#121 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:04 AM

So basically do you want to play at Maryland or overseas making money.

I guess he could go overseas, but I don't think what he is doing, is any different than what Ayala did last year.

I think if he plays at Maryland and does well, it makes it easier for Willard to open up the Dematha pipeline.

@mikeghg

#122 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:18 AM

Its definitely a good thing for guys just on the outside to go through the process a first time so they can be better prepared for it the next year while also getting some direct feedback on what they need to work on improving (though they likely already know that).

#123 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2022 - 02:20 PM

According to Jon Rothstein, MD has lined up a visit with Mississippi St transfer Shakeel Moore next week, a 6'-1" CG who began his college career at NC State. Ironically Moore also plans to visit Seton Hall.

#124 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:11 AM

Detroit Mercy transfer G Antoine Davis plans to visit Maryland, along with Cincinnati, Georgetown and Kansas State. He averaged 24 points per game, and is one of the top transfers in the country.

Davis will be committing today at 3:00 PM, will be deciding between BYU and Maryland.
@BSLZackKiesel

#125 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:31 AM

Davis will be committing today at 3:00 PM, will be deciding between BYU and Maryland.

Interesting situation. He's leaving his dad as his current coach, former Indiana coach Mike Davis. Dad said NIL was a big part of the decision to transfer so I guess that may indicate how Maryland is doing there.

He is 22nd all time in points in the NCAA, 7th all time in FGA. Sure there will be the weird COVID 5th year asterisk but he's got a good shot at ending up a top 5 all time scorer. 

https://www.detroitn...rcy/7346690001/

#126 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:33 AM

If Maryland gets out NIL’d by freaking BYU, we’ve got serious issues.

#127 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:34 AM

Kind of hard seeing the fit for  Davis and Young at G

#128 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:35 AM

Young takes a lot of shots. Has the ball in his hand a lot. Davis seems the same way. Just doesn't feel like the right fit after Young committed.

#129 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 10:55 AM

https://www.gofundme.com/f/turtle-nil

That's the full extent of what MD is doing as far as NIL collectives, a GoFundMe with $160 to it. I think BYU, with the gazillions the Mormon Church funnels, might be able beat that by just a bit. Just go ahead and assume any recruiting battle that is primarily about NIL is one MD will lose.

• Mike B likes this

#130 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2022 - 12:06 PM

https://www.gofundme.com/f/turtle-nil

That's the full extent of what MD is doing as far as NIL collectives, a GoFundMe with $160 to it. I think BYU, with the gazillions the Mormon Church funnels, might be able beat that by just a bit. Just go ahead and assume any recruiting battle that is primarily about NIL is one MD will lose.

Sad but hopefully the news will be good at 3PM.

@mikeghg

#131 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2022 - 02:18 PM

In a surprising move, Davis will be returning to Detroit Mercy after receiving a large NIL deal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#132 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 02:30 PM

He got a 6-figure deal with some Chinese basketball manufacturer that was apparently contingent on him staying in Detroit.

https://www.on3.com/...t-announcement/

#133 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2022 - 02:35 PM

In a surprising move, Davis will be returning to Detroit Mercy after receiving a large NIL deal.

Good for him I guess.  

As for Maryland, move on, and identify who is next.

College sports are totally different now.

NIL is here to stay, so Mr. Willard,  figure out how you can make Maryland an option.

@mikeghg

#134 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 02:52 PM

Good for him I guess.  

As for Maryland, move on, and identify who is next.

College sports are totally different now.

NIL is here to stay, so Mr. Willard,  figure out how you can make Maryland an option.

It's more Damon Evans's job than the coaches. He needs to get out and engage with boosters, alumni and fans to let them know that this is how it works now, what the rules are, and what the consequences are if MD can't compete in NIL. But he just wants to wait and hope someone comes along and reigns it all in, but that toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.

https://www.testudot...ting-thread-6-0

• Mike B likes this

#135 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:10 PM

It's more Damon Evans's job than the coaches. He needs to get out and engage with boosters, alumni and fans to let them know that this is how it works now, what the rules are, and what the consequences are if MD can't compete in NIL. But he just wants to wait and hope someone comes along and reigns it all in, but that toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.

https://www.testudot...ting-thread-6-0

Maybe Evans isn't the guy then.

@mikeghg

#136 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

Depressing.

#137 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:44 PM

I've never even heard of this guy before today, he's a guard for Detroit Mercy, and he got a six figure deal from some Chinese basketball making company?

Weird.

#138 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 04:11 PM

Detroit Mercy is a hospital?

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#139 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2022 - 04:40 PM

Really is the wild wild west out there with all this, but the NCAA did it to themselves. I’m glad athletes that generate massive revenue are starting to get some compensation. Regulation is badly needed though to protect these kids from all kinds of nefarious financial compensation deals, so I hope something happens soon to at least create a playbook and some boundaries.
  • Mike B likes this

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 04:50 PM

I hope something happens soon to at least create a playbook and some boundaries.

The question is, who? The NCAA is feckless and afraid of ending up back in court if they tighten it too much. The leadership in college sports seem to want Congress to bail them out, and some legislators have expressed an interest in doing something, but I don't think we're anywhere close on that. The conference commissioners could come together and try to reach enough of a consensus to bring some order, but these knuckleheads can't even agree on an expanded football playoff, so I think getting a handle on NIL is way beyond their capacity. I think this is how the game is going to be played for the foreseeable future, so you can get in, or get out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=