• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Per Dave Telep, Dez Wells is looking at Maryland, Louisville, and Memphis after his (wrongly given) expulsion from Xavier.

Would ne eligible for next season unless the NCAA grants a waiver.

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

What do you think of him as a player? His stats are impressive for a freshman.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

What do you think of him as a player? His stats are impressive for a freshman.

Dez Wells is an electric player. Just search him in Youtube for some of his dunks (). He is a 6'7" SF who could possibly play the 2 at times. Good defense, but certainly areas to imrpove. Very good rebounder, can get up and down the floor quickly, and is good from beyond the arc. Regardless, he averaged 10+ PPG as a freshman with a team with many other guys looking to get the ball.

Believe me, if I were Mark Turgeon, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I know I'm biased, but I think Dez Wells will be in the NBA in a few years. He is a spark plug to any team.

In regards to what occurred, I'm not sure if anyone has been following, but basically Dez Wells was accused of rape. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said there was not nearly enough evidence to make a case of it, and he wouldn't take it to court in a million years. He said that the whole case was completely overblown by Xavier, and hoped that Father Graham (President of the school) would revisit the situation. Deters also blasted the university for its questionable process for discipline. While his investigation was occurring, Xavier University's Student Disciplinary Board voted to expel Wells. Wells tried to appeal, but was denied.

This occurred last week, but is continuing making news due to Deters' discussing what happened today on 700WLW. Wells' attorney also was interviewed. You can read some of what they said here: http://cincinnati.co... ... dez-wells/

From what I have heard from friends and gathered from others, Dez tried to be readmitted. He honestly did love this school, the team, and the people here. It's a damn shame that he was unfairly kicked out due to false claims. I will continue to root for him in his career, wherever that may be, and I hope that his reputation will not be too tarnished after this horrible sequence of events. As a Xavier fan, I am seriously concerned about the future of the basketball program, as I think this hurts with recruiting, as many players will not trust the school and other schools' coaches will use this against us.

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like a great target.

And yes, what happened to him does seem unfair.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,787 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Don't know anything about him, but if he can score and can play right away, he'd be a great addition.

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Sounds like a great target.

And yes, what happened to him does seem unfair.

Absolutely. On both accounts. As more comes out about this whole thing, more Xavier fans/students are getting angrier angrier at the administration.

Don't know anything about him, but if he can score and can play right away, he'd be a great addition.

Not sure if he would be able to play right away. I am sure that he and his attorney will fight to get an NCAA waiver.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Does MD have an extra scholarship available for this coming year?

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Testudo Times: http://www.testudoti...tball#storyjump

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Does MD have an extra scholarship available for this coming year?

Yeah, there is space available; but it is not clear he would be eligible for 2012-13.

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, there is space available; but it is not clear he would be eligible for 2012-13.

Unlikely that he will. Kentucky is in the race now so that'd another hurdle for the Terps.

#11 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Unlikely that he will. Kentucky is in the race now so that'd another hurdle for the Terps.

No Kentucky is out. Don't have space available. Looks like he may get a hardship waiver for being wrongfully expelled. It looks like Maryland got him from his tweets. He seemed to like maryland a lot. Only thing between Wells and Maryland would be Oregon at this point.
@Langley486

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

No Kentucky is out. Don't have space available. Looks like he may get a hardship waiver for being wrongfully expelled. It looks like Maryland got him from his tweets. He seemed to like maryland a lot. Only thing between Wells and Maryland would be Oregon at this point.

That post was before he turned down UK. He is currently out in Oregon right now, but he should be deciding this week.

As for the hardship waiver, I am sure he should ask for one (and personally he should get it) but Im not sure the NCAA will give it to him. That's what the siege hoops guys (Goodman, Brian Snow) are saying.

For me, I hope he goes to Memphis or Maryland. Memphis because they play here this season and I will passionately cheer for him. Maryland because they're still my second team.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,151 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Inside MD Sports is reporting a decision is near.

ESPN / Andy Katz on his potential eligibility:
http://espn.go.com/m...lege-basketball

Wells started 32 games for Xavier last year, and was on the All A-10 Rookie team. He scored in double figures 16 times.

If Maryland landed Wells, and he was immediately eligible, the Terps would look like:

Guards: Faust (Soph) Howard (Jr), Aronhalt (Sr), Allen (Freshman), Cassell Jr. (Freshman)
Wings: Wells (Soph), Layman (Freshman)
Bigs: Padgett (Sr), Len (Soph), Cleare (Freshman), Mitchell (Freshman)

His addition would greatly increase MD's chances of really pushing NCST, FSU, Miami, Duke, and UNC within the ACC.

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, a decision has to be soon. Most schools are nearing their last days to add/drop classes. (This was one of the reasons why he decided not to go to Kentucky. He would have had to commit that night but chose to look at the other schools.) According to Dez's twitter, he's flying home to North Carolina from Oregon. I'd expect a decision is made by Wednesday or Thursday.

Exciting times being a Terps fan. I'm honestly jealous of you guys; if Dez chooses College Park, you're going to get a great kid and an even better basketball player.

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

http://www.washingto... ... _blog.html

“I credit Maryland, they really got his spirits up,” the source said. “It was a blessing to me to hear. It started out a rough week for him. He went through Kentucky, Memphis, but Maryland was the first time I heard the excitement back in his voice.”

The source said he heard from Wells “every two hours” via text while the former top-tier recruit was at Maryland, but never received a message during Wells’s Oregon visit, aside from when he touched down at the airport.

This alone, the source said, could offer a clue into the ultimate decision.

“Just by his excitement,” the source said. “If I had to bet the house on it, I would be betting in the blind, I would have to say, my gut, I know how he felt, sounds like possibly Maryland.”

Enrollment, as detailed in this Terrapins Insider post Thursday, should not be an issue, regardless of where Wells decides to attend. Oregon is on a tri-mester schedule and does not start classes until late September, while both Maryland and Memphis would have to seek administrative override to let Wells in after classes began. This, according to NCAA bylaw expert and former compliance officer John Infante, should not be a problem.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Turgeon is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. The talent keeps on coming.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Wow what a get this would be. We're going to be good this year, maybe really good. Watch out starting next year.

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS

Been told unlikely for this season. RT @CrackerJacker93: @GoodmanCBS can Dez play in this upcoming season or will he have to sit out a year?

#19 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

If Wells chooses Maryland, and I suspect he will, Turge will most likely sign Peters in my opinion. That would leave one space available and this team would still be dangerous and young. Barring attrition frompotentially Faust or Len or both, this would signal the end to the Harrison twins or maybe I'm wrong on that. Wells deserves a hardship waiver because what happened to him was wrong and handled very poorly.
@Langley486

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Turgeon is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. The talent keeps on coming.

Agreed... Turg has brought a "cavalry" type excitement to the Terps. It's really exciting right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=