711 replies to this topic

#701 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

How everyone that is even remotely famous hasn't done this is beyond me.

Agree that the team could do it as well but they aren't babysitters.

I would cut him just for being stupid.

For being stupid as a 16 year old? That doesn't make any sense.

I think it needs to happen on a case by case basis but at some point, we've got to stop disciplining people in the present for what said 6-7-8-9 years ago. Same thing with Kevin Hart. People can change.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#702 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:39 PM

I think it needs to happen on a case by case basis but at some point, we've got to stop disciplining people in the present for what said 6-7-8-9 years ago. Same thing with Kevin Hart. People can change.

For being stupid and not going back to erase it.

i realize he may not have remembered but still, you have to check that shit.

#703 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

For being stupid and not going back to erase it.

i realize he may not have remembered but still, you have to check that shit.

Yeah, in this day and age, definitely.

Still don't know if cutting him is deserved, though. If anything, I think instances like this are opportunities to learn and grow as people, but thats just me being a 3/4 glass empty guy. LOL

• SportsGuy likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#704 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

How everyone that is even remotely famous hasn't done this is beyond me.

Agree that the team could do it as well but they aren't babysitters.

I would cut him just for being stupid.

I kinda agree, but as a social media presence, the Ravens should, you know, at least track the social media of their personnel. This should have been caught the day he was acquired.

• russsnyder likes this

#705 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

I kinda agree, but as a social media presence, the Ravens should, you know, at least track the social media of their personnel. This should have been caught the day he was acquired.

Harbaugh was asked about that during his press conference today.  He said they are very vigilant for in coming draft picks.

Ricard was an UDFA, so maybe they didn't do as much work as normal with him.  

He didn't mention what they do once they are here though.

#706 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

I agree, but I don't think that's the point.

I'm sorry, but this is all on the PR guy. I can get on my soapbox and say, "I'm sure that every Raven has said it at some time or another," but isn't their job to make sure that this information never sees the light of day? Like, isn't that almost Job One for these guys? Literally hire 3 guys to scrubs social media accounts. It would take 3 days, max.

How fucking hard is this? Ricard is a dumbass, but the team failed him here.

It's difficult to believe that most players are not given the option of either shutting down or scrubbing their social media accounts by their respective teams. I

In fact, in the light of this and the Hader incident, I would be surprised if there isn't a social media seminar at this year's combine for the invitees.

While it's hard to feel sorry for Ricard if he gets cut, I hope that he will be given another chance by the team and his teammates. He was a lot younger when he posted the garbage and people do change.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#707 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

I would sure love to see someone rational (like the Ravens) take a stand against the mob mentality that creates these blood in the water feeding frenzies. It makes no sense to judge people by today's standards for something they did in the past. People are not responsible for the culture in which they were raised, especially if they've changed lately.

• Mike B, bmore_ken and russsnyder like this

#708 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:38 AM

I would sure love to see someone rational (like the Ravens) take a stand against the mob mentality that creates these blood in the water feeding frenzies. It makes no sense to judge people by today's standards for something they did in the past. People are not responsible for the culture in which they were raised, especially if they've changed lately.

I think the Ravens have handled this situation pretty well up to this point. Ricard was deactivated for the game because he would have created an unnecessary distraction had he played. He hasn't been suspended by the team and he has said that he wants to address the team when the time is right. My guess is that these tweets are out of character for the man that Ricard is now. Further, if the organization and his teammates can forgive Ricard for his six year old tweets that's all that really matters IMO.

#709 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

1) Ricard was going to be inactive anyway.

2) They said they would handle it internally and Harbs said he would allow the players to decide what to do.

#710 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

You've got Kyler Murray being criticized for stuff he said when he was what, 14? 15?

This ish has gotten way out of hand. Kids stay stupid stuff. When you grow up and experience the world and different cultures, you learn from your mistakes.

• Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#711 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:37 AM

You've got Kyler Murray being criticized for stuff he said when he was what, 14? 15?

This ish has gotten way out of hand. Kids stay stupid stuff. When you grow up and experience the world and different cultures, you learn from your mistakes.

Of course Kyler Murray has to deal with the old comments after he wins the Heisman. Very similar to what Hader experienced before his all star appearance. Knock the guy off his pedestal during the biggest moment in his life.

I agree that the way a person is tried publicly for an old social media post is way out of hand. Everybody says and does stupid stuff, however, there are people in this world whom are going to try to take you down at the most inopportune time. Unfortunately or not, we live in a society that seems to be extremely judgemental and unforgiving when it comes to making derogatory comments. Further, a lot of these same people enjoy the failures of others because of jealousy or their misery.

#712 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

I've got no problem with digging back and finding old comments made by adults.  Kevin Hart reaction doesn't really bother me.  I don't know exactly what he said, but he said it as a grown adult and has to live with the consequences.

I do think we shouldn't be digging backwards into things said by people when they were kids.  I'm super glad the stupid shit I said in my early teens just vanished into the ether rather than got recorded forever on the internet.  We can argue over the age line, 16, 19, 23, whatever, but the younger you were and the longer it's been, the more leniency I'll give in terms of forgiveness, if there is even anything to forgive.  The words chosen and the comments said also are a factor.  "I hate <fill-in-the-blank>" is a lot different message than using a derogatory word to insult somebody by comparison.

• mdrunning likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=