26 replies to this topic

#1 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

Check out my prediction for Week 1 and the Ravens, what do you think the score will be? 

https://baltimorespo...ome-quick-hits/

Also, some quick hits on other thoughts as we head into Week 1. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, Mike in STL and 1 other like this

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

38-10 Ravens
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

Check out my prediction for Week 1 and the Ravens, what do you think the score will be? 

In your quick hits: I agree, an injury at T would likely be a disaster.

Overall, my biggest question going into this game is the run defense, (with season S questions a close second). Will it be strong as it was  against the Browns last year (after a rough start), or will it show the weaknesses that contributed to the playoff debacle?

Browns may be fired up for a new coach, but Ravens still win going away: 28-17

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

Double digit win. I'll say 31-17.

I think they go for two at some point.

#5 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

This week is so unpredictable for all the obvious reasons. One thing I'll lean on is I don't believe the Browns are a good tackling team which obviously bodes well for our style of attack. It's also exasperated by limited live contact this preseason. They can cover (wondering if GWilliams plays though) and rush the passer. Their defense is built to play with the lead. So this game could look a lot like the 2019 Ravens if we get up early.

I could also see the Ravens wanting to make a statement and giving future opponents something else to think about. Specifically, different formations and play calling. For instance, I'd be stoked to see us go 4 wide for an entire drive; calling only passing plays and ending with a TD. We're confident we can be effective with last year's formula to beat most teams. Personally I'd love to see us control a game with Lamar throwing 35-40 times because we want to, not because we're trailing.The oh s*** factor would be tremendous.

Quick Hits response:

Jordan makes a great point on rookies. Where I disagree with him is on the rookie WRs. I think we will use them more than most do and they'll integrate quickly. Duvernay will get YAC opportunities and I'm a Proche fanboy. He's more polished than Boykin will probably ever be imo.

I don't have a problem with designed QB runs as long as they're not trap plays in which Lamar goes between the Tackles if he keeps it. Let him dash towards the sideline and he is safer there than anywhere else on the field, including the pocket. It's the easiest 7-10 yards in football.

Agreed that Tackle depth is an issue. It probably always will be unless we get lucky in the draft or use an early pick for a guy to be a backup. Hopefully if an injury occurs, Stanley or Zeus can do their thing at LT and Lamar can see any problems coming from RT which is in his line of vision.

#6 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

I'd love to see more of Proche and Duvernay. I've said this with Gabe over the summer on our Podcast, The Bank, I would really want to see Baltimore spread out wide, run 3-4 receiver sets, go 5-wide early in the year. Show the league a whole different team and approach, let the team get comfortable in that format and then start to work the running stuff in. Either later in the game or later in the year. 

Now that's not really Harb's style, but I think Baltimore needs to be a little more comfortable chasing big leads and passing across the board and the regular season can allow for that. Now, if they can stretch the field but stay in power sets, build it on play action and really maximize some deep shots and one on one's, look out...this team will literally be unstoppable on offense. 

End of the day, get more Lamar more looks against more complex defenses, let him put it on tape, coach him up and let him develop that way. Do that for a bit and then go back to what you were doing before. That'd be my strategy. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

Teams with new coaches or a lot of player turnover are at a disadvantage because of the lack of off season practices and preseason.  The Browns have a whole new system in place.  They will be better than last year at some point, but not immediately.  Getting them in the opener is a benefit.  Ravens return just about everyone with the same system, they should roll.   Baltimore 34  Cleveland 13

#8 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

I don't have a problem with designed QB runs as long as they're not trap plays in which Lamar goes between the Tackles if he keeps it. Let him dash towards the sideline and he is safer there than anywhere else on the field, including the pocket. It's the easiest 7-10 yards in football.

This was the one real head scratcher for me last year. Why run Lamar between the tackles with Ingram and Edwards available? The risk was usually not worth the reward.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#9 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Ravens 34-20.

Browns get a garbage time touchdown.

Lamar will have big day.

Mayfield will throw a pick six because he sucks.
  • dorfmac likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

Good stuff.  Tackle and TE are the positions that worry me.

All games worry me, and I think this one will be close,  I think the team that generates the best energy, will win.  27-20 Ravens.  I hope.

@mikeghg

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

This was the one real head scratcher for me last year. Why run Lamar between the tackles with Ingram and Edwards available? The risk was usually not worth the reward.

Yeah, I don't like seeing that either but it did give them that TD in Seattle on 4th down. 

#12 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

I'm anticipating a pretty sloppy 1st half from both teams as they try to shake off the rust from a very limited preseason.  And unless the Ravens can tap into their inner feelings of being at M&T Bank, they're won't be much of a home field advantage.  I like the Ravens going away with Cleveland turning the ball over a few times with a late one costing them the game.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any blow out.   BALTIMORE 24; CLEVELAND 16.  

#13 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

I'm not too worried about the Ravens defense, but the run D it is something to monitor. The secondary looked fantastic and that is what really matters in the NFL these days.

I think the DL had some nice push at times, especially when Campbell and Wolfe were in there. LBs are learning on the job, but there was a lot to like.

@gabefergy

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:23 PM

Interesting to see if they sign any vets this week.

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:23 AM

I'm not too worried about the Ravens defense, but the run D it is something to monitor. The secondary looked fantastic and that is what really matters in the NFL these days.

I think the DL had some nice push at times, especially when Campbell and Wolfe were in there. LBs are learning on the job, but there was a lot to like.

There was some poor tackling early in the game but they started to clean that up as the game progressed.  Without much contact in camp, that was to be expected. 

#16 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

They was some poor tackling early in the game but they started to clean that up as the game progressed.  Without much contact in camp, that was to be expected. 

29 yard came from Calais Campbell being mixed up on a switch. 

Look at this photo and then ask yourself, was the run to Campbell's side? Indeed it was. 

https://twitter.com/...313493898285056

4.4 YPC for Cleveland's RBs without those runs isn't great, but they are a talented combo. If that's sub-4 for non-elite teams on the year, I'll be more than happy. 

#17 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:50 AM

38-10 Ravens

Man you were damn close.

• Mike in STL likes this

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:56 AM

29 yard came from Calais Campbell being mixed up on a switch. 

Look at this photo and then ask yourself, was the run to Campbell's side? Indeed it was. 

https://twitter.com/...313493898285056

4.4 YPC for Cleveland's RBs without those runs isn't great, but they are a talented combo. If that's sub-4 for non-elite teams on the year, I'll be more than happy. 

I think we can expect a few of these things until the defense works out the kinks.  I thought after the first Q, we did okay against the run.  

The Ravens scoring made the Browns one dimensional and as usual Mayfield was not up to the task.

Week 1 is a success, let's go beat the Texans.

@mikeghg

#19 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

Agreed, I'm still diving into the game film on both sides for an article tomorrow. But it appears to me that the Ravens kept it close to the chest. 

#20 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

38-10 Ravens

Impressive prediction and if the Browns had a better kicker possibly spot on.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DaKittenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=