#1 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

Possibly the game of the year, we should all be excited for this one.

https://baltimorespo...iefs-at-ravens/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, DuffMan and 1 other like this
@gabefergy

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

To me, it's pretty simple.  If the Ravens pound the ball 35-40 times, chew up major clock and keep Mahomes butt on the sideline, they'll win this game.  I know it's going to be tempting for Roman to come out slinging since KC's defense leaves a lot to be desired but if they learned anything from the last two encounters it's not to get into a shootout with them.  They're terrible against the run too so make them pay for it.  If it means only scoring 27 points instead of 37, so be it.  They can go wild through the air in other games.  I truly believe if they don't take this approach, they'll lose yet again to the Chiefs. 

#3 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

I hope they're aggressive with going for two and going for it on 4th down like last year's game. Seeing the Chargers punt in overtime last week so cowardly and they got exactly what everyone anticipated. 

#4 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

I'd bunch going for 2 or 4th downs into 3 groups. 

1. Just doing it to be aggressive. This is what the Ravens did last year. I think the added expectation of getting 8 on their first TD vs 6 probably wasn't that big of a swing either way that early in the game. I didn't love that last year, wouldn't want to see it this year. 

2. Doing it because the analytics tell you so. In this case the gap of chance to win goes way up if you convert vs not. Each team does this differently, but I don't think I'd disagree at any point if this was the reason. 

3. Game flow dictates it. I think this is more what should have happened in the LAC game. The Charges D was much stronger in the first half but the rush wasn't gettnig home in the 2nd half. The defense is good, but the game flow felt like it might have dictated giving it a shot. In this case, I think the analytics were probably a push for them, or slightly leaned to kick, so they did, but I'd have wanted to go more with how things were playing out on the field. Harbs seems to have a good feel for this though...then again, it could also just be the analytics speaking, too. 

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#5 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:34 PM

The most important aspect Monday night will be yards after contact.  There are pro bowl targets on both sides of the ball and these offenses mirror each other talent wise.  The approach to the game is different, but from a skill set and talent standpoint there are more than a fair share of similarities.

Both defenses will give up plays, good offensive players find a way to make a play.

It will depend on who can break a tackle and turn that decent play into a game driving play, turning a punt to a field goal, turning a field goal into a touchdown opportunity

The defense that plays sound football and limits the communication mistakes, missed tackles, poor attack angles will win this game.

@Olsen_Don

#6 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

Didnt put it in the article but KC has been one of the worst tackling teams in the NFL
@gabefergy

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

I’m very nervous about this game
  • sandiegosean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:35 PM

I’m very nervous about this game

I wasn't for the Titans...so as a knee jerk reaction I am now for this one. 

Trying to decide to go Vegas, I want to, but that's where I was for the Tenn. game. 

#9 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:07 PM

I am so looking forward to this as the biggest game of the season and sure to be some peak football. The Ravens have the team to beat the Chiefs, but KC just has this crazy knack for winning. They can get beat the whole game and they wiggle out of it. The Ravens just need to stay poised and focused and pound the rock for sixty minutes.

As excited as I am, I won't be gutted if the Ravens don't win if they play a good game. I feel like a loss or two in season will be healthy in the long run, and we're going to need to meet Kansas City in four months for all the marbles.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:55 PM

I am so looking forward to this as the biggest game of the season and sure to be some peak football. The Ravens have the team to beat the Chiefs, but KC just has this crazy knack for winning. They can get beat the whole game and they wiggle out of it. The Ravens just need to stay poised and focused and pound the rock for sixty minutes.

As excited as I am, I won't be gutted if the Ravens don't win if they play a good game. I feel like a loss or two in season will be healthy in the long run, and we're going to need to meet Kansas City in four months for all the marbles.

I hope you are right and we get to do it here and the fans are there.

@mikeghg

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:19 PM

I hope they're aggressive with going for two and going for it on 4th down like last year's game. Seeing the Chargers punt in overtime last week so cowardly and they got exactly what everyone anticipated. 

I think this is what put them in a deep hole in last years game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:40 PM

Maybe I'm just being weird, but due to the arm's-length win of Week 2 and the blowout of Week 1, I feel like there's some secret offensive weapon that hasn't been unleashed yet that they were saving for this game specifically, should they not need to unleash it earlier.

This is based on literally nothing but wishful thinking, but I feel like we might see one of the rookies in unexpected heavy, -heavy- rotation this week.

Possibly JK? IDK. 

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Maybe I'm just being weird, but due to the arm's-length win of Week 2 and the blowout of Week 1, I feel like there's some secret offensive weapon that hasn't been unleashed yet that they were saving for this game specifically, should they not need to unleash it earlier.

This is based on literally nothing but wishful thinking, but I feel like we might see one of the rookies in unexpected heavy, -heavy- rotation this week.

Possibly JK? IDK. 

I think they have kept some things in the vault.  Screen passers to JK and Duvernay and more designed runs from Lamar?

@mikeghg

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

I'm excited to see what the ratings are come Tuesday morning. It won't be the highest ever viewership for  MNF because it's on cable. The 85' Bears vs. Dolphins classic owns that with about 39M viewers. The highest rated game in the ESPN era going back to 2006 is Favre's first game against the Packers, when he was with the Vikings in 2009, drew just shy of 22M viewers. 

Last weeks Raiders/Saints had 15.6M. 

What these teams don't have following them is fanbases the size of the Cowboys which own a lot of the highest rated MNF games. But, each team probably has more guys on fantasy football rosters than any other pair of teams in the league. Fantasy, DFS players, and people who just want to see the two best in the business trading blows will be tuning in. I hope more than 22M tune in.

IIRC, NFL Network had a countdown of best regular season games of 2019, and KC/Baltimore was number 3. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:01 AM

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. I expressed most of mine in the game day live. FWIW I was nervous for the Titans playoff game because of the potential game flow. It turned out to be a bad matchup but more importantly we were outplayed. Mahomes is a bad matchup for anyone but I do think we are the better team and have more to play for.

I also expect us to break out some new stuff for this game, like Epic said. More JK and Duvernay. Being more aggressive and creative with blitzes. It does feel like we've been holding back a bit for this game. I could see us running away from them if we get up early and run the ball like we're capable of, especially vs them. We won't take the foot off the pedal. I'm taking the Ravens 37-23. Chiefs best not be half stepping or they'll get stomped. They've been playing with fire and relying on Mahomes to bail them out. I think it's our night this time

#16 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:06 AM

I'd bunch going for 2 or 4th downs into 3 groups. 

1. Just doing it to be aggressive. This is what the Ravens did last year. I think the added expectation of getting 8 on their first TD vs 6 probably wasn't that big of a swing either way that early in the game. I didn't love that last year, wouldn't want to see it this year. 

2. Doing it because the analytics tell you so. In this case the gap of chance to win goes way up if you convert vs not. Each team does this differently, but I don't think I'd disagree at any point if this was the reason. 

3. Game flow dictates it. I think this is more what should have happened in the LAC game. The Charges D was much stronger in the first half but the rush wasn't gettnig home in the 2nd half. The defense is good, but the game flow felt like it might have dictated giving it a shot. In this case, I think the analytics were probably a push for them, or slightly leaned to kick, so they did, but I'd have wanted to go more with how things were playing out on the field. Harbs seems to have a good feel for this though...then again, it could also just be the analytics speaking, too. 

This is really well said. I agree whole heartedly, especially with #3. I only saw the bonus coverage after the Ravens game. But I can't imagine analytics were weighted heavily in either direction and I don't know if it accounts for game flow or the opponent. But in that situation, no way in hell I kick it. I bet most fans were thinking the same way.

#17 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:46 PM

Great preview, Gabe.

The Chiefs are particularly suspect against play action, which is something that should fit well with the read option in this game.  I don't think the Ravens can get away from forcing the Chiefs to defend the entire field and taking what the Chiefs give them.

In terms of a special tactic, I'd like to see Roman come up with a creative counter for Chris Jones like they did for Aaron Donald in last year's Rams game.  So if the Chiefs manufacture 1-on-1 matchups for Jones to win, perhaps the Ravens can pull a guard on pass plays to double him.

• sandiegosean likes this

#18 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

I'm excited to see what the ratings are come Tuesday morning. It won't be the highest ever viewership for  MNF because it's on cable. The 85' Bears vs. Dolphins classic owns that with about 39M viewers. The highest rated game in the ESPN era going back to 2006 is Favre's first game against the Packers, when he was with the Vikings in 2009, drew just shy of 22M viewers. 

Cable?   I'll be watching the game on ESPN and I don't have cable.  YouTubeTV for me.  We can't compare the viewership to '85 when there were only three networks.  Fox didn't come on the scene until 1986.  There are so many additional options for viewing today compared to back then, or even 2006.   Netflix streaming was not an option until 2007.  This game won't match the viewership of Bears/Dolphins because there a gazillion more options for viewership.  Being on ESPN vs ABC has nothing to do with it.   

#19 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

Predictions here? Or in the Game Thread.

38-27. 

Jackson posts 350 yards passing, 100 yards rushing 4 passing TDs. 1 rushing TD. No INTs. 

#20 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:56 PM

Predictions here? Or in the Game Thread.

38-27.

Jackson posts 350 yards passing, 100 yards rushing 4 passing TDs. 1 rushing TD. No INTs.

Jackson may put himself as the front-runner, ahead of Wilson, for MVP if he does that. And the way Wilson has played, that's saying a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=