21 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

Does anyone have any? Is this going to become a thing?

It sounds like only high end blu-ray players play these. Also the XBox Series X (which maybe gives it a leg up on the PS5?)

I bought a bunch of DVDs like an idiot over the years. Put them all in a carrying case a recycled the shells. Been buying just my absolute favorites on Blu-Ray the last five years or so, and even been picky with that as many will become part of a set, or an older movie that will likely have an anniversary release with lots of bonus stuff. (I love bonus features).

Now this? Will it have the staying power of blu-rays? Is it noticeably better looking on screen if you have these?

@BSLMikeRandall

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:39 PM

I have been thinking the same thing. I have a 10 year old BR played that still works fine. Bought a 4K QLED TV two years ago. Haven’t really been utilizing the 4K but I don’t know if it’s worth it to make the upgrades. I may ask for a 4K player for Christmas and see what happens. I do know they’re starting to release more movies in 4K like Blade. LOL. But I’m not going to be rushing out to replace my BR movies with 4K movies. Well except maybe The Godfather movies.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

Physical media is dying/dead, UHD will be for collectors/movie buffs.

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Physical media is dying/dead, UHD will be for collectors/movie buffs.

I prefer discs to streaming, downloads. Better specs all the way around and you don't have to worry about "losing" whatever you downloaded.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:35 AM

Amazon Prime Video 4K movie/TV list...

https://hd-report.co...n-amazon-video/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#6 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

I prefer discs to streaming, downloads. Better specs all the way around and you don't have to worry about "losing" whatever you downloaded.

Comcast also has a super low monthly data cap, if you're streaming a lot of 4k HDR content.

It is noticeably better picture though.

#7 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

If you have a 4K TV and you still occasionally buy Blu Rays, it may make sense to get a UHD player.  I definitely would not repurchase your disc library in 4K, but you could buy UHD discs going forward.  You can get a player for less than $200, probably less than that on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.  A 4K disc will look better than 4K streaming, although I think the jump from Blu Ray to UHD is not as noticeable as from DVD to Blu Ray (but I only have a 50-inch TV and I probably sit 15 feet away).

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

Lord of the Rings is coming to 4k in December I think.  If I upgrade it will be because of that.

• Dupin likes this

#9 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

DirecTV showed the Dodgers-Braves series on their 4K channel.  I couldn't tell much difference in picture quality from 15 feet away, but if I stood about 6 feet away, the picture looked great.  Also, the sound on the 4K channel was Dolby Digital Plus, instead of regular Dolby Digital, but I have no idea if that makes a difference.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#10 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:39 PM

Lord of the Rings is coming to 4k in December I think.  If I upgrade it will be because of that.

They're upping the resolution directly from the original film reel, so it should be good quality.  This will be the 3rd time I buy the series, and I do not regret it.

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

Amazon has the 4K blu ray version of New Hope on sale for $15.

https://www.amazon.c...e7a0d52cbc40INT

#12 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:54 AM

Best Buy has an entry-level Panasonic 4K player on sale for $99.

Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Dolby Atmos Audio DVD/CD/3D Blu-Ray Player Black Black DP-UB150-K - Best Buy

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:30 PM

I have a $150 Sony 4K/UHD player on my Amazon wish list for Christmas. I'm ready for the upgrade although BR discs still look amazing on my TV but the TV is 4K so I might as well use the technology.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

Welp I just upgraded my TV, we went from a 48 inch to a 70 inch!  Now to get the Lord of The Rings films, again

#15 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:42 PM

I love my 4K TV, it makes even old b&w pop and look better.

I truly dont notice too much diff between DVDs and BlU-Ray discs.

Let me tell you a story for all of you streamers. Lost power in my neighborhood for 8 hours, no worries, whole house generator kicked up and did its job, but my cable system was totally down, apparently one of the repeaters along the way went down and I had no signal.

Dug into my cabinets of dvds and rewatch a couple of my favs.

Nothing wrong with streaming, but having the ability to old school it, works too. :) :) :)

Dang old school is DVDs. Im so old, I remember the 1 inch professional tapes used by the TV stations, not to mention, the huge reels that the moviehouses played the movies on. Trival question, watching old movies, what is the white dot that flashes in the right hand corner?

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

Trival question, watching old movies, what is the white dot that flashes in the right hand corner?

So the projectionist knows to change the reel.

#17 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

So the projectionist knows to change the reel.

Nicely done.

My Great Uncle was a projectionist and worked at a movie house, back when it was real work, not like these days.

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:42 PM

The World Series is on DirecTV's 4K channel, in case anyone else has been to lazy to cord cut.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,392 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:23 PM

4K on FiOS as well.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,392 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 08:15 PM

Fox 4K is pretty crappy. Closeups look phenomenal but the backgrounds on any wide shots (dirt or grass) have a ton of problems. Been paying around with settings and can't eliminate it. It's not there on the normal HD broadcast. Makes me think the 4K is just upconverted or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=