786 replies to this topic

#181 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

The NBA and NFL are kicking themselves for not having anything scheduled in Georgia. Can't let MLB have all this action for themselves.

#182 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

Fair enough. I have also read the synopsis and don't see it as reducing ability to vote one bit. We'll just agree to disagree.

They're reducing days of early voting. They're reducing the time you have to request an absentee ballot and lengthening the deadline by which those requests need to be received. They're reducing the number of locations you can drop off absentee ballots. They are reducing the hours which you can drop off ballots at those locations.

You can argue that the efforts that make it harder to vote are in service of trying to make voting more secure or to allow counting of ballots to be more efficient. I'd disagree to an extent (esp on the security aspect), but you can at least honestly argue that. You can't seriously claim the bill doesn't make it more difficult to vote. It clearly does.
  • CantonJester likes this

#183 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

They're reducing days of early voting. They're reducing the time you have to request an absentee ballot and lengthening the deadline by which those requests need to be received. They're reducing the number of locations you can drop off absentee ballots. They are reducing the hours which you can drop off ballots at those locations.

You can argue that the efforts that make it harder to vote are in service of trying to make voting more secure or to allow counting of ballots to be more efficient. I'd disagree to an extent (esp on the security aspect), but you can at least honestly argue that. You can't seriously claim the bill doesn't make it more difficult to vote. It clearly does.

There's a good chance those of us on the right won't get an honest interpretation of what these laws are designed to do. 

Then again, if Republicans follow this up with a push to distribute photo ID’s to every single voting-age citizen in America, then I’ll believe they actually care about photo ID. But as it is, there are currently over 250 bills in 43 states designed to restrict or reduce voting access. Every single one of them were brought forward by the GOP. This is who they are now. 

If you're a Republican and this offends you, nominate better people to run for political office.

• SBTarheel and You Play to Win the Game like this

#184 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

CBS Sports: Twins' Jose Berrios, Brewers' Corbin Burnes flirt with no-hitters during historic pitching duel

https://www.cbssport...-pitching-duel/

#185 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

CBS Sports: MLB weekend winners and losers: Trey Mancini returns, helps Orioles sweep Red Sox; Josh Donaldson hits IL
https://www.cbssport...aldson-hits-il/

#186 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:28 PM

Just my opinion, but I believe that MLB 100% got it wrong.  First, I think all sports needs to divorce themselves from politics.  I don't tune into sports and entertainment to hear a political lecture.  There's enough of that already out there.   Second, who did they hurt?  The politicians that voted for the law?  Not likely.  The people of Georgia?  Yeah, it will cost the state probably a few hundred thousand dollars in tax revenue.  Big deal.  When the politicians want to make it up, they will simply find a way to increase a tax to get it back.  

So who got hurt?  The kids who might never get a chance at seeing an All Star game again.  The hotels that would have done some extra business.  The vendors who would have gotten a chance at a pretty good extra pay day.   The pride of the Atlanta sports fans who may not support the law in question at all.   It's a knee jerk reaction that was better off left untouched.  Want to make a real statement MLB?  Maybe spend your millions in profit supporting the people who will next run against every Georgia politician supporting the law.  That's putting your money where your mouth is.  I won't wait for that outcome because I know it isn't coming.  It's much easier to make a grandstand statement that doesn't cost you actual money.  

I heard late today that a few senators are heading up an effort to remove MLB's anti-trust protections.  I hope they are successful.  MLB has had an anti-trust special protection that has been in question for a long time.  Maybe if they get stripped of it, every sports league will back out of the political arena and stick to what they do best:  sports!

• russsnyder likes this

#187 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:53 PM

Just my opinion, but I believe that MLB 100% got it wrong. First, I think all sports needs to divorce themselves from politics. I don't tune into sports and entertainment to hear a political lecture. There's enough of that already out there. Second, who did they hurt? The politicians that voted for the law? Not likely. The people of Georgia? Yeah, it will cost the state probably a few hundred thousand dollars in tax revenue. Big deal. When the politicians want to make it up, they will simply find a way to increase a tax to get it back.

So who got hurt? The kids who might never get a chance at seeing an All Star game again. The hotels that would have done some extra business. The vendors who would have gotten a chance at a pretty good extra pay day. The pride of the Atlanta sports fans who may not support the law in question at all. It's a knee jerk reaction that was better off left untouched. Want to make a real statement MLB? Maybe spend your millions in profit supporting the people who will next run against every Georgia politician supporting the law. That's putting your money where your mouth is. I won't wait for that outcome because I know it isn't coming. It's much easier to make a grandstand statement that doesn't cost you actual money.

I heard late today that a few senators are heading up an effort to remove MLB's anti-trust protections. I hope they are successful. MLB has had an anti-trust special protection that has been in question for a long time. Maybe if they get stripped of it, every sports league will back out of the political arena and stick to what they do best: sports!

I think the cat is out of the bag as far as mixing politics and sports. Professional sports have made the decision to mix both. However, MLB is an interesting position because of the anti trust exemption. They will have to handle what comes next. Backlash from fans and politicians is inevitable. I doubt that MLB loses the anti-trust designation. However, it will cost them time and money in an economy that obviously has obviously racked the sports and entertainment industries.
  • cprenegade likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#188 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:03 AM

Just my opinion, but I believe that MLB 100% got it wrong. First, I think all sports needs to divorce themselves from politics. I don't tune into sports and entertainment to hear a political lecture. There's enough of that already out there. Second, who did they hurt? The politicians that voted for the law? Not likely. The people of Georgia? Yeah, it will cost the state probably a few hundred thousand dollars in tax revenue. Big deal. When the politicians want to make it up, they will simply find a way to increase a tax to get it back.

So who got hurt? The kids who might never get a chance at seeing an All Star game again. The hotels that would have done some extra business. The vendors who would have gotten a chance at a pretty good extra pay day. The pride of the Atlanta sports fans who may not support the law in question at all. It's a knee jerk reaction that was better off left untouched. Want to make a real statement MLB? Maybe spend your millions in profit supporting the people who will next run against every Georgia politician supporting the law. That's putting your money where your mouth is. I won't wait for that outcome because I know it isn't coming. It's much easier to make a grandstand statement that doesn't cost you actual money.

I heard late today that a few senators are heading up an effort to remove MLB's anti-trust protections. I hope they are successful. MLB has had an anti-trust special protection that has been in question for a long time. Maybe if they get stripped of it, every sports league will back out of the political arena and stick to what they do best: sports!

You think sports needs to remove itself from politics... but you think MLB should put its money where it’s mouth is to become a political action committee?

If those that are affected by this speak loudly enough, maybe it will bring change for the better, like Seth mentioned, the NC bathroom bill.
@BSLMikeRandall

#189 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

Fair enough. I have also read the synopsis and don't see it as reducing ability to vote one bit. We'll just agree to disagree.

I don't think the law was meant to disenfranchise old white guys, so you probably wouldn't notice anything.

• SBTarheel and mweb08 like this

#190 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:17 AM

You think sports needs to remove itself from politics... but you think MLB should put its money where it’s mouth is to become a political action committee?

If those that are affected by this speak loudly enough, maybe it will bring change for the better, like Seth mentioned, the NC bathroom bill.

That's the hope!!

The people spoke at the ballot box, and cost the GOP the Senate, so the GOP decided to simply take the ballot boxes away. Like "Canton Jester"  said so perfectly above, it's very simple, this is just who they are now. 

@beginthebegin71

#191 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

Mayor Scott already campaigning for it 

https://twitter.com/...068394344394758

I would love to see it, but as long as MLB is in bed with the Nationals, I would think it is very unlikely.

@mikeghg

#192 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:46 AM

I've seen talk of moving it to KC, since 2020 was the 100th anniversary of the Negro Leagues and MLB didn't get a chance to properly celebrate it, but you'd have to think Baltimore would be near the top of the list except for the MASN issue.

#193 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

I'd hate for Baltimore to have the '21 game.  If you are hosting,  you want it to be a celebration. I guess we will be in a position to gather fully at that point, and you should show off a bit... but it's really not a lot of time to plan and coordinate and do things right.  Much rather have it another year.

• Nigel Tufnel, Mike in STL, TwentyThirtyFive and 1 other like this

#194 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:26 PM

ESPN: Houston Astros' strong opening statement and other observations from MLB's first weekend

https://www.espn.com...b-first-weekend

#195 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:51 PM

CBS Sports: Power Rankings
https://www.cbssport...aldson-hits-il/

#196 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:20 PM

Looks like it’s going to be at Coors Field.

https://twitter.com/...9479605252?s=21
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLRoseKatz like this

#197 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,012 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:32 AM

40 yr old Nelly Cruz has 8 ABs on the year. 4 hits, 2HRs, and a double to boot. An ageless wonder.

#198 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

I'd hate for Baltimore to have the '21 game. If you are hosting, you want it to be a celebration. I guess we will be in a position to gather fully at that point, and you should show off a bit... but it's really not a lot of time to plan and coordinate and do things right. Much rather have it another year.

That’s how I feel. I remember going to fan fest as a kid in 1993. Something like that would either not exist or not be worth it.

It’s definitely Baltimore’s turn to host again though. Be sad if more than a few years go by without getting it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#199 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

40 yr old Nelly Cruz has 8 ABs on the year. 4 hits, 2HRs, and a double to boot. An ageless wonder.

“When you turn 34 you can’t hit ball anymore" they said.
@BSLMikeRandall

#200 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:52 AM

Well, there's probably a good reason why that's the case for him. Love the guy, but yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=