80 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hit piece. Dinich has always had an agenda. I dont doubt a lot of this stuff was happening, but it happens at every college. Every HS. But this is the University of Maryland. Everyone wants to pile on this University and I for one am tired of us taking the hit for everything.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Hit piece. Dinich has always had an agenda. I dont doubt a lot of this stuff was happening, but it happens at every college. Every HS. But this is the University of Maryland. Everyone wants to pile on this University and I for one am tired of us taking the hit for everything.

This is where I was the first few paragraphs. Then there was just vivid detail after detail from numerous sources to quickly move me to the other side. It's just not acceptable man. There is definitely some "don't be a P____" kinda crap in HS for sure, but not to the point where people are being humiliated for passing out and being forced to vomit. At least not at any of my HS teams.

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

This is where I was the first few paragraphs. Then there was just vivid detail after detail from numerous sources to quickly move me to the other side. It's just not acceptable man. There is definitely some "don't be a P____" kinda crap in HS for sure, but not to the point where people are being humiliated for passing out and being forced to vomit. At least not at any of my HS teams.

Its everywhere. And kids die every summer from the exact same things. Of course its not right, and of course things should change, but I will not stand by and let this University be singled out and take the fall yet again.

#24 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:37 PM

Anyone who believes this doesn’t happen at all top programs is fooling themselves. Hell coach K does it on the sidelines all the time as did Gary Williams! The fact that MD is a shit show is because they are not a top program otherwise this isn’t a fucking story at all. Get real.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

If you dont think there are a lot of people out there who are out to get the Unviversity of Md I dont know what to yell you. It makes me sick knowing how corrupt and shady every single Div 1 football/basketball program is in this country yet MD is constantly the one made an example of

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:43 PM

If you dont think there are a lot of people out there who are out to get the Unviversity of Md I dont know what to yell you. It makes me sick knowing how corrupt and shady every single Div 1 football/basketball program is in this country yet MD is constantly the one made an example of

I don't see that at all. MD isn't relevant enough to "get". Why would people be out to get Maryland? Just doesn't add up.

What does add up is that this culture can't be tolerated. Even if it is as common as you say, and to the degree it was out of control and barbaric at MD, I don't think it is that common, being exposed requires action. This is really bad. 

• MikeinOwingsMills likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

I absolutely agree with Branden that this stuff happens everywhere. But here’s the problem with that defense. For this to be unveiled, people have to speak up, right?

I get what Branden is saying and I really don’t think he’s wrong at all...but if someone is speaking up about the Terps but not another school, the story is going to be written about Maryland.

On top of that, McNair just died. It’s a perfect storm for things to come out.

I don’t doubt this goes on at most, if not every school...but without inside people telling the story, you have no reason to report on it.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

I don't see that at all. MD isn't relevant enough to "get". Why would people be out to get Maryland? Just doesn't add up.

What does add up is that this culture can't be tolerated. Even if it is as common as you say, and to the degree it was out of control and barbaric at MD, I don't think it is that common, being exposed requires action. This is really bad.

Yea, I don’t think anyone is out to get MD. It’s just a shit sandwich that has been happening and enough inside people are talking, so you have this.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Oh please. They found a few bitter ex coaches and current players to run a hit piece. Anyone who wants to tell the stories about the exact same shit happening at Auburn are silenced.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

Again....  right now, the playing leadership needs to be interviewed by 3rd party people.  Get their accounts on how accurate the article is.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#31 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

It’s a damn shame the kid died and that really is the crux for why this is out now. If the kid doesn’t die this is not a story at all. There isnt anything that shows that coaching led to this kid dying. So all this other stuff is just piling on as far as I’m concerned.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

It’s a damn shame the kid died and that really is the crux for why this is out now. If the kid doesn’t die this is not a story at all. There isnt anything that shows that coaching led to this kid dying. So all this other stuff is just piling on as far as I’m concerned.

Everything you said here is likely true.

That being said, if you are his parents and you read that this is how coaching is happening, you have to wonder did they ignore signs that he was in a health danger zone and just kept pushing him.

I mean, how you can not think that. You would certainly think that if it was your kid out there.

Perception means everything and the perception here looks terrible for the program.
  • CantonJester likes this

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

"The kid's" name is Jordan McNair. He was 19 years old. A native of Randallstown, MD. Played his High School football at McDonogh and was playing out his dream by playing at Maryland. He is dead. Let's not speak in abstracts here.
  • BobPhelan, Mashed Potatoes, Thirteen and 1 other like this

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Well, the difference between someone, you know, dying or not seems like enough of a difference to move to clean house. If that isn't, what would be? 

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

So basically MD was “unlucky” because they had a kid die.
  • Thirteen likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Also LOL at people claiming they know what goes on at other top programs like they’re Bo Fucking Schembechler

@bopper33

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Here is what I am interested to hear. I wanna hear guys in the media that played. I wanna hear what they have to say about this. If most of them say “yea it’s horrible but this is what goes on” I’ll feel a lot better about this situation.

But I highly doubt Heather Dinich has been sitting around waiting to try to bring down the MD football program.

@bopper33

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

I may listen to Danny Kannel on Sirius Monday and hear his take

@bopper33

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,480 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

Well, the difference between someone, you know, dying or not seems like enough of a difference to move to clean house. If that isn't, what would be?

McNair dying by itself is not enough to clean house. I'm not being cruel here. His death is a tragedy. To clean house because he died, you need to prove people were responsible. And if they were, being fired is the least of their concerns.

Possibly fucking up their immediate response and not recognizing signs may not be either (though someone would need to go, and MD would need to pay out the ass)...

What is reason to clean house (effectively Durkin) is if he instilled a program based on fear, and if players were regularly verbally (and physically) intimidated by Durkin's staff.

What you need to determine here are... (and it can only be done by a 3rd party)... is

1) What exactly happened with McNair, and did MD try and cover any thing up?
2) Is what is mentioned in the ESPN article the comments of a few unhappy people, or remarks which accurately describe the overall environment?

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

It sounds like people were saying McNair pushed himself in those drills past what he was capable of doing for fear of the repercussions.

That in itself is completely FUBAR
  • BobPhelan and Nigel Tufnel like this

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=