11 replies to this topic

#1 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

It's short, but it's sweet. Gilman's coach talking about his school's relationship with Maryland and Edsall.

http://www.washingto... ... _blog.html

“I think the biggest thing for the University of Maryland is time,” Poggi said. “Don’t be impatient with this guy. Everybody’s coming into Maryland to get talent. Be patient, because those kids won’t leave in two or three years. Nobody’s going to be able to come in and get them. Nobody. Let this guy develop his system. Give him five years. When you do, Maryland is going to be dynamite.

“The Maryland people ought to be thrilled. If they do something stupid, like if they’re 4-8 and they panic, it will set everything back with the state kids.”

I don't mean to keep re-hashing the Edsall argument. Really. I know no one is going to change their minds at this point.

But this is exactly what I have been saying. Edsall is a builder. He spent much of last year working hard, trying to lay the groundwork and build relationships with local coaches and schools. He has a long-term view in mind. This is what he does.

You can make the case that burning the team to the ground wasn't necessary, and while I do not agree, I can understand that argument. But what's done is done. Time to move forward and show some support for this program.
  • BSLChrisStoner and mdak06 like this

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Couldn't they have interviewed a different coach though? I mean, these comments are rather ironic considering the guy's own son is a Top 100 recruit who chose Michigan. Sort of defeats the point he's trying to make.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've strongly support the program, just can't stand Edsall. I hope he can continue to bring in good players and build Maryland into a winner, but I just am not very confident in his competency. It'll be really interesting to see what the perception of him evolves into if the program is successful, though. He was so thoroughly obnoxious last year that I think it's going to be tough for many fans to ever truly like or respect him, even if the program becomes successful.

#4 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Couldn't they have interviewed a different coach though? I mean, these comments are rather ironic considering the guy's own son is a Top 100 recruit who chose Michigan. Sort of defeats the point he's trying to make.

I think the point is that Gilman, which produces some of the best prospects in the state, hasn't been sending anyone to Maryland in a while ... and now they are. That's really significant for UMD. They hadn't had a Gilman commitment since what, the 80s?

But this is exactly what I have been saying. Edsall is a builder. He spent much of last year working hard, trying to lay the groundwork and build relationships with local coaches and schools. He has a long-term view in mind. This is what he does.

I agree ... I think Edsall has done a lot of hard work building relationships with the high school coaches in Baltimore, across the state, DC, etc. and is doing well. That's obviously not going to translate to instant success, but what it does is build the foundation that the program needs - pipelines into local schools filled with talent.

There's no way they'll ever get everyone. Some kids just want to leave home. Some will have dreamed of playing in the Big Ten or SEC. But many talented kids will love playing for their home state school in front of friends and family, and those are the kids that Maryland needs to get, and those are the kids that Edsall (as well as Locksely and the rest of 'em) are trying to bring to College Park. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll keep up with more recruiting success and that will translate to more on-the-field success in the future.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think the point is that Gilman, which produces some of the best prospects in the state, hasn't been sending anyone to Maryland in a while ... and now they are. That's really significant for UMD. They hadn't had a Gilman commitment since what, the 80s?

I know they've gotten a couple Gilman guys now. And my comment wasn't meant to imply that Edsall & Co haven't done better locally than before. It's just that Poggi's praise of MD rings hollow with me when his own kid didn't even seriously consider going there. Nothing wrong with that....it's the kid's choice and Michigan is a great program with lots of tradition. Just makes his dad's words drip with irony.

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

It's short, but it's sweet. Gilman's coach talking about his school's relationship with Maryland and Edsall.

http://www.washingto... ... _blog.html

I don't mean to keep re-hashing the Edsall argument. Really. I know no one is going to change their minds at this point.

You can make the case that burning the team to the ground wasn't necessary, and while I do not agree, I can understand that argument. But what's done is done. Time to move forward and show some support for this program.

The problem is, like you said, they didn't NEED a builder. At worst, the program needed a renovation, not to be torn completely apart. They should have gone with someone who would maintain what was already in place, while working harder at things like in-state recruiting. Like Turgeon on the basketball side.

It's like they decided to renovate Byrd Stadium, then hired an architect who walked in on his first day, drilled TNT into the supports and imploded the structure. They managed to clean out the pile of rubble, but it is still a long way off until a team can play there again.

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

The problem is, like you said, they didn't NEED a builder. At worst, the program needed a renovation, not to be torn completely apart. They should have gone with someone who would maintain what was already in place, while working harder at things like in-state recruiting. Like Turgeon on the basketball side.

It's like they decided to renovate Byrd Stadium, then hired an architect who walked in on his first day, drilled TNT into the supports and imploded the structure. They managed to clean out the pile of rubble, but it is still a long way off until a team can play there again.

I did not say they didn't need a builder. I said that I understand that opinion and why some would think that. It is not an opinion that I agree with, but I can see why people would believe that.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

I did not say they didn't need a builder.

I know, I worded that poorly.

#9 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

EDIT - You know what, never mind. I said I didn't want to re-hash the arguments, and I legitmately mean that.

Let's move forward. Go Terps!

#10 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

I know, I worded that poorly.

Fair enough. Like I said, no one's mind is going to be changed at this point, we've all made these points before. I'm just saying, what's done is done. Let's move forward. There is excitement around the state about the Edsall tenure. Either that, or a lot of people are lying.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Fair enough. Like I said, no one's mind is going to be changed at this point, we've all made these points before. I'm just saying, what's done is done. Let's move forward. There is excitement around the state about the Edsall tenure. Either that, or a lot of people are lying.

Since excitement can have several different meanings, I'll just say that we agree :P

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I haven't followed the situation nearly as closely as many of you, but I do think Edsall needs time. I think we could probably all agree that Edsall the man is not the most likeable guy, but I need to see more of Edsall the football coach to know for sure. The first year when about as poorly as humanly possible, so he's definitely dug himself a bit of a hole. I'm not expecting many more wins this year, but hopefully the team remains competitive and we can see noticeable improvement as the year goes along.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=