#261 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

Brought up by a Duke fan, just so we're clear. Trust me, that is the only focus right now from Terps fans I know.

Well, I asked and some of you ran with the idea that he must go..so clearly, winning isn’t your only focus.

#262 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:10 AM

I respect anyone who wants to enjoy the present and see what the rest of the season brings. That said, the next few years look suspect on paper. We'll lose our 2 All Conference players, there likely will be multiple transfers, and we're staring at two consecutive classes with little to no impact players. '19 is essentially only Scott, and right now we only have two(non top 150 ranked) recruits in the '20 class.

#263 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

I respect anyone who wants to enjoy the present and see what the rest of the season brings. That said, the next few years look suspect on paper. We'll lose our 2 All Conference players, there likely will be multiple transfers, and we're staring at two consecutive classes with very little impact players. '19 is essentially only Scott, and right now we only have two(non top 100 ranked) recruits in the '20 class.

Just another reason why they have to maximize the rest of this year.  Need banners (regular season, BTT, deep NCAAT run) to capitalize, and turn some heads in the '21 class. 

#264 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

JMO, we are debating whether Turgeon should be let go.  At this point it is a non issue.  He is not going anywhere, and IMO, at this point, he is getting the job done.  I don't like his style and I have said, I think he is average to slightly better, but he has made some adjustments this year, and his team is playing well.

He has been credited by the university officials with being important in working to get the new BBall facilities built, seems to be a likeable guy and has conducted himself in a professional manner since he got here.

He is not going anywhere unless he leaves on his own.

@mikeghg

#265 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

JMO, we are debating whether Turgeon should be let go. At this point it is a non issue. He is not going anywhere, and IMO, at this point, he is getting the job done. I don't like his style and I have said, I think he is average to slightly better, but he has made some adjustments this year, and his team is playing well.
He has been credited by the university officials with being important in working to get the new BBall facilities built, seems to be a likeable guy and has conducted himself in a professional manner since he got here.
He is not going anywhere unless he leaves on his own.

Understandable take but another early NCAA exit and the heat is right back on him considering how the next few years look on paper and an inability to get past the Round of 32 unless he plays double digit seeds.

#266 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Understandable take but another early NCAA exit and the heat is right back on him considering how the next few years look on paper and an inability to get past the Round of 32 unless he plays double digit seeds.

If Maryland doesn't make the second weekend this year, Mark Turgeon will have the same number of Tournament and Sweet Sixteen appearances in his nine years as Gary Williams in his last nine years (5 and 1).

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#267 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

If Maryland doesn't make the second weekend this year, Mark Turgeon will have the same number of Tournament and Sweet Sixteen appearances in his nine years as Gary Williams in his last nine years (5 and 1).

And Garys last 9 years were unacceptable IMO.

#268 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

I understand, but IMO, the school is happy with Turgeon.  I think it is far more likely, that he finds another opportunity, than he gets let go.

I really believe that some, including a few here are not enjoying this year, because they don't want Turgeon to have success and stay.    For what seems to be a good guy, he certainly has his share of enemies.

As for the tourney short comings, absolutely agree, that it needs to be overcome, but even if they get knocked out in round one, I don't think he goes anywhere.

• SBTarheel likes this
@mikeghg

#269 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

The AD wanted to fire Gary towards the end of that 9-year run of mediocre results, but the boosters wouldn't let her. Of course that the two of them hated each other's guts probably had as much to do with that as the results....and as far as I know Turgeon hasn't made any enemies at UM.

#270 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Since the Terps have gotten over their midseason stumble (even if there were still wins, the performance was bad), there is no possibility that Turgeon is let go after the year.  It was unlikely at best even if that had continued and the season unraveled, mainly for financial reasons.  But having gotten the team back to playing well, even if there is a disappointing finish there is no chance he's fired.  Zero.

That's different than continuing the conversation about whether Turgeon is the guy to get the Terps where we wanna go.  If he doesn't have a good Big Ten tourney and NCAA tourney run, then those questions will remain (they'll remain for many even if we do fairly well).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#271 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Heat will be on from fans, and rightfully so, but he has complete job security at this point and no outcome over the remainder of this season can change that, IMO.

#272 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

Since the Terps have gotten over their midseason stumble (even if there were still wins, the performance was bad), there is no possibility that Turgeon is let go after the year. It was unlikely at best even if that had continued and the season unraveled, mainly for financial reasons. But having gotten the team back to playing well, even if there is a disappointing finish there is no chance he's fired. Zero.

That's different than continuing the conversation about whether Turgeon is the guy to get the Terps where we wanna go. If he doesn't have a good Big Ten tourney and NCAA tourney run, then those questions will remain (they'll remain for many even if we do fairly well).

I almost feel like even if Turgeon wins the NCAA tournament, the second he has a down year his detractors will be in full force calling for his head. While I think there is merit to his detractors' points, I feel like, because many people don't like his play style, they want him gone regardless of the success he has.

If we win the BTT but exit early in the NCAA, I feel like the Maryland fanbase's brains will collectively explode.
  • Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=