718 replies to this topic

#701 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

OMG this debate is going to last until training camp, isn't it?

I still think Jerry Hairston should've been the Orioles second baseman.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, DJ MC and 4 others like this

#702 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

As long as people make stupid assertions without understanding context. :)

#703 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

We're still debating Buck, Britton and Ubaldo and all of them are gone!

• DJ MC likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#704 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

That's...not ideal.

This would be another advantage of bringing in an experienced QB in that situation. Flacco would be better at making his own adjustments at the LOS than Jackson at this point in his career. That could mitigate some of the tipping of pitches.

Linemen need to work on that in practice, however. At least, they used to do those things.

I remember in Jerry Kramer's Instant Replay book (yes, I know that was a long time ago, but some things haven't changed that much) the offensive linemen would ask the defense every day in practice, "Can you read me.?" Were they up on their toes and leaning forward slightly, which would suggest a running play or even perhaps a cut-off block. Or perhaps they were slightly back on their heels with their rear ends sagging slightly, meaning they were looking to get back in pass protection quickly.

Both defenses and offenses are alike are always looking for clues as to what the other side might be doing on a given play. Defenses, in particular, tend to play percentages, so any type of giveaway is handing them a significant advantage. With all of the video available on every game played in the NFL today, I'm surprised no one on the Ravens didn't call Stanley out for the way he was getting down in his stance, if he was indeed tipping off the defense. I doubt if it's something he started doing just yesterday.

#705 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:14 AM

Because he kept running around until he got a wide-open throw. His passes were still quite bad.

I actually laughed out loud at one of them.

#706 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Do you guys think Flacco would have had a chance behind that OL?

Really?

It would have forced the Chargers defense to play for a passing game which would have taken some of the pressure off the OL and created more opportunities for the run.

#707 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

They were crowding the line since they weren't worried about the pass. Runners need some space to work with, especially bigger backs who don't have the same ability to change direction or slip tackles. That's part of why I think having Flacco in the game later would have helped, since the pass becomes a threat again and opens up opportunities to run up the gut.

Agree 100%

#708 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

It would have forced the Chargers defense to play for a passing game which would have taken some of the pressure off the OL and created more opportunities for the run.

That sounds good in theory but if that's the case, why was the run game so pathetic when Flacco was in there for the first 9 games?  At best, he would have done what Jackson did in the 4th quarter. 

• NewMarketSean likes this

#709 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

That sounds good in theory but if that's the case, why was the run game so pathetic when Flacco was in there for the first 9 games? At best, he would have done what Jackson did in the 4th quarter.

1). No commitment to it
2). Collins wasn’t good this year
3). Allen isn’t good...why people continue to overlook that we have two DiFFERENT RBs is mind boggling to me.
4) offensive line is better now...some of that has to do with Jackson and some of it has to do with guys just being better now than they were earlier..and the addition of Brown.

#710 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

1). No commitment to it
2). Collins wasn’t good this year
3). Allen isn’t good...why people continue to overlook that we have two DiFFERENT RBs is mind boggling to me.
4) offensive line is better now...some of that has to do with Jackson and some of it has to do with guys just being better now than they were earlier..and the addition of Brown.

Agree with no. 1.  No. 2- Collins wasn't good this year because for the most part, he had nowhere to go other than running into a brick wall.  No.3- Allen was serviceable at one time but with the line being what it was early in the year, he too was going nowhere. No.4- Most of it had to do with Jackson but you're right, there was some improvement overall as the season wore on.  Yanda finally got his legs back and returned to playing like a perennial All-Pro.  Brown mainly helped in pass protection.  

#711 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

Collins also wasn’t hitting holes..he wasn’t as decisive and was banged up.

Either way, there is a lot more to the improved running game than just Lamar was in and Joe was out.

#712 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:52 AM

Either way, there is a lot more to the improved running game than just Lamar was in and Joe was out.

I still say it was mainly Jackson being in there and defenses having to constantly monitor what he was doing that opened up a lot of the holes that Edwards and Dixon benefited from.  And I'm pretty sure if you asked the running backs, they'd say the same thing. 

#713 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

If we're married to Jackson, I hope we at least bring in a bonfide power back and stock up on OL help in the draft. That would make the QB situation somewhat bearable for me. The other option is to maybe go after that WVA QB folks are talking about.

#714 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

If we're married to Jackson, I hope we at least bring in a bonfide power back and stock up on OL help in the draft. That would make the QB situation somewhat bearable for me. The other option is to maybe go after that WVA QB folks are talking about.

I agree. Another speedy WR would be great too. Make this offense FAST!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#715 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

I still say it was mainly Jackson being in there and defenses having to constantly monitor what he was doing that opened up a lot of the holes that Edwards and Dixon benefited from. And I'm pretty sure if you asked the running backs, they'd say the same thing.

Run after contact and breaking tackles has very little to do with Jackson. Both edwards and Dixon are good at that.

If the Ravens never had a good run game under Joe, your point would be more valid imo.

But it was good as recent as the end of last season.

#716 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Collins ran mean last year. Breaking tackles and running over people. It cost him some fumbles early being aggressive. This season he didn't have it.

#717 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

It's pretty obvious that quarterbacks that have elite running ability and are often used in a read option have a very positive impact on the running game beyond just their own rushing yardage.

The long-term viability is another question.

#718 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

Run after contact and breaking tackles has very little to do with Jackson. Both edwards and Dixon are good at that.

If the Ravens never had a good run game under Joe, your point would be more valid imo.

But it was good as recent as the end of last season.

I realize we could debate this forever but Edwards and Dixon were breaking tackles AFTER getting through a gaping hole and that's attributable to Jackson being behind center.  Sorry but I just don't believe that happens with Flacco back there.  And for the record, none of my posts about this topic had anything to do with Joe and the running game previous to this year.  

#719 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

I do agree, the running game is typically worse with Joe Flacco behind center. I don't however think it has nearly as much to do with Joe, as it does with how Marty has called games for 3 years with Joe under center. They don't TRY to establish a running game 75% of the time. Over the course of a game, if you ask the O-line to pass set so much, they're beaten up and worn down by the later stages of the game.

I'll leave the names out of it, but there was an OC a few years back that inherited a running game that was atrocious the year before, just atrocious. They changed the scheme, and at the end of the season their YPC had jumped almost A YARD AND A HALF over the year before. The QB had one of his best, most efficient seasons of his career... and a journeyman RB afterthought wound up in the Pro Bowl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=