• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm hoping that someone here can explain this to me. Why is it that a good majority of the Terps football games are not on live today and instead are usually aired the next day, on I think CSN? I know that the Terps are bad, but I figure that there's still people out there with an interest in watching the game live. I just never understood why they were not on television, except for some ACC games here and there. Am I mistaken about this?
@mrbeanage

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

The game was on ESPN3. ACC TV contracts with ESPN and Raycom dictate coverage.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

A team coming off a 2-10 season playing an FCS opponent is a game destined for internet-only coverage. Their game at Temple next week will be on ESPNU though.

#4 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured that it had something to do with the ACC and Raycom contract. I thought that they would have still gone with the Terps in the local areas, like the NFL does, but I guess I was wrong about that.
@mrbeanage

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured that it had something to do with the ACC and Raycom contract. I thought that they would have still gone with the Terps in the local areas, like the NFL does, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Technically, the ACC doesn't have a contract with Raycom anymore. They have a contract with ESPN, who then sublicenses two football games per week to Raycom....both games are branded as the "ACC Network" but it isn't an actual dedicated conference network like what the Big Ten and Pac-12 have. For one game they have a group of OTA affiliates while the second is shown over various RSNs throughout ACC territory (CSN in the mid-Atlantic).

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

The Terps game vs UConn will be on the ACC Network, Channel 13 in Baltimore and Channel 5 in DC. It is also available online via the ACC's website.

Confirmation won't come until early next week, but expect the Terps game at WVU on Sept 22 to be shown on FX at noon ET.

EDIT: Changes to local channels.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Confirmation won't come until early next week, but expect the Terps game at WVU on Sept 22 to be shown on FX at noon ET.

It's confirmed now.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

The Terps game vs Wake Forest on October 6 will be televised on ESPNU, kickoff at 3:30 ET.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Info for the next two games:

Saturday October 20
Terps vs NC State, 3:30pm ET, ESPNU

Saturday October 27
Terps at Boston College, 1pm ET, ESPN3 (no TV, web only)

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Info for the next two games:

Saturday October 20
Terps vs NC State, 3:30pm ET, ESPNU

Saturday October 27
Terps at Boston College, 1pm ET, ESPN3 (no TV, web only)

Saturday November 3
Terps vs. Georgia Tech, 12:30 pm ET, ACC Network
@levineps

#11 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm wondering what kind of TV coverage UMD football will get when it switches over to the Big Ten. I think that there is a Big 10 network, but that is a channel that isn't available with basic cable. Or at least with Comcast I believe. Might be different for Verizon and Direct TV.
@mrbeanage

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm wondering what kind of TV coverage UMD football will get when it switches over to the Big Ten. I think that there is a Big 10 network, but that is a channel that isn't available with basic cable. Or at least with Comcast I believe. Might be different for Verizon and Direct TV.

Every home game should be televised on the Big Ten Network, should be available eventually on all basic cable systems, might take some time though.
@levineps

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, I have the BTN with FIOS.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Much, much, MUCH better than what it is in the ACC....if you can get the Big Ten Network, of course. I have DirecTV, which not only carries the basic BTN channel but also the overflow channels when there are simultaneous games. But back to your question....every football game will be shown on either one of the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC....no ESPNU and most of all no ESPN3....THANK GOD!) or the Big Ten Network through 2016. The current deal with ESPN expires after that. I would expect FOX to try and bid big to get the B1G for their new Fox Sports 1 network and for the OTA FOX network as well.

It's the same deal with basketball. ESPN/ABC (and I think CBS might show some games....I know CBS does the tournament) and everything that isn't picked up by them goes on the BTN.

I can't wait!

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

It's the same deal with basketball. ESPN/ABC (and I think CBS might show some games....I know CBS does the tournament) and everything that isn't picked up by them goes on the BTN.

I can't wait!

CBS only does the the semis/finals. I think ESPN does the rest, although some of the early action might be on the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten Finals is the last game before the selection process is revealed, so they'll just have to two contingent plans depending on who wins that game. ABC only shows the SEC semis/finals now, the sports Department at ABC is shrinking to say the least.
@levineps

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

CBS only does the the semis/finals. I think ESPN does the rest, although some of the early action might be on the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten Finals is the last game before the selection process is revealed, so they'll just have to two contingent plans depending on who wins that game. ABC only shows the SEC semis/finals now, the sports Department at ABC is shrinking to say the least.

Ah, thanks for that info. And just to sum that last part up, ABC actually does not have a sports department at all anymore. It was completely dissolved in 2006. That's why every event they show has ESPN branding, because it's entirely produced by ESPN.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Ah, thanks for that info. And just to sum that last part up, ABC actually does not have a sports department at all anymore. It was completely dissolved in 2006. That's why every event they show has ESPN branding, because it's entirely produced by ESPN.

I was more speaking of their sports programming (or lack of) but yeah, "ABC Sports" doesn't exactly exist anymore.
@levineps

#18 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

Much, much, MUCH better than what it is in the ACC....if you can get the Big Ten Network, of course. I have DirecTV, which not only carries the basic BTN channel but also the overflow channels when there are simultaneous games. But back to your question....every football game will be shown on either one of the ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC....no ESPNU and most of all no ESPN3....THANK GOD!) or the Big Ten Network through 2016. The current deal with ESPN expires after that. I would expect FOX to try and bid big to get the B1G for their new Fox Sports 1 network and for the OTA FOX network as well.

I can't wait!

Thanks for the info everyone. I have Comcast at my place, so I'm thinking that the Big Ten Network might have come with the Sports package, but I would have to look into that. I figured that ESPN/ABC carried Big Ten games, but I just assumed that it was the games that would attract more viewers ie Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. Since UMD will be a newer attraction, maybe that will result in games will be seen more frequently.

Didn't notice that ABC Sports was gone. Now I think about it, it does make sense that ESPN is producing all the sporting events.
@mrbeanage

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Didn't notice that ABC Sports was gone. Now I think about it, it does make sense that ESPN is producing all the sporting events.

It's been and more integrated into the coverage over the years. They just decided to stop the "ABC" branding completely at that point. They used to have separate announcers, now they are pretty interchangeable(and the same in many cases). For example, Brent/Kirk will be on ESPN in many cases, if it's a better game than the Saturday Primetime matchup.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=