• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

It is said that football teams experience their biggest improvements between Week 1 and Week 2. Running out to a 26-3 1st half lead, that looked to be true for the Maryland Terrpains today against Temple. In the end, Maryland had a gut-check but leave Philadelphia with a 9 point (36-27) win.

After getting crushed against the Owls last year, and starting 2012 with an uninspiring victory over William & Mary; you take a victory anyway you can get it. Overall, Maryland can be happy about some of the things they did today, and should enjoy the win. The Terps are now 2-0, and will face another Big East team (Randy Edsall's former program UConn) next week.

The Good:

1) Temple's first offensive play was fumbled, as Vellano got his hand on the ball and Hartsfield recovered the fumble. This gave the Terps possession within the Temple 30 yard line.

2) While the offense was not able to move the ball after Hartsfield recovered the Temple fumble, Craddock did hit a long (45 yards) FG, which gave Maryland the 3-0 early lead.

3) On Temple's 2nd series, Maryland came up with pressure on 3rd and 4; and Kilgo forced a 2nd Owls fumble, recovered by AJ Francis.

4) Following the face masking penalty on Goree, Hartsfield brought Coyer down on a sack for a 10 yard loss. Several Terps converged on Coyer at once.

5) Hills had a tough run on a keeper during Maryland's 3rd series. Later in that possession, he let the pressure come on 3rd and 9, and found Diggs underneath who created the 1st down.

6) During the 1st Quarter, Maryland was doing a good job of limiting the Owls on 1st down, which helped forced Temple into multiple 3rd and longs.

7) The Terrapins started their 4th series on their 43 yard line, helped by a 27 yard punt return from Diggs. Diggs started out going backwards, and then used his speed to explode to the outside. Diggs would pick up a couple of 1st downs on that series, gaining 12 yards on an option with MD facing 3rd and 6. That was followed with another 12 yard gain on a slant over the middle. The Terps would culminate that drive, with Hills getting his first collegiate TD, hitting Furstenburg down the sideline for 22 yards.

8) After MD went up 10-3, the Terps forced another 3 and out, Francis getting the sack on 3rd and 4.

9) Freshman RB Wes Brown saw his first action, gaining 7 yards on a swing pass. On his initial carries, he showed some burst running downhill. Following a nice block from Arnett, Brown had a 21 yard gain to give the Terps 1st and Goal at the Temple 9 yard line.

10) Maryland got their 2nd TD, when Leak got behind the Secondary, and Hills found him in the end zone for 32 yards in the back of the end zone. Maryland covered 62 yards over 4 plays and just over 2 minutes for the score.

11) Outstanding Kickoff coverage after Maryland's 2nd TD. WR Tyrek Cheeseboro had a big tackle.

12) The Terps gained 2 more points on a Safety, when a poor snap from the Owls went into their end zone. This gave Maryland a 19-3 lead with 5:30 left in the 1st half.

13) Maryland faced 3rd and 11, from the Temple 11 with 2:42 left in the 1st. On what looked like a busted play, Hills was able to scoop up the bobbled snape and find the end zone. This pushed the lead out to 23.

14) On 3rd and 17 on Maryland's 2nd series of the 2nd half, Leak again beat the Temple secondary. The 39 yard reception down the side line changed the field position, and stopped the growing momentum for Temple. Two plays later he caught another 19 yard strike over the middle. With the help of the upright, Craddock banged home his 2nd FG, extending the lead back to 19. This was a great answer to Temple closing the gap to begin the 2nd half.

15) Alex Twine had a big tackle on Temple's 3rd series of the 2nd half, closing out the 3rd Quarter. Cole Farrand had a couple of tackles in the 4th.

16) Temple came into the game with 9 consecutive games with 200+ yards rushing, today MD limited them to 46.

17) On an important 4th Quarter 3rd down, Vellano got a sack and forced Temple to punt.

18) After the Diggs fumbled PR, Maryland's defense had a big series and forced Temple into a FGA. The FG attempt was blocked by Francis, and Maryland advanced it 24 yards.

19) Major drive for Maryland after Temple made it a 29-27 game. Several tough runs from Pickett, and Dorsey showed good hands with his 8 yard grab over the middle for an important 1st. The highlight was Diggs atoning for his muffed punt with a 38 yard gain on 3rd and 11. Pickett would punch the ball into the end zone for the win, with a strong 3rd down run.

20) Hartsfield came up with an interception to officially end any chances of a Temple comeback. (Though it looked like it hit the ground.)

21) Hills showed a lot of improvement, and the scheme they ran for him was much better today.

The Bad:

1) Dorsey was called for a penalty on Maryland's first series, moving them back from the great field position they started with. Maryland would be forced into a 3 and out, and limited to a long FG attempt. Would have liked to have seen a TD drive, with where they started on the field.

2) Maryland had poor Kickoff coverage after their initial FG.

3) The Terps faced 3rd and 7 on their 2nd series (which started on their 45), and Hills fumbled against pressure.

4) Goree was called for a 15 yard face mask penalty.

5) The first Terps series of the 2nd Quarter began at the Temple 38, and Maryland went 3 and out. Up 10-3 at the time, that was an opportunity to open the game up.

6) Hills was sacked on Maryland's second series of the 2nd half. Later in that series, Hills would be sacked again. After reaching 1st and Goal at the Temple 6th, the Terps had to settle for a short FG attempt.

7) Maryland had Temple facing 3rd and 31, and allowed Coyer to gain 18 yards on the ground. That long run gave the Owls the opportunity to attempt a long FG, which they converted. This made the game 29-20 with just under 14 minutes left in the game.

8) Following Temple's 4th Quarter FG, Hills was sacked once again, this time for a 10 yard loss. Maryland would quickly go 3 and out, turning the ball right back over to the Owls.

The Ugly:

1) Wes Brown opened the 2nd half exploding for a good run, but ultimately coughing the ball up for a fumble. Temple recovered in Maryland territory. With a 23 point lead, the one thing you can not do, is turn the ball over. Several plays later, Temple had found the end zone and made it a 16 point game.

1a) Brown had a crucial 2nd fumble in the 4th Quarter.

2) Maryland answered the Brown fumble, with a drive for a FG, moving the lead back to 29-10. Two players into Temple's next series, every Maryland player bites for the ball fake and the Owls score on a 62 yard TD pass. Horrible job there from Sean Davis and the Terps. The Terps Secondary should get better with the return of Robinson, and Goins. If Tate can get healthy, Maryland really should consider returning him to the Secondary as well.

3) Vellano had forced Temple into an important punt, in the middle of the 4th. At the time, Maryland was leading by two scores (29-20). On the Owls punt, Tate put it on the ground, giving Temple a new series starting at the Maryland 12. Just can not happen.

4) Eric Franklin was penalized with a penalty (leading with his head) in the 4th. This gave the Owls another 1st down. Eventually Temple would score on that drive, and with the XP, Maryland was up just 2 (29-27).

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

People call me the ever-optimist when it comes to the Terps. I've never once lost faith in Edsall, I still think he's an awesome coach and will lead this team to greatness. Yesterday's game was awesome. Perry Hills showed a ton of growth, and the defense was very solid. Joe Vellano is incredibly talented, and he's a great leader for this defense. I can't wait for next week.
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

People call me the ever-optimist when it comes to the Terps. I've never once lost faith in Edsall, I still think he's an awesome coach and will lead this team to greatness. Yesterday's game was awesome. Perry Hills showed a ton of growth, and the defense was very solid. Joe Vellano is incredibly talented, and he's a great leader for this defense. I can't wait for next week.

While I'm not quite as pessimistic&jumping the gun like some on Edsall, I don't always agree with Zach here. That being said, I got a tremendous amount of respect for stating an unpopular opinion and sticking with it. If Edsall does work out, i'll be the first person to give him credit.
@levineps

#4 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think Edsall is the right "type" of coach for Maryland - one who will make damn sure that the students behave, get to class, get good grades, etc. as well as putting out a good team. I don't know yet whether he specifically is the right guy for the job though, but I think he might be.

The fact that he was a fan of Maryland growing up is fantastic, because he's less likely to leave for a bigger and better position. The fact that this year he seems a bit more laid back and is joking more with the media is a positive sign too, IMO; I think that the media training that the athletic department is paying for may be helping.

So far the Terps have struggled a bit in the games but have still managed to win them in the fourth quarter. That, to me, says they are not giving up at all and fighting hard, even if they're making mistakes. That in itself is a really good sign. The general lack of penalties too (which was also evident last year, despite everything else) is another positive sign.

We'll see how it goes. I attended the Temple game and it was awesome seeing the large group of Maryland fans there, and being able to cheer on the Terps as they beat the Owls. Hopefully there will be more of that this year than most folks expect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=