• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:55 PM

The Chiefs are 2-0, having beat Jacksonville 40-26, and the Raiders 28-10. 
Both games were on the road. 

Current Depth:

https://www.espn.com...depth/_/name/kc

KC beat Baltimore in OT last December.
https://www.espn.com...ameId/401030764

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

This is a game, that when the schedule was released, everyone marked down in the L column.

The offense has no doubt, exceeded expectations so far. Lamar's hard work all offseason has definitely paid off to this point. However this defense is still a question mark. They seem to be stout up front yet again, but the secondary lost way too many one on one battles today. Today they only lead to 3 pointers, but against KC those are TDs every single time. Carr and Jefferson will need to have their heads out of their asses next week. And Thomas can't disappear again. The true greats find a way to make an impact, even when the game plan is against them.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

The Ringer: The Chiefs, Ravens, and How Speedy Offenses Are Shaping Fantasy Football

The Ringer: Patrick Mahomes Looks Ready to Blow Last Season Out of the Water

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

Balt Sun: Preston: Just how good are the Ravens under Lamar Jackson? We’ll find out when they face the Chiefs.
https://www.baltimor...LroXu_uIIDNmjek

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Should have beaten them last year. Hopefully the improvement on our end and them losing Hill and Hunt is the difference.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

I am really excited for this game.  I think the Ravens are up against it, but my hope is they play a good game and I can accept what happens.

I think this team will get better as the year goes on, and I don't buy Preston's premise this game will define them.

@mikeghg

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:04 AM

Ravens are playing with house money this weekend.

Quite frankly, next week's game is more important than this one.

#8 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Your divisional home games will always be more important. But a road conference win is a huge tiebreaker if you don't win your division. 

I also don't think the Ravens think they are nearly the underdog the fans do in this game. I don't think they look at this as house money. And I think they'll be particularly upset if this game turns into a blowout and isn't close. 

I think we'll see something similar to last year's game in KC where it's close and comes down to the last possession for both teams. I'll be posting more about my early thoughts on this game in a bit. 

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Obviously the team and players feel that way.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

Jeff Z:

Marlon Humphrey said a lot of communication issues Sunday were his fault. “I had a few busts. Looked like it was the safety’s fault but a few of them were on me.”
  • Mike in STL likes this

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Obviously the team and players feel that way.

I think there is a difference between a team playing with house money wins against quality teams on the road and teams that legitimately can stick with KC. It's a bit of semantics but I view this with the team that we can go in and win doing what we would normally do. Not all out gadget, sell out for the win type stuff. I personally view those things differently. 

One of those reasons is that KC's defense is not just not good it's really bad still. From a yards per play perspective, they are 5th worst in the league giving up 6.7 per play (Ravens are 12th best at 5.4). They are giving up 6 YPC (Ravens allowing 1.8). And that's against the likes of Derek Carr and Greg Minshew. They are allowing a 46% 3rd down conversion rate (Ravens allowing 24%). They posted those numbers against Jacksonville with Foles going out and Oakland. That's a putrid performance by any stretch. 

Comparatively, the Ravens defense may also have faced terrible offenses but fared much better. And the Cards tied the Lions who beat the Chargers and completely shut down their offense. I think the Cards offense is going to be looked back upon as much better by the end of the year than the "the worst team in the NFL" from the prior year. They are going to post big plays and yards on a lot of teams this year, IMO. 

I think the Ravens, not only feel and but have, a huge advantage of their offense vs the Chiefs defense. Ultimately the question is, which Ravens defense shows up. The concern is the Chiefs are still going to go 3+ wide and Mahomes can move, so do we see more zone and have we cleaned that up. In a very odd way, this game is great that it's on the road. Our defense seemed to have some communications issues, and so some quiet on defense probably isn't a bad thing at this stage of the coordination. 

Wink needs to be preaching to keep plays in front of guys. On the rubs and confusion routes, we need to stay back. Let Mahomes and company take the shorter plays. Make them beat you over the full length of the field and don't give up the big play. Alternately, the Ravens have an offense that can get loose for a big play, too and it seems like KC is much more prone to giving them up. 

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

It is, but based on the remarks from Lamar, I think he and the team want this game.  I like the attitude.   Go Get it.

@mikeghg

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

Sounds like Damien Williams is going to be out this week and McCoy could miss the game too.

#14 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

Fisher is out, too. No? So Hill, Fisher, McCoy, and Williams all could miss this game. Feels ripe for the taking...

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

Fisher is out but doesn’t he suck anyway?

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:40 PM

Fisher is out but doesn’t he suck anyway?

Fisher actually developed into an above average player.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

Fisher actually developed into an above average player.

He developed into a good guard or right tackle.

He had been shit at LT.

In fact, Cam Irving (his replacement) had more starts at LT last year than he did.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

Earl Thomas on Kansas City's ability to stretch the field: "I think that comes down to personnel. Luckily, the #Ravens have me playing free safety, controlling the deep end. I plan on eliminating all the big plays."

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Earl Thomas on Kansas City's ability to stretch the field: "I think that comes down to personnel. Luckily, the #Ravens have me playing free safety, controlling the deep end. I plan on eliminating all the big plays."

Big words.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

Big words.

Especially after a game where he seemingly did nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users