• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

I also want one of those 800 MPH Japanese magnetized trains that can put people in NYC in an hour.

I want this...
http://www.baltimore...erloop-concept/

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

The Sun posted an Editorial mentioning how now (after the riots and destruction) more than ever Baltimore needs the Red Line and the economic benefits that would come from it.

At the very least I'd like to believe that it would push down some of the "rob 'n' ride" talk. But considering the people I know who talk like that...probably not.

@DJ_McCann

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

I'd love to see one massive Metro connection DC and BMore.  Imagine getting on a Metro train in Bel Air and, an hour or so later, getting dropped off at Verizon Center?

I'd just like to be able to get on a Metro train in Bel Air and get to Camden Yards in an hour or so. I would use that all the damn time.

@DJ_McCann

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

We probably have better odds of being teleported between Balt/DC someday than we do of a maglev or hyperloop getting built.

#25 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Supposedly Hogan has a press conference scheduled for this afternoon in regards to a final decision being made for both the Red Line and the Purple Line.

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

Supposedly Hogan has a press conference scheduled for this afternoon in regards to a final decision being made for both the Red Line and the Purple Line.

Well if he's going to pursue MAGLEV these projects are as good as dead.

BUT, millions and millions of dollars have already been spent to research and plan both lines so it would be a huge waste of money to kill them now.

It'll be interesting to see what he says.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

I hope the redline passes and the purple line. There is also discussion about expanding trains to Delaware which would then hook up with the Septa and allow people to get to Philly. I feel like that the MTA is not as well developed and not as well managed as public transit in other cities but it's not terrible. I love the concept of the Quick Bus and the Commuter Bus. The Light Rail is slow in the city proper area but is almost always clean and is a really convenient alternative to driving and parking to BWI. Anytime I have to go north to Lutherville for physical therapy and its game day, no way am I driving and getting stuck in traffic with all the other people who refused to take the Light Rail. I think the busses are decent and the Light Rail is good in its one dimensional way. Most people complain that they don't like the Light Rail because there's only one track. Just means we need more trains. Also it would be cool if more trains went to DC. It's not cool that the there's only like 4 that leave from Camden Yards station and they leave in the way early AM or the evening. #moretrains.
  • DuffMan likes this

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

Well if he's going to pursue MAGLEV these projects are as good as dead.

BUT, millions and millions of dollars have already been spent to research and plan both lines so it would be a huge waste of money to kill them now.

It'll be interesting to see what he says.

Maglev is a pipe dream, I could only get on board with it if it were to be installed throughout the whole I95 corridor which will never happen.  The red and purple line are the only realistic opportunities the area has of improving mass transit in the foreseeable future.  

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

I hope the redline passes and the purple line. There is also discussion about expanding trains to Delaware which would then hook up with the Septa and allow people to get to Philly. I feel like that the MTA is not as well developed and not as well managed as public transit in other cities but it's not terrible. I love the concept of the Quick Bus and the Commuter Bus. The Light Rail is slow in the city proper area but is almost always clean and is a really convenient alternative to driving and parking to BWI. Anytime I have to go north to Lutherville for physical therapy and its game day, no way am I driving and getting stuck in traffic with all the other people who refused to take the Light Rail. I think the busses are decent and the Light Rail is good in its one dimensional way. Most people complain that they don't like the Light Rail because there's only one track. Just means we need more trains. Also it would be cool if more trains went to DC. It's not cool that the there's only like 4 that leave from Camden Yards station and they leave in the way early AM or the evening. #moretrains.

When they built the LR they were in such a hurry to do it that they single tracked a lot of it. If that is what you;re getting at, it's not that way anymore, it was double tracked for its entire length years ago.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Red Line:  No

Purple Line : Yes

$1B tunnel is Baltimore was the sticking point for the Red Line.

http://www.baltimore...0624-story.html

#31 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Red Line:  No

Purple Line : Yes

$1B tunnel is Baltimore was the sticking point for the Red Line.

http://www.baltimore...0624-story.html

He's cutting the state portion of the cost from $700M to $168M. Gonna be hard to find another $532M.

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

Well this is disappointing to say the least. The RL wasn't perfect, would have probably cost an extra $1B when it was all said and done but it was the only way we were ever going to get another transit line in this city. To add insult to injury, the DC burbs are getting another line, where there is already plenty of transit options -- all of which are better than what exist here.

No consolation prizes. All that money spent -- gone. Nothing to show for it. This state has a big fucking problem spending money and getting dick for it. I-70 was supposed to connect to downtown. They razed a major part of the city, moved people into project buildings, relocated others, spent millions building a highway to nowhere -- all because whites didn't want some trees cut down in a park that is famous for being a dumping ground for dead bodies. 

Hogan clearly doesnt want anything to do with Baltimore, which is a shame. The leadership of the city is partly to blame -- I mean they're the definition of doing the same thing and expecting different results, but still -- Hogan had a chance to win over some people in the city, to really endear himself to the city and create tons of jobs and he just blew it. He's going to be on the street in 2018.

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Well this is disappointing to say the least. The RL wasn't perfect, would have probably cost an extra $1B when it was all said and done but it was the only way we were ever going to get another transit line in this city. To add insult to injury, the DC burbs are getting another line, where there is already plenty of transit options -- all of which are better than what exist here.

No consolation prizes. All that money spent -- gone. Nothing to show for it. This state has a big fucking problem spending money and getting dick for it. I-70 was supposed to connect to downtown. They razed a major part of the city, moved people into project buildings, relocated others, spent millions building a highway to nowhere -- all because whites didn't want some trees cut down in a park that is famous for being a dumping ground for dead bodies.

Hogan clearly doesnt want anything to do with Baltimore, which is a shame. The leadership of the city is partly to blame -- I mean they're the definition of doing the same thing and expecting different results, but still -- Hogan had a chance to win over some people in the city, to really endear himself to the city and create tons of jobs and he just blew it. He's going to be on the street in 2018.

Well it's not like the people that are in favor of this line were voting for him anyway.
  • KWebz likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Well it's not like the people that are in favor of this line were voting for him anyway.

Leadership at it's best....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

I don't think the lines are that divided.

I voted for him, and I am a transit apologist.

#36 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

I'm disappointed too. I saw that a lot of the money is going to be used to expand roads and adding lanes. More lanes-more cars-more emissions. Boo Hogan.

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

Adding lanes to roads is like cleaning out a junk drawer. Before long it's filled with random shit again.

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

14% of Bmore citizens voted for him.

I know that's not a ton but I bet he pissed off a bunch of them.

#39 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

I'm disappointed too. I saw that a lot of the money is going to be used to expand roads and adding lanes. More lanes-more cars-more emissions. Boo Hogan.

Living in the past... it's a perfect example of the Ostrich Strategy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#40 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

Probably just an honest mistake that means nothing, but the Hogan administration released a map showing how the $1.97B in transit money will be spent, and Baltimore City was missing.

Justin Fenton retweeted

@justin_fenton Behold the power of the Internet! Nothing is forgotten!

CIX7U1pUwAArHRl.jpg

•  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=