• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

2-1 Maryland travels to Morgantown to face #9 West Virginia.
The 2-0 Mountaineers have beat Marshall (69-34), and James Madison (42-12).

West Virginia only beat Maryland by 6 last year in College Park, but competing in Morgantown will be difficult for the Terps.

These two teams have met 48 times previously, with WVU leading the series 45-41-2. Maryland beat WVU four times early in Friedgen's era - including the 2004 Gator Bowl - but West Virginia has won the last 6 meetings overall.

This game (along with Clemson and FSU) are the games I have believed Maryland had little to no chance of competing in. However, I want to believe the adage that 'Any given Saturday...'

I think Brian Stewart's defense has a chance to give Maryland a chance. You can tell Stewart spent time in the NFL, as his defense just looks more 'professional.' The fundamentals are much better, and as the health improves, the defense has looked better each week. That said, WVU's spread offense probably has the ability to make anyone but Alabama look silly at the College level.

I believe for Maryland to really have a chance, the Terps will have to be able to run the ball, and move the clock. I also think they would need a ST's or Defensive TD.

One thing that should help MD some, is that they have already experienced a road game. Hopefully there is no early 'shock and awe' at the WVU crowd, as MD has absolutely no chance if they quickly fall behind.

West Virginia Reading:

The Smoking Musket: http://www.smokingmusket.com/
The Charleston Gazette: http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

This has the potential to be a real blood bath.

Hoping for the best, but I expect WVU to win this by 20+.

@AdamWolff

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

This has the potential to be a real blood bath.

Hoping for the best, but I expect WVU to win this by 20+.

Wouldn't shock me at all.

I wonder if WVU ends this series when the contract expires considering they have a much tougher schedule in the Big 12 than they did in the Big East? I recall there being some chatter about that. Financially speaking this series, especially seeing how MD priced this game last year, this game means a lot more to the Terps than WVU.
@levineps

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Can't see the Terps keeping this within 30. They looked awful last weekend, was my first chance to see them play after being out of the country for the first two games.

Stefon Diggs is incredible, though. Gonna be real fun to watch him play for at least the next 3 seasons.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Can't see the Terps keeping this within 30. They looked awful last weekend, was my first chance to see them play after being out of the country for the first two games.

Stefon Diggs is incredible, though. Gonna be real fun to watch him play for at least the next 3 seasons.

You didn't miss much, they didn't look sharp in either of those first two games despite wins, although they put up a pretty impressive first half against Temple.
@levineps

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

I just hope our coach next year keeps Locksley around and adapts an offense and players around Diggs to help make this offense perform to it's potential.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I just hope our coach next year keeps Locksley around and adapts an offense and players around Diggs to help make this offense perform to it's potential.

Our coach next year is going to be Edsall unless the boosters pony up. He's still owed $6 million after this year. So not only will you have to pay this, you'll have to pay another head coach's salary(and staff since some members are on multi-year deals) as well.

Next point, if a new head coach does happen, that person should be allowed to retain(or not retain) the staff as they see fit. If you aren't going to give them free reign to do as they please, the position is a lot less attractive and compared to other BCS jobs, it's not.
@levineps

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Our coach next year is going to be Edsall unless the boosters pony up. He's still owed $6 million after this year. So not only will you have to pay this, you'll have to pay another head coach's salary(and staff since some members are on multi-year deals) as well.

Next point, if a new head coach does happen, that person should be allowed to retain(or not retain) the staff as they see fit. If you aren't going to give them free reign to do as they please, the position is a lot less attractive and compared to other BCS jobs, it's not.

I agree the coach should be able to make staffing decisions... I just hope he keeps Locksley. That's my preference, that's all I'm saying.

If Edsall is here next year, the Terps will basically be squandering one of the better skill position guys we've had in a while. He needs to go, like yesterday. I realize the reasons why it may not, but it should.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

I agree the coach should be able to make staffing decisions... I just hope he keeps Locksley. That's my preference, that's all I'm saying.

If Edsall is here next year, the Terps will basically be squandering one of the better skill position guys we've had in a while. He needs to go, like yesterday. I realize the reasons why it may not, but it should.

I think you gotta give Edsall a chance, let's how the rest of the year works out. You can't just hire/fire guys every few years. If the next guy starts out 2-10(or similar), what do you then, pay 3 coaches(and staffs) at the same time?
@levineps

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

I think you gotta give Edsall a chance, let's how the rest of the year works out. You can't just hire/fire guys every few years. If the next guy starts out 2-10(or similar), what do you then, pay 3 coaches(and staffs) at the same time?

Edsall is horrendous, he has been since day 1. No sense at all in trying to "give him a chance" and just delay the inevitable. Even if he performed better than expected this year, it'd be a fluke, not a sign of things to come. He is an awful coach, and an even worse program manager. He needs to go.

If the next coach that comes in goes 2-10 in year one, you give him a chance because hopefully he has a reputation and a track record of being a guy who can turn around programs and recruit well. It's not always just about the results early on in a tenure, but with Edsall, that's what's bothered me most... not that the results have been poor, but the way he's running this program has been awful too.

BTW - Sorry Chris for going off on a tangent here in the WVU thread, you can feel free to move these if you want. I think my frustration has boiled over a bit as I look at this game and know a blow out loss is coming. It sucks.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Edsall is horrendous, he has been since day 1. No sense at all in trying to "give him a chance" and just delay the inevitable. Even if he performed better than expected this year, it'd be a fluke, not a sign of things to come. He is an awful coach, and an even worse program manager. He needs to go.

If the next coach that comes in goes 2-10 in year one, you give him a chance because hopefully he has a reputation and a track record of being a guy who can turn around programs and recruit well. It's not always just about the results early on in a tenure, but with Edsall, that's what's bothered me most... not that the results have been poor, but the way he's running this program has been awful too.

BTW - Sorry Chris for going off on a tangent here in the WVU thread, you can feel free to move these if you want. I think my frustration has boiled over a bit as I look at this game and know a blow out loss is coming. It sucks.

No problem with the comments, though I don't agree. Not that I have seen enough to become a fan of Edsall, but I fully believe he is going to be here next year.

The only way he is replaced, is if MD loses the rest of the way, or maybe puts just 1 win on the board. I don't see that happening, so I see him returning.

As I said to All-Star on Saturday (and previously) I understand the dissatisfaction with Edsall, and his first year. It was as bad as could be, and most of the pain was off the field (which says something when you go 2-10).

However, I don't dismiss what Edsall achieved building the UConn program, I'm pleased with the Locksley and Stewart hires, and some of the young talent that can be built around.

Aside from this week at WVU, and vs. FSU and Clemson; I expect Maryland to be competitive each week the rest of the way. MD needs another good recruiting class. If those things are achieved, I can see Maryland being a Top 25 next year, and really begin to gather some steam as a program.

Based on where Maryland is financially, I don't believe the Terps would be better off collapsing again totally this year, firing Edsall, paying Edsall, and looking for another HC.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

All I'm saying is let's see how he does in ACC play. It's not like they are going to fire him in the next month regardless. In regards to the fluke, how can you call it that after two seasons? You need a bigger sample size. You don't hire a head coach to fire him after a few years. I think some need to be a bit more patient. Again, I'm not an Edsall fan that much, but you have to give him a chance. It's just not practical to hire/fire coaches after such a short period of time. I have no doubt if his replacement has similar results to him, then will be having the same debate after only 15 games (really it was much of last season).

And I'd say it's more results than what you are saying. Nobody cares if you're a jerk if you're a jerk that wins (see Nick Saban and Urban Meyer).
@levineps

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

If the next coach that comes in goes 2-10 in year one, you give him a chance because hopefully he has a reputation and a track record of being a guy who can turn around programs and recruit well.

You mean...like Edsall?

Wait, scratch that - he didn't turn the UCONN program around - he pretty much built it from scratch.

Just amazes me how little credit people give to him for that. He's a good coach. He's not some incompetent boob. You don't do what he did by being lucky and not knowing anything about football.

BTW - haven't seen it mentioned how UCONN's star linebacker the other day (Moore, was it?) found Edsall in the crowd post-game and thanked him for all he did for him while he was there. No, no one wants to talk about how Edsally really resonates with some players. Because that can't be true. All the players hate his guts.

Bah - anyway, don't want to start yet another Esdall argument. We're all pretty entrenched in our positions by this point.

Difficult to see MD maintaining contact with WV, unless our secondary makes major, major improvements.

Offensively I think they need to control the ball as much as possible. Stick with a power ground game as much as you can. MD's backfield is inexperienced, but they are talented and pretty deep. Give Brown the bulk of the carries, and rotate Pickett, Ross (who's supposed to be back) and Reid in liberally.

Diggs needs to get 10-15 touches on the offensive side alone. I do not care how you do it. What a star he looks to be already.

Hills probably should not throw more than 10-15 times. I'm not a big fan of manage-the-game QBs, but at this point, while I think he's talented and is trying hard, the game is clearly just too fast for him right now.
  • mdak06 likes this

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

No problem with the comments, though I don't agree. Not that I have seen enough to become a fan of Edsall, but I fully believe he is going to be here next year.

The only way he is replaced, is if MD loses the rest of the way, or maybe puts just 1 win on the board. I don't see that happening, so I see him returning.

As I said to All-Star on Saturday (and previously) I understand the dissatisfaction with Edsall, and his first year. It was as bad as could be, and most of the pain was off the field (which says something when you go 2-10).

However, I don't dismiss what Edsall achieved building the UConn program, I'm pleased with the Locksley and Stewart hires, and some of the young talent that can be built around.

Aside from this week at WVU, and vs. FSU and Clemson; I expect Maryland to be competitive each week the rest of the way. MD needs another good recruiting class. If those things are achieved, I can see Maryland being a Top 25 next year, and really begin to gather some steam as a program.

Based on where Maryland is financially, I don't believe the Terps would be better off collapsing again totally this year, firing Edsall, paying Edsall, and looking for another HC.

I agree with just about everything you said, if not everything. What I'd also add is that what does it say to other perspective coaches? It has to work out after 15 games or else?

KA clearly implied last year that Edsall isn't what he wanted, when he made reference to trying to get NFL guys but they didn't want to do the necessary fundraising. My point is I'm just not sure what is out there. I don't think this job is nearly as attractive as some think it is.
@levineps

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

BTW, I think I mentioned it in the UCONN thread, but this game would be really, really exciting if CJB were the QB. Trying to game plan to stop him, Wes Brown, and Stefon Diggs at the same time would not be fun, not to mention that MD does have some other lesser playmakers. What a shame that injury was.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Some fair and reasonable alternative view points by Chris, O85 and GD. Agree to disagree... but fully agree in that all I really hope is that this program gets going here shortly. I guess if we don't implode this year, and our recruiting class next year is strong, I'll be open minded enough to let this all go.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Some fair and reasonable alternative view points by Chris, O85 and GD. Agree to disagree... but fully agree in that all I really hope is that this program gets going here shortly. I guess if we don't implode this year, and our recruiting class next year is strong, I'll be open minded enough to let this all go.

And trust me, if MD shows little improvement for the rest of this season, and recruits end up de-committing because the program is showing no progress, then I'll also be open-minded and I'll join those calling for his dismissal.

I personally think we already have seen marked improvement from last year. The WF game 2 weeks from now will be interesting. It's difficult for me to see a game in which WV does not blow out MD - how will the team respond from that?

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

And trust me, if MD shows little improvement for the rest of this season, and recruits end up de-committing because the program is showing no progress, then I'll also be open-minded and I'll join those calling for his dismissal.

I personally think we already have seen marked improvement from last year. The WF game 2 weeks from now will be interesting. It's difficult for me to see a game in which WV does not blow out MD - how will the team respond from that?

The WF game should be a win, but I'm not going to judge any head coach on one result. Nonetheless, I'm very curious how they do like you.
@levineps

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hills probably should not throw more than 10-15 times. I'm not a big fan of manage-the-game QBs, but at this point, while I think he's talented and is trying hard, the game is clearly just too fast for him right now.

He needs to continue to run a bit. He is not Brown, but he has shown an ability to absorb contact and keep his legs moving.

Of course the Terps are probably justifiably a bit scared to have him running at all, and further risking him to injury.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Watch Wake this week vs. Army. After getting blown out vs. a national contender in FSU, how does Wake respond? I'm a big believer in Grobe, so I think you see them rebound with not only an expected win, but looking good doing so.

Wake at home is a game Maryland has to win though. What I'm already worried about, is wondering how many people will be in the stands, if Maryland is blown out this week vs. WVU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=