• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

Been mentioned several times now the O's may consider hiring a President of Baseball Ops.... and a EVP of Baseball Ops / GM.

If that's the case, clearly the hiring of the President has to come first.

We (BSL) have looked at a few prospective hires for EVP / GM; but the talent pool for a 'President' would be a bit different.

We're talking about guys who are not up and coming prospective GM's, but accomplished GM's.

They set the tone and direction for the Baseball Ops department, but the GM runs the day-to-day show.
They also are the direct conduit to Ownership.

If you weren't hiring a previously accomplished GM to be the President....  then Ripken in this capacity could make some sense.  I'd have the same reservations I've always had about hiring him, but this would figure to be the type of position which would interest him.

What other names could make sense here?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

Jed Hoyer, Cubs
Farhan Zaidi, Dodgers

Alex Anthopoulous, Braves

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

John Hart?

70 years old... has served in the capacity recently.

Did a good job with Atlanta.... but how his tenure ended, maybe not realistic.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

Billy Beane? He's EVP with Oakland.... would he ever leave?

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:04 AM

Billy Beane? He's EVP with Oakland.... would he ever leave?

No, he's got an ownership stake there.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

No, he's got an ownership stake there.

Yep, it's just a fraction, but Oakland was dead set on keeping him. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

Brady has said he wants this job, if it ever became available. How realistic is it that his friends hire an outsider over their long time buddy?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Chris, you are naming way too many people that the Orioles will literally never hire.

Think older retread. That’s the target.

No young, brilliant mind is coming to this crappy organization.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

Chris, you are naming way too many people that the Orioles will literally never hire.

Think older retread. That’s the target.

No young, brilliant mind is coming to this crappy organization.

In that sense Hart is the best case. 

I could see Colletti as well.

Mainly was trying to simply identify names where it would make sense (based on their titles, accomplishments)... not who Id expect the O's to hire.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:07 AM

In that sense Hart is the best case.

I could see Colletti as well.

Mainly was trying to simply identify names where it would make sense (based on their titles, accomplishments)... not who Id expect the O's to hire.

Hart, Colletti, Melvin...those are the only types of names worth mentioning.

Until this team shows any ability to be forward thinking and shows a clue that they actually aren’t incredibly incompetent, there is no reason to suggest anyone that isn’t close to or already is an AARP member.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

Nobody hires a young up-and-coming mind as their president.  It's a promotion from GM.  You could hire one of the younger GMs to come take over everything, but you're not going to promote somebody from head of amateur scouting to team president.  I'd be wary of young GMs who work under a very established and proven President.  Ideally I'd like to hire a GM that has worked in many conditions and proven to be successful in a variety of ways.

Frankly, I don't think there is a lot for a president to do over the next two years.  It's all on the GM to hire the right scouting directors and development people.  That's not the president's job.  The president is the go-between from the GM to ownership and helps the GM mull over big picture things going on with the major league team.  We won't have any big major league things that we would need to bother a president or ownership with for quite a while, with the exception of deciding on how long to run out the string with Davis.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Nobody hires a young up-and-coming mind as their president.  It's a promotion from GM.  You could hire one of the younger GMs to come take over everything, but you're not going to promote somebody from head of amateur scouting to team president.  I'd be wary of young GMs who work under a very established and proven President.  Ideally I'd like to hire a GM that has worked in many conditions and proven to be successful in a variety of ways.

Frankly, I don't think there is a lot for a president to do over the next two years.  It's all on the GM to hire the right scouting directors and development people.  That's not the president's job.  The president is the go-between from the GM to ownership and helps the GM mull over big picture things going on with the major league team.  We won't have any big major league things that we would need to bother a president or ownership with for quite a while, with the exception of deciding on how long to run out the string with Davis.

Right... it's accomplished GM's. 

I think the opinion that it should be a GM who has worked in multiple conditions is something which would be ideal.

I'm not sure that there isn't a lot to do...  a hire at President is about installing a vision, and putting mechanisms in-place to allow the org to move in that direction. 

Clearly just a GM could do the same, but if you are hiring both... it's a chance to add that additional experience and brain power.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hart, Colletti, Melvin...those are the only types of names worth mentioning.

Until this team shows any ability to be forward thinking and shows a clue that they actually aren’t incredibly incompetent, there is no reason to suggest anyone that isn’t close to or already is an AARP member.

Melvin is a good call.  That's a realistic name.

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

I still have a feeling it will be Ned Colletti.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

I still have a feeling it will be Ned Colletti.

Still?

You've always thought they would hire a President?

Or just that you think who ever leads the org....  be it a President if they hire it, or just EVP to replace Duquette.... that ultimately the 'leader' will be Colletti?

#16 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

Dan Duquette would have been perfect for this role which is why it was a little surprising he wasn't promoted IMO.

I'd add Jon Daniels to the list of consideration. Would be fitting for him to come in after Showalter was gone to clean up another mess.

#17 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

Scratch that - apparently Daniels already signed a multi-year extension. Smart move by the Rangers.

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Nick
1:15
Who are some names I should I be excited to hear for the Mets GM search? Who are some names I should roll my eyes at that they’ll likely end up with?

Keith Law
1:15
The Mets need to hire someone who is comfortable with analytics. That can be someone of just about any age. It would not be, say, Ned Colletti. (Rinse and repeat for Baltimore.)

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Still?

You've always thought they would hire a President?

Or just that you think who ever leads the org....  be it a President if they hire it, or just EVP to replace Duquette.... that ultimately the 'leader' will be Colletti?

Yeah should have clarified... this.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

If they are going to hire a President and a EVP.... the hire of the President needs to come relatively quickly, no?

Like if you are hiring both (and a Manager)... maybe the EVP doesn't come on until Halloween to Thanksgiving.... but the President should be in-place within the next week. (Not holding my breath.)

Would be cool to hear if the O's do plan on hiring a President.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=