The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:24 PM

Collider: https://collider.com...l-bob-waksberg/

I feel like we've discussed Bojack here, but...

...and I mean this sincerely...

...it's one of the best TV shows of the past 20 years. That sounds like incredibly high praise, but it's definitely the best animated show (like barely one step ahead of The Boondocks), and definitely in the top of the second tier juuuuust below the normal pantheon of shows (The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Curb, etc...)

Worth binge-watching. Strong, STRONG recommend.

#3 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:29 PM

Also, The View From Halfway Down MIGHT be the best episode of the series, but only if you watch all of the other episodes in front of it, in order.

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:33 AM

I feel like we've discussed Bojack here, but...

...and I mean this sincerely...

...it's one of the best TV shows of the past 20 years. That sounds like incredibly high praise, but it's definitely the best animated show (like barely one step ahead of The Boondocks), and definitely in the top of the second tier juuuuust below the normal pantheon of shows (The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Curb, etc...)

Worth binge-watching. Strong, STRONG recommend.

Hmmm, not saying your wrong, but I'm not sure if your right either. Imo of course.

Love Bojack, and maybe it is the best animated show of the time period, but I think there's some strong competition from some other shows. I'd throw Rick and Morty, Big Mouth, and Archer into consideration.

Either way, animated shows do get short shrift when discussing the best shows, and I agree that shouldn't be the case. Bojack is probably the closest to non animated prestige television out of the animated shows I've seen.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

Bojack balances being very funny and silly with being incredibly dark and thought-provoking (or maybe more accurately, despair-provoking) better than any show I've ever seen.  I also think it is the least sympathetic towards it's main character of any of the "anti-hero" shows.

#6 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

Hmmm, not saying your wrong, but I'm not sure if your right either. Imo of course.

Love Bojack, and maybe it is the best animated show of the time period, but I think there's some strong competition from some other shows. I'd throw Rick and Morty, Big Mouth, and Archer into consideration.

Either way, animated shows do get short shrift when discussing the best shows, and I agree that shouldn't be the case. Bojack is probably the closest to non animated prestige television out of the animated shows I've seen.

I've never watched Archer fully yet, but I've watched the others, and I love R&M and Big Mouth. I think seeing Bojack conclude, and absolutely stick the landing, puts it a leg up for me. Whenever R&M ends, I may change my opinion, because that is a brilliantly well-written show. Total Rickall might be a top twenty-five episode of any show, ever. Bojack has nothing that's THAT high (Though Free Churro and The View From Halfway Down are both incredible episodes), but it's consistently good, every episode.

#7 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

Bojack balances being very funny and silly with being incredibly dark and thought-provoking (or maybe more accurately, despair-provoking) better than any show I've ever seen.  I also think it is the least sympathetic towards it's main character of any of the "anti-hero" shows.

I think (just because Weber brought it up) Rick gets less sympathy. Bojack gets quite a bit of sympathy when his upbringing is brought up, as well as his situation re: Horsin' Around. It's just offset by people telling him that personal responsibility rules the day as the reason for his crappiness. I think they're a lot more open with Bojack with saying, "What happened to you sucks, but you, specifically, are the problem," but you still care that the crap happened.

Rick is just...he's alienated because he's brilliant, and he's a piece of crap. A -little- less sympathy than, say, Dr House, who at least showed true feelings/heartbreak toward the people he treated like crap, when things went wrong for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=