#2 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Again. He may be having a solid offensive season, but he is NOT having a "solid 2018 campaign".

Agree, the Mariners may be a very good landing spot for him though. 

#3 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

If AJ goes to the Mariners, I'm a Mariners fan for the rest of the season. 

Full Disclosure, I'm a fan of any team he goes to  ;)

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

A. I love Adam Jones.

B. I love watching a winning team that may not have Adam Jones on it even more.

So if trading him makes B more likely, good luck wherever you land, AJ.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Jones' time with the Orioles is only coming to a close because the Orioles are closing it.

I'm a fan so it will be disappointing at some level to me when he's gone....and I'm not even sure if the situation is repairable at this point.  The people that created the current approach (which I think clearly has rubbed him the wrong way) are the ones making the decisions so you'd have to find a way to break from that, say 'we value you' and figure it out...but I don't see it happening. 

I'm not sure the Mariners are in.  They seemed like the obvious choice after the Cano suspension and Dipoto has come to the Orioles frequently when he's needed to do something.  I think it's 100% that the Orioles were the first call he made, BraJoLo probably overplayed the hand (in what will likely be a common theme over the next 6 weeks) and Dipoto just shrugs and goes somewhere else.

With Dan a dispassionate errand boy, no external Organization relationships, no real plan, a general distrust form other organizations and a desire to 'win' the trades, this could become a theme for the Orioles trade deadline.

I'd be on the phone with the Indians to work out a Givens-Jones package...and if not, Jones is leaving on Sunday with the Angels.

If it were me, I'd tell him to go enjoy the playoff race the rest of the year and we'll talk first thing in the offseason.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Jones' time with the Orioles is only coming to a close because the Orioles are closing it.

And what would you do with Jones if you were in charge? You seem to indicate that the O's should be keeping him?

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

And what would you do with Jones if you were in charge? You seem to indicate that the O's should be keeping him?

I want to keep him.  I have no trouble trading him at this point.

As you already know, I don't believe he's the trash can standing in CF that you (and maybe everyone else except for Nelson Cruz) seems to think he is. 

I have no issues with him being in CF and have more than one approach to how you handle the OF in 2019 and beyond.  I would pay him more than others.  Even if he was in CF short-term, I'd expect him to go Torii Hunter and move to a corner sooner than later.

....but let me resurrect 2 thoughts I was going to post in a different "OF thoughts' thread.

Michael Taylor.  Posted specifically on him in the offseason.  He's odd man out in the Nationals OF next year with Soto in LF, Robles likely in CF and Eaton back to RF after Harper walks.  They have plenty of depth OFers.  The Nationals need help at 2B right now with Murphy struggling back from injury so I'd have no issues building something around a Schoop-Taylor deal.

Josh Bell.  Been a fan a long time.  Maybe I'll post more, but him and Mancini are nearly identical in service, costs, age, performance and they are both at the bottom (if not THE bottom) of their respective positions defensively.  Mancin should be at 1B and Bell should be in RF.  Not happening on thier current teams.  I'd just swap them with the Pirates, Orioles can sweeten the package with some IFA Pool.  Both teams benefit, both players benefit.

Currently the Orioles have a Mancini-Jones-?? OF which likely rates by metrics at the bottom (again, if not the bottom) in terms of defense.

Adding Taylor for CF, Bell for RF and bringing back Jones for LF would create a much better defensive OF.  As I said previously, having a guy like Taylor in CF makes it easier for Jones to defer CF. 

I think that OF configuration gives you more stability and opportunity than running a Stewart-Mullins-Hays OF out there next year.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Dude I guess I should have been more specific. How long a contract and how much would you give Jones?  To be fair I should also give my take.

I would max offer him 3 years, no more than $33M, and he'd have to move to a corner spot.

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

Dude I guess I should have been more specific. How long a contract and how much would you give Jones?  To be fair I should also give my take.

I would max offer him 3 years, no more than $33M, and he'd have to move to a corner spot.

I've said this before, the numbers move around a little over time but generally it's a team friendly 5/70.  10M per (other money is deferred or buyout on team options).

fwiw, I understand I'm paying him more than others.  10M per year never hurts you.  I think he's important both on and off the field.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

The Orioles are 23-58, and the only thing sadder than that record would be giving Adam Jones a 5 year extension.

• clapdiddy and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

The Orioles are 23-58, and the only thing sadder than that record would be giving Adam Jones a 5 year extension.

Chris that's why I asked Dude the specific question. No question Jones has been a great Oriole. But history and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. No freaking way he deserves a 5 year contract.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

He won't be an Oriole next year so everyone else will get their wish.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

Chris that's why I asked Dude the specific question. No question Jones has been a great Oriole. But history and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee. No freaking way he deserves a 5 year contract.

I'll bet the players he plays with, the managers he plays for and the kids he helps daily all disagree with you.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

I'll bet the players he plays with, the managers he plays for and the kids he helps daily all disagree with you.

Then let those players and manager kick in the extra money to keep him around!  You are putting too much value on his "presence" compared to performance (and especially down the road) IMO.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

Giving Adam Jones a 5 year deal... when he's a month from turning 33, is just horrible decision making by anyone that would do it, or does do it.

The last time he had an OPS above .800 for a season was 2013.

2014: .780
2015: .782
2016: .746

2017: .788

2018: .752

You can't think he is going to be better going forward, so how long do you think he sustains at his current level?

You can be dismissive of defensive metrics all you want, but Jones is one of the worst CF's in baseball at this point.
You can question how much that means, but it will be a surprise if he a starting CF for anyone to begin 2019.

If you are moving him to a corner, why would the O's do that when the one thing they have in abundance is young corner OF types with some promise?

I'd expect you to point to Jones' leadership.

I agree, Jones has been a good leader.

You don't give him 5 more years because he's has been a good leader.

Get him to waive the NTC, move him out, and move on.

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Giving Adam Jones a 5 year deal... when he's a month from turning 33, is just horrible decision making by anyone that would do it, or does do it.

The last time he had an OPS above .800 for as season was 2013.

2014: .780
2015: .782
2016: .746
2017: .788
2018: .752

You can't think he is going to be better going forward, so how long do you think he sustains at his current level?

You can be dismissive of defensive metrics all you want, but Jones is one of the worst CF's in baseball at this point.
You can question how much that means, but it will be a surprise if he a starting CF for anyone to begin 2019.

If you are moving him to a corner, why would the O's do that when the one thing they have in abundance is young corner OF types with some promise?

I'd expect you to point to Jones' leadership.

I agree, Jones has been a good leader.

You don't give him 5 more years because he's has been a good leader.

Get him to waive the NTC, move him out, and move on.

Hundo. And if you do want to sign a familiar face that’s a good example/leader for a corner OF spot, make it Markakis.

Big fan of AJ, I’ll be rooting for him until he retires, but unfortunately it makes no sense to keep him around.

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

Jones is my all-time favorite Oriole. He belongs with the organization in some capacity when his time as a player is over. However I just don't see how he fits on this team in any way. He deserves to play for a winner and get a shot at a World Series.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#18 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

I don't see how an AJ-O's relationship can exist beyond this season, and be mutually beneficial. But, for sake of conversation, I max out at a 3yr deal. If they want to add a mutual option year, fine. If AJ stays for 3-4 more years, the O's have a veteran presence, and the team Cap't., Great! But I don't see why AJ would want to finish his career mentoring rookie OFers for an also ran team. If the O's totally retooled this winter, and come back ready to win in '19, sure, AJ adds to the team. But that's not how this ownership group works. They go at a nice, easy pace. Not too fast, they've got all the time in the world.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#19 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Again. He may be having a solid offensive season, but he is NOT having a "solid 2018 campaign".

Agree, the Mariners may be a very good landing spot for him though.

I assume you’re critiquing his defense? Good news is other teams would probably put him at one of the corner positions rather than in center.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

Jones has had a nice, steady career in Baltimore.  I'm not sure why his defense has supposedly deteriorated over the past few years but offensively, he gives you consistent numbers.  However, being past his prime, I would think that only teams looking for complimentary pieces would be interested.  Not too excited about what he would bring in a trade but if they could get a couple of decent prospects, I'd probably pull the trigger.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=