10 replies to this topic

#1 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:10 AM

This Saturday marks the 50th anniversary of what was arguably the worst loss in Baltimore sports history. On this fateful day in Miami's Orange Bowl, the NFL champion Baltimore Colts, who were favored by as many as 19 points in some betting circles, were upset by the AFL champion New York Jets, 16-7, in Super Bowl III.

This was supposed to be more of a coronation than a crowning. The Colts were being hailed as one of the NFL's all-time great teams, posting a 13-1 regular season record before beating Minnesota for the Western Conference championship, and then thumping the Cleveland Browns, 34-0, for the NFL championship.

Their defense was said to be peerless, and the record seemed to bear that out. The Colts had recorded four shutouts that year, and surrendered just 144 points, and ranked third in total rushing yards allowed. The offense, while not quite as spectacular, still ranked second in the league in points scored with 402. 

Despite such seemingly overwhelming odds, Jets quarterback Joe Namath boldly guaranteed a Jets victory in the days leading up the game. While such brashness certainly added color and spice to a game which had been predictably dull and undramatic in its first two years, few sportswriters gave the Jets a chance. Of the hundreds covering the game that day, only two reportedly picked the Jets to win (although that number has doubtless been embellished with the passage of time.)

Despite Namath's seemingly reckless prediction, the Colts remained confident of victory, and that may have ultimately led to their undoing. Even Colt owner Carroll Rosenbloom was so sure of a Colt win, he planned a big victory party afterward at his Miami home.

But a funny thing happened on the way to that victory party. . .

Link

I've always felt that, despite predictions to the contrary, that the Jets were a better team than they were given credit for. Maybe they weren't as good as the Colts, but they weren't the pushovers they were being made out to be, either. And they certainly had all the psychological advantages going for them. For two weeks they were put down, they played in an inferior league and were going to get eaten alive by the Colts.

The Colts, on the other hand, spent most of the two weeks hearing how great they were, greater even, than the Lombardi Packers, who had easily won the first two Super Bowls. Perhaps, though, those first two games weren't the best of bellwethers in terms of the alleged disparity between the two leagues. As Raider owner Al Davis said years later, the first two Super Bowls didn't necessarily establish the superiority of the NFL over the AFL, but rather, the superiority of the Packers over the rest of professional football.

There has been talk over the years of the game being fixed, done so in order to insure the merger between the league. Bubba Smith, in a Playboy article about 10 years after the game, claimed that Rosenbloom, coach Don Shula, QB Earl Morrall and several other Colt players were all involved in the conspiracy.

My first reaction to this was, They have articles in Playboy? Who knew? :D I've never believed in any of those stories, however. For one, the merger was a done deal by Super Bowl III; the only reason it hadn't yet happened was the NFL and AFL both had to wait for their existing television contracts to expire. While there had been some rumblings of perhaps tweaking the playoff alignment should the NFL's dominance continue, the game itself wasn't going anywhere.

I've always felt that the fix rumors were perpetuated by old Colt fans themselves, some of whom simply couldn't accept the fact that their heroes had failed against a team of alleged upstarts. Conspiracy theories do, after all, help explain the unexplainable and help make sense of an otherwise chaotic world.

In truth, the Colts were simply flat and over-confident, as their play demonstrated. They left some 27 points on the field in the first half, and committed four turnovers deep in Jet territory. Morrall, cast off by the Giants that summer, was the league MVP, but also demonstrated why he had been a career journeyman. Like the rest of the team that day, he simply saved his worst for last.

I've also felt that the loss started in motion a series of events which would eventually lead to the Colts leaving Baltimore in 1984. Even though the Colts would come back two years later and win Super Bowl V in even sloppier fashion, things were just never quite the same after that loss to the Jets. As it turned out, the aftershocks of that fateful day in Miami in January 1969 would be felt long after the final gun sounded.

• BSLMikeLowe and Mike in STL like this

#2 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

I think the worse loss in Baltimore history was when the Colts left town. That killed me.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

79 World Series

#4 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Did anyone here watch that game on that date.??

#5 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Did anyone here watch that game on that date.??

I was but a wee lad at the time, but I recall my folks having a few people over for a few cocktails and later for dinner to celebrate the Colts' win. As the game went on, I remember some words being used I hadn't heard before.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

Wasn't the spread the largest for any championship game? like Colts -13 or something?

@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

Let's just say 1969 was a gut-punch year for Baltimore sports fans, especially those who hated NY teams. You had Super Bowl III. Then there was the Bullets, who finished the regular season with the best record in the NBA but got swept by the Knicks in the 1st Round of the playoffs. And I'm sure I don't need to mention what happened to the Orioles that fall.

#8 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:54 AM

Wasn't the spread the largest for any championship game? like Colts -13 or something?

The Colts were favored by 18 1/2 points for that game, which was probably a bit misleading since much of that reflected bias toward the NFL more than anything else.

Much of the media slant toward the NFL was perpetrated by Tex Maule, Sports Illustrated's lead football writer at the time. Having previously worked for the Los Angeles Rams when Pete Rozelle was GM, his favortism toward the NFL and Rozelle was clearly evident. He was also generally credited with coining the Colts-Giants game "the best football game ever played," and since he did not suffer criticism lightly, few contradicted him.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#9 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:08 AM

Let's just say 1969 was a gut-punch year for Baltimore sports fans, especially those who hated NY teams. You had Super Bowl III. Then there was the Bullets, who finished the regular season with the best record in the NBA but got swept by the Knicks in the 1st Round of the playoffs. And I'm sure I don't need to mention what happened to the Orioles that fall.

The Colts, in particular, had an unflattering and frustrating track record of futility at the brink of success during the mid and late 1960s.

In 1964, the 12-2 Colts were heavily favored to beat the Browns for the NFL championship, and wound up getting blown out, 27-0. In 1965, minus both of their quarterbacks, they lost a Western Conference playoff to Green Bay on a phantom field goal. The 1967 Colts went into the final game of the season undefeated at 11-0-2, the faced the Rams in the season finale at the Coliseum and were routed, 34-10. Both teams finished the year 11-1-2, but due to a tiebreaker system implemented just that season, the Rams won the Coastal Division title.

Then, of course, there was the Super Bowl disaster the following year. I think one reason the Colts-Cowboys Super V matchup was so sloppy was both teams desperately wanted to live down reputations for not being able to win the big one. If anything, the Colts probably played worse in that game than they had two years prior against the Jets. They were just fortunate not to have a monopoly on mistakes against the Cowboys.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

Then, of course, there was the Super Bowl disaster the following year. I think one reason the Colts-Cowboys Super V matchup was so sloppy was both teams desperately wanted to live down reputations for not being able to win the big one. If anything, the Colts probably played worse in that game than they had two years prior against the Jets. They were just fortunate not to have a monopoly on mistakes against the Cowboys.

If I'm not mistaken, that is still the only SB in which the game MVP was awarded to a player on the losing team. I was only a year old at the time so didn't see it, but looking at the stats, personal accounts and "highlight" films, that probably was one of the worst-played NFL games ever (never mind just Super Bowls).

#11 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken, that is still the only SB in which the game MVP was awarded to a player on the losing team. I was only a year old at the time so didn't see it, but looking at the stats, personal accounts and "highlight" films, that probably was one of the worst-played NFL games ever (never mind just Super Bowls).

Yes, Chuck Howley of Dallas was the MVP of Super Bowl V. Somebody had to be. Going back to Super Bowl III for a moment, it's also interesting to note that the Jets are still the only Super Bowl victors to score just one offensive touchdown, and Joe Namath still stands as the only quarterback to be named MVP without throwing a touchdown pass.

Super Bowl V came to be known as the Blooper Bowl, and rightfully so, since the teams combined for 11 turnovers. The Colts alone accounted for seven of them (three interceptions, four fumbles, a failed 4th-and-goal from the Dallas 2, plus a missed field goal and a botched extra point). Where they won it was with their defense, which held Dallas to just 3.7 yards per play, nine first downs and four turnovers (including a controversial fumble recovery on their one-yard line early in the third quarter). Dallas coach Tom Landry said it was the hardest-hitting game he'd ever witnessed.

The Colts also benefited from facing Craig Morton and not Joe Namath. In Dallas' two NFC playoff victories that year, Morton threw for just 112 yards on 43 attempts (an average of 2.6 yards per drop back), and his two fourth-quarter interceptions in Super Bowl V fueled the Colts' comeback. Like Don Shula with Earl Morrall and John Unitas in Super Bowl III, and the Ravens with Lamar and Flacco last week against the Chargers, Landry caught more than a little heat for not replacing the struggling Morton with a guy named Roger Staubach.

If you watch the player reactions after Jim O'Brien's game-winning field goal, you'll see Dallas's Bob Lilly ripping off his helmet and heaving it down the field in frustration. As someone humorously noted later, it was one of the better throws of the day.

• Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=