#1 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Biggest game of the year? Potentially yes. If the Ravens don't win this one, the division title will be a lot harder to achieve. It should be a good one with two very evenly matched teams.

https://baltimorespo...lers-at-ravens/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this
@gabefergy

#2 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:48 PM

Well done Gabe. Like most of what I've read from you this is well thought out so there's not a lot to pick at.

Let's hope the Oline puts its big boy pants on and I like the idea of running straight at Dupree (behind Stanley & Bozeman). We have to be able to run the ball so big plays will be there. On defense I agree we should challenge them as much as we can at the LOS. We won't be able to jam every WR in their bunch formations though. I think this will be Queen's kind of game to just react and go hit somebody.

Feels like old school Ravens-Steelers.

#3 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

Well done Gabe. Like most of what I've read from you this is well thought out so there's not a lot to pick at.

Let's hope the Oline puts its big boy pants on and I like the idea of running straight at Dupree (behind Stanley & Bozeman). We have to be able to run the ball so big plays will be there. On defense I agree we should challenge them as much as we can at the LOS. We won't be able to jam every WR in their bunch formations though. I think this will be Queen's kind of game to just react and go hit somebody.

Feels like old school Ravens-Steelers.

Thanks!

I love that this game matters so much. Ravens - Steelers match-ups have been a bit watered down in recent years, but this one has so much at stake,

IMO the keys are going to be how the Ravens defend the Steelers short passing game and can the Ravens use Lamar to unlock the running game against a very tough Steelers defense.

@gabefergy

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:48 PM

Thanks!

I love that this game matters so much. Ravens - Steelers match-ups have been a bit watered down in recent years, but this one has so much at stake,

IMO the keys are going to be how the Ravens defend the Steelers short passing game and can the Ravens use Lamar to unlock the running game against a very tough Steelers defense.

I think it's going to come down to how much pressure they can put on Big Ben.  Even if they can only get him to the ground a couple of times, making him hurry throws or start to do stupid things leading to turnovers will be key.  Last week against Tennessee, he could have knitted sweaters in the pocket he had so much time to throw.  Stuffing Conner will be huge too. Offensively, it's going to be tough to get anything on the ground and I'm not expecting much.  Lamar's going to have to do it himself on breakaway plays.  Should be a low scoring game that at this point, could go either way.  I just don't want to see any KC type beating. 

• GabeFerguson likes this

#5 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

I think it's going to come down to how much pressure they can put on Big Ben.  Even if they can only get him to the ground a couple of times, making him hurry throws or start to do stupid things leading to turnovers will be key.  Last week against Tennessee, he could have knitted sweaters in the pocket he had so much time to throw.  Stuffing Conner will be huge too. Offensively, it's going to be tough to get anything on the ground and I'm not expecting much.  Lamar's going to have to do it himself on breakaway plays.  Should be a low scoring game that at this point, could go either way.  I just don't want to see any KC type beating. 

Getting some pressure on Ben is definitely going to be important. He's been getting rid of the ball so fast, the pressure has not really been getting to him this year. He is one of the lowest in the league in getting hit. I'd like to see that change on Sunday. If the Ravens can throw off the timing of their routes it should allow some of the pass-rush to get to him. I think it all starts with the coverage and scheme.

• jamesdean likes this
@gabefergy

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:04 PM

Getting some pressure on Ben is definitely going to be important. He's been getting rid of the ball so fast, the pressure has not really been getting to him this year. He is one of the lowest in the league in getting hit. I'd like to see that change on Sunday. If the Ravens can throw off the timing of their routes it should allow some of the pass-rush to get to him. I think it all starts with the coverage and scheme.

One thing that could be evolving with the Ravens going forward is their ability to generate pressure with the front 4.  It's something that has been missing for years and with the talent they have in the secondary, they could be building maybe the best defense since the first Super Bowl year.  It has the potential to be that dominant.  I know it's only his first game but I'm really looking forward to see how Yannick does and how much difference he will make.  On paper, it looks promising at least.  

#7 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

When you talk about the lack of pressure against the Steelers offense, it isn't based on their line because the pressure rate increases when they face third and long. 

It's forcing Ben to pat the ball when 80% of his completions are within 7 yards, which means that you drop defensive lineman, bump and run the corners, make sure the edge chips the tight end or the bunch slot WR.  You do the little dirty things to knock off timing.

I think Ben hears the footsteps and nothing anyone can say, write, display with stats can throw me off that train of thought.  If they get to him, it will get worse as the game moves on.

If the Ravens control the ground game, it puts pressure on their passing game to do more than manufacture yards.  The Ravens simply have to make sure they're not peaking into the pocket and play assignment football.  Communication is important in mesh concept passing games.  Passing off players, stick and switch, roll offs in that underneath game and quick out rubs.

I believe the Ravens will take a page out of the Chiefs playbook and flatten the line, force Ben to throw over the top and complete passes that are no longer a strength of his game with diminished velocity.  Get him into 5 and 7 step concepts and watch him pat the ball and one eye geared on avoiding the next hit.

@Olsen_Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=