonder what for?

A) Mike Trout

B) Joe Adell and Brandon Marsh 

C) nothing of significance

#32 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:36 PM

Traded to the Angels - I wonder what for?

I think you're asking the wrong question.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:38 PM

I think you're asking the wrong question.

You know - I thought you'd think that. And I posted it anyway. My bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=