#41 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

Young was one of the 20 finalists.

I do respect Brees a lot...(his numbers demand it)...but do think it has to be factored that his home games have always been in favorable conditions and the benefits of playing in this era (rules + proliferation of passing offenses).

If someone has him in their inner circle elite, I get it. Numbers back it. IMO he's in that next group.

You're right. I missed that one.

#42 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

Current players who should be on this list:

Brady
Fitzgerald
AP

Guys who will eventually be on this list:

Donald
Nelson
Tucker

Borderline calls:

Rodgers
Brees
Yanda
Sherman
Ben

I’m sure I’m missing some guys.

I'd argue Tucker should already be on the list because he's the most accurate kicker in NFL history and it's not particularly close. Either Brees or Rodgers would be on my list over John Elway. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#43 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:43 AM

Young was one of the 20 finalists.

I do respect Brees a lot...(his numbers demand it)...but do think it has to be factored that his home games have always been in favorable conditions and the benefits of playing in this era (rules + proliferation of passing offenses).

If someone has him in their inner circle elite, I get it. Numbers back it. IMO he's in that next group.

Just to play devil's advocate, you could say the same thing about Peyton Manning.

@BaltimoreDavey

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

Just to play devil's advocate, you could say the same thing about Peyton Manning.

Sure. Definitely in-terms of numbers. I feel Manning was better, but that's just a feeling.
  • FlavaDave10 likes this

#45 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:02 AM

Sure. Definitely in-terms of numbers. I feel Manning was better, but that's just a feeling.

Yeah, Manning's definitely better and he deserved to be on the list. I'm just saying, if you're going to penalize Brees for playing in a dome for at least 8 games a year, why not do it with Manning?

@BaltimoreDavey

#46 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

Snubs:

QB - 2 of Brees, Rodgers, and Steve Young. Remove Elway and Staubach. 

RB - AP and Tomlinson over Motley and Clark. Van Buren was arguably the 2nd best NFL player before 1950. 

WR - Calvin Johnson over Elroy Hirsch.

TE - Sharpe or Gates over Winslow. You could argue Gronk, but when he was healthy, I've never seen a tight end so impossible to guard.

OL - Honestly won't even try because it's hard enough to judge offensive linemen today. Doing so across eras is next to impossible. But I would have liked to see one "modern" center on the list. Maybe Bruce Matthews?

DE - Julius Peppers or DeMarcus Ware over Hewitt. I'd lean towards Peppers because he changed the way people viewed pass rushers.

DT - My hot take: Aaron Donald should already be on the list. He already has as many 1st team All-Pro appearances (4) as Joe Greene and Buck Buchanan and Donald's only been in the league for 6 years.

LB - Mike Singletary not being on the list is ludicrous. Put him on it over Hendricks or Lanier.

CB - I would have put Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, or Richard Sherman on the list over Mike Haynes, but I have no issues with Haynes being on the list. 

S - They did it perfectly. 

K - I understand going with Vin over Tucker, given Vin's incredible career. But if you're going to go with an older kicker, why go with Stenerud over Lou Groza?

P - Lechler and Guy were the right two guys to have.

Returner - Billy Johnson was an odd selection. Jack Christiansen would have been a much better choice. First really great returner.

Coaches - As others have noted, Noll's teams were quite mediocre when he didn't have Greene and Jack Lambert. I'd take him off the list and put either John Madden or Bill Parcells on it. 

• Mike in STL likes this

@BaltimoreDavey

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:22 AM

Snubs:

QB - 2 of Brees, Rodgers, and Steve Young. Remove Elway and Staubach. 

RB - AP and Tomlinson over Motley and Clark. Van Buren was arguably the 2nd best NFL player before 1950. 

WR - Calvin Johnson over Elroy Hirsch.

TE - Sharpe or Gates over Winslow. You could argue Gronk, but when he was healthy, I've never seen a tight end so impossible to guard.

OL - Honestly won't even try because it's hard enough to judge offensive linemen today. Doing so across eras is next to impossible. But I would have liked to see one "modern" center on the list. Maybe Bruce Matthews?

DE - Julius Peppers or DeMarcus Ware over Hewitt. I'd lean towards Peppers because he changed the way people viewed pass rushers.

DT - My hot take: Aaron Donald should already be on the list. He already has as many 1st team All-Pro appearances (4) as Joe Greene and Buck Buchanan and Donald's only been in the league for 6 years.

LB - Mike Singletary not being on the list is ludicrous. Put him on it over Hendricks or Lanier.

CB - I would have put Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, or Richard Sherman on the list over Mike Haynes, but I have no issues with Haynes being on the list. 

S - They did it perfectly. 

K - I understand going with Vin over Tucker, given Vin's incredible career. But if you're going to go with an older kicker, why go with Stenerud over Lou Groza?

P - Lechler and Guy were the right two guys to have.

Returner - Billy Johnson was an odd selection. Jack Christiansen would have been a much better choice. First really great returner.

Coaches - As others have noted, Noll's teams were quite mediocre when he didn't have Greene and Jack Lambert. I'd take him off the list and put either John Madden or Bill Parcells on it. 

I really enjoyed the series,  To get it down to 100, and to include many of the old timers, had to be a tough task.  

Just a few thoughts,  Willie Lanier and the Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks were terrific players.  Singletary, was a great player, but so were others.  I had no issue, with them over Singletary.

I was surprised Gates did not make it, but again, really hard to get to the final numbers.

I would have taken Brees over Roger Staubach, but think Elway was better than Young.  And to this day, I still dislike Elway.

I 100A% agree that there were better choices than Noll.  I would have probably gone with Parcells.

@mikeghg

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

I thought about Elway, but I think he belongs, even though I hate him. Staubach has no place and I would have been fine with Brees or Young there. Staubach seemed like a Belichick influenced pick (Navy).

AP, Tomlinson, Megatron could have been on, but it seems like being on the 75th anniversary team was a prerequisite which left little room for this generation.

Kellen Winslow might be the worst pick. If he doesn't have the NFL Films clip of him being helped off the field, he's got nothing. Sharpe, Gates, Witten just a few that could go over him.

@BSLMikeRandall

#49 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

I really enjoyed the series,  To get it down to 100, and to include many of the old timers, had to be a tough task.  

Just a few thoughts,  Willie Lanier and the Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks were terrific players.  Singletary, was a great player, but so were others.  I had no issue, with them over Singletary.

I was surprised Gates did not make it, but again, really hard to get to the final numbers.

I would have taken Brees over Roger Staubach, but think Elway was better than Young.  And to this day, I still dislike Elway.

I 100A% agree that there were better choices than Noll.  I would have probably gone with Parcells.

I get what the NFL did by including players from all eras, but I wish they would have included some more modern players. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#50 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

I thought about Elway, but I think he belongs, even though I hate him. Staubach has no place and I would have been fine with Brees or Young there. Staubach seemed like a Belichick influenced pick (Navy).

AP, Tomlinson, Megatron could have been on, but it seems like being on the 75th anniversary team was a prerequisite which left little room for this generation.

Kellen Winslow might be the worst pick. If he doesn't have the NFL Films clip of him being helped off the field, he's got nothing. Sharpe, Gates, Witten just a few that could go over him.

Winslow was a baffling pick. So many better options.

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=