65 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Well, it certainly is far-fetched; I said pretty much the same prior to showing that quote. I just don't think the NCAA will want to set a precedent (one that lawyers/coaches/players will surely use in the future) for Dez's case.

Well if nothing else, if there is some kid out there crazy/stupid enough to try it, then the NCAA declining Wells a waiver might prevent a future crime....a form of Minority Report, if you will.

#42 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I think that overall, this is a relatively unique situation regarding Wells and his eligibility.

It's not simply a matter of "guy got expelled for doing something bad and he needs to sit for a year because of the transfer." It's a matter of "guy never would have transferred if he hadn't got expelled (and therefore would have been eligible this year) and guy was apparently wrongly expelled for something that he didn't do, at least according to the grand jury.

The big difference between this case and others, IMO, is that what he was expelled for (rape) was rejected by a grand jury; not only that, even the prosecutor thought what Xavier did was unjust.

There's no precendent to be set, execpt for cases in which a university expells someone for a crime, and then later on a grand jury declines to indict a person for that crime, and the prosecutor agrees with the grand jury and thinks the school erred in its expulsion, and the university upholds the expulsion (not something that happens too often, as far as I know).

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

http://sports.chroni... ... ins-again/

#44 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Testudo Times interview with Xavier-blog Banners on the Parkway:

http://www.testudoti... ... -dez-wells

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Turgeon and his staff are doing a great recruiting job. This will be a deep Maryland team in 2012 and potentialy loaded team in 2013.
As for Wells, I think we can all agree that the NCAA takes care of its favored schools but IMO, how can Wells not be declared eligible?? The charges were unfounded and subsequently dropped, the kid is an excellent student and even the prosecuter felt he was unfairly expelled. Not sure how he is not allowed to play. All that said, 2013 is the year for Marylands return to power so maybe it is better for all parties if he sits this year.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#46 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Friend of mine found this on a Xavier message board. Not sure the credibility of it, but if it is legit, it's an interesting part of the allegation. Might help him with the NCAA.

From a Dez Wells grand jury member:
"It was an RA, she was texting him all night about meeting up later, she was drunk, he was sober. at some point he smoked something, she did not. she took him back to her room, had to enter in a code to get into it, and they had sex. she admitted to not refusing or trying to stop it in anyway. she was willing. like 4 am that night calls her guy friend freaking out, he tells her she may have been raped she calls cops, go to hospital, rape kit negative, she says she doesn't want to go any further. week later changes her mind, there was a 4 hour meeting with the board, and he was expelled. The investigator on the case described her emotional state as "buyers remorse"..also if she has relations with a student as an RA, she loses her position."

@mrbeanage

#47 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

That's not the right story.

#48 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Okay. Wasn't sure if it was or not. Thought it was worth sharing if it was.
@mrbeanage

#49 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Okay. Wasn't sure if it was or not. Thought it was worth sharing if it was.

Yeah, I mean there are some correct parts of this story that are correct, but some that are not. I am a member of a pay site where the insiders told a different story.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

ESPN: Terps waiting on Wells
http://espn.go.com/b...aiting-on-wells

#51 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

ESPN: Terps waiting on Wells
http://espn.go.com/b...aiting-on-wells

Maybe I am reading a bit too far into this, but from what I read, if Xavier signs it, they are going to allow Wells to play it seems. Maybe I am reading too far into it.
@Langley486

#52 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Maybe I am reading a bit too far into this, but from what I read, if Xavier signs it, they are going to allow Wells to play it seems. Maybe I am reading too far into it.

That's how I read it too.

Seems simple, right? I'm sure it isn't and obviously hasn't been, but I think this is somewhat encouraging.

@AdamWolff

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,961 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think the article does indicate that it is just waiting to hear from Xavier, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the NCAA care what Xavier thinks? It's not like Wells left there and Xavier didn't want him to, they kicked him out.

#54 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think the article does indicate that it is just waiting to hear from Xavier, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the NCAA care what Xavier thinks? It's not like Wells left there and Xavier didn't want him to, they kicked him out.

Yeah, I don't really get why the NCAA would allow Xavier to have a say in this. Just doesn't make any sense. It's not how that organization rolls.

But for S&G's, let's say it is. If this is a decision by Mack (Head Coach) and Bobinski (AD), I would be absolutely stunned if they don't let give the NCAA the A-OK. Frankly, if this whole situation were up to them, Wells would still be living in Buenger Hall at Xavier University because they would have sided with the Hamilton County Prosecutor.

#55 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

That's how I read it too.

Seems simple, right? I'm sure it isn't and obviously hasn't been, but I think this is somewhat encouraging.

If we don't have an answer within the week, something is fishy. I am still a little surprised they are sending the waiver to Xavier. I know Xavier said they would side with Maryland if they needed it, but this just seems like the NCAA is getting the OK from Xavier to allow him to play. Never seen this before.
@Langley486

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just when you think you have seen it all from the NCAA, they come up with something new. Never has an organization abused power like this bunch of clowns.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@mikeghg

#57 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Alex Prewitt just said on twitter that the NCAA has denied Wells eligibility waiver. Maryland plans to file an appeal.

@AdamWolff

#58 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Okay so can someone explain this to me. I go to Canisius and Jim Baron was hired. His son, Billy, transferred here and is immediately eligible to play. I don't get why the NCAA would allow this but not in the case of Wells who was wrongfully thrown out of school.
@Langley486

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Okay so can someone explain this to me. I go to Canisius and Jim Baron was hired. His son, Billy, transferred here and is immediately eligible to play. I don't get why the NCAA would allow this but not in the case of Wells who was wrongfully thrown out of school.

Four letters: N-C-A-A.

Their motto: "Punishing student-athletes for over a century"

#60 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I have no knowledge of Baron's situation. Is he a RS Senior? If so, after Rhode Island, he could transfer to any college to get a graduate degree as long as that college offers a degree that Rhode Island does not. That's usually the loophole players use.

Again though, not sure Baron's situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=