Photo

What Cars Have You Owned / What's Your Next Car?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

1985 Mazda GLC 1995-1997

1995 Dodge Neon 1997-2001

2001 Mercury Cougar 2001-2005

2005 Mercury Mariner 2005-2013

2013 Ford Edge 2013-2017

2017 Ford Edge 2017-Present

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

1975 VW Rabbit

1977 VW Rabbit

1981 Honda Accord hatchback 

1983 Honda Prelude

1991 Mazda Miata (first new car)

1998 Mazda 626 (went to buy another Miata, made the mistake of bringing my wife)

1999 Mazda Miata (post-divorce)

2006 Saab 9-3 convertible

2011 VW Eos

2018 Audi A3 convertible

• BSLChrisStoner, NewMarketSean and RShack like this

#23 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

1959 Triumph TR3 ($300)

My dad has a TR3 - great car.  It's crazy how low to the ground you sit.  With the side curtains off, you can pick up a dime from the road without really even bending over.

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

1975 VW Rabbit

1977 VW Rabbit

1981 Honda Accord hatchback 

1983 Honda Prelude

1991 Mazda Miata (first new car)

1998 Mazda 626 (went to buy another Miata, made the mistake of bringing my wife)

1999 Mazda Miata (post-divorce)

2006 Saab 9-3 convertible

2011 VW Eos

2018 Audi A3 convertible

That timeline reads like a short story. Love it.

My wife had a 2012 EOS. We babied it and then someone rear-ended her last year and it was totaled due to the roof being a complex unit. It fucking sucked. We'd just dumped a shit ton of money into it for the transmission fluid change and bought new tires and it was like 3 payments from being paid off. Anyway,  we bought another 2012 EOS with cash. Had some problems with it, but knock on wood, it seems to be OK now. But we were looking at Audis before we bought another EOS...my wife really loved the A5, there were a few at Carmax but none that we could justify buying due to the wear and tear they had on them. How do you like the A5 and the soft top compared to the EOS hard top? How does it compare all around to the EOS? My wife has already said she's going with an Audi for her next car.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

I've actually got the A3, which is almost exactly the same size as the Eos.  The A5 is a little bigger and more expensive. I think the A3 convertible has only been around since 2015, so you'll probably see some hitting the used car market this year as they come off lease.

The Audi actually seems quieter than the Eos, even with the top up.  I think my Eos had a couple of tiny gaps in the roof seals, so wind noise got in.  Rain never did, but I always heard a faint rush of wind. The Audi's soft top is all one piece, so it's pretty quiet.  I definitely miss the sunroof, though, along with the full size rear window.  Still getting used to the reduced visibility.

So far, the Audi seems better than the VW in just about every way - more power, more comfortable, better tech, handles better, etc.  Looks way better, too.  I always thought the Eos had some angles where it looked really good, but some where it was kind of funny looking.

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

Yeah A5 is way expensive, which is why we were looking used. No way we could afford a new one. But they are beautiful.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

86' Dodge Charger

'97 Pontiac Sunfire

'05 Toyota Corolla S

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

My dad has a TR3 - great car.  It's crazy how low to the ground you sit.  With the side curtains off, you can pick up a dime from the road without really even bending over.

It might be the best ever "low-velocity high-speed car".... go 40 and it feels like 60 because of how low you are, plus all the feedback that comes through the car... lots of fun without as much ticket risk... it couldn't go really fast because TR-3's came with a motor designed for an English farming tractor (I'm not making this up).... I wish I still had it... (same thing with the Datsun 2000, although it had some serious ticket risk)...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Any recent or forthcoming buys?

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

Any recent or forthcoming buys?

Right before the quarantine, I got a used Cadillac ATS

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

Anybody know of shops that restore classic muscle cars? My dad has an all original '70 Dodge Challenger. Has faded paint and ripped seats. But it still runs. I would love to price out a full restoration.

#32 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:36 PM

Anybody know of shops that restore classic muscle cars? My dad has an all original '70 Dodge Challenger. Has faded paint and ripped seats. But it still runs. I would love to price out a full restoration.

I don't have an answer to your question.... but I do have a suggestion...  before proceeding, first nose around online just a bit and get clear about what you mean by restoration.   For cars that have the potential for big money (or cars that are a zillionaire's favorite) restoration means they take the whole damn thing apart and use new-old stock to make it better than new, with closer tolerances, tighter panel fit, etc.... they put it on a big rotisserie and spin it around to where the can get to every damn thing...  A serious restoration could easily be a couple hundred thousand bucks... for a Dodge, not a Ferrari... and people actually do that...

Your Dad's car may or may not be in the potential big bucks category.  It depends on the options it came with, especially the engine and transmission, plus whether those things are numbers-matching as it came from the factory.  I'd fine out that info first.  If your Dad still has the original window sticker, that would be a big huge and tell you what you need to know about the car.  If he doesn't have that degree of original records, then based on the serial number of the car, some google-fu (and Mopar fan sites) can probably help you find out how it came from the factory originally.  

Anyway, you'll be better off making a list of the things you want taken care of, since restoration means different things to different people.  Make a list that includes everything you can think of that the car needs, and then see where you are... otherwise, you risk getting in the middle of a project and having it nickel and dime you to death.... except it wouldn't be nickels and dimes, it'd be a few hundred here and a couple thousand there... next thing you know, you have a sad story to tell...

ps:  There's a new category of collector cars that didn't used to exist... Un-restored Classics.  With so many old cars getting restored (to some degree or another), there's now a relative shortage of desirable old cars that haven't been restored... as a result, many classic car concours (no "e") have a separate category for that.   Once you restore it, it ain't original no more... and never can be again.

What do you know about this car?  Engine?  Trans?  Rear-end ratio?  Option packages?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#33 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

2002 Honda Accord

2012 Honda CRV

2018 Honda Accord

2020 Aston Martin DBS

Very diverse car choices here.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

I'm not a car guy. Just want something reliable and cheap. Now with a kid I needed a bit more space so got a slightly larger sedan after my old reliable finally became more trouble than it was worth.

96 Chrysler Cirrus
03 Honda Civic (gave up at 241k)
18 Honda Accord

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:58 PM

Whaddya think of the 300ZX vs. 3000GT?

I know this was asked a while ago but I missed it.

I actually only owned the 300zx for about a week.

We discovered that it had been in an accident and they told us it hadn’t been.

They didn’t want to take it back at first but we paid for some of it via personal check and canceled it on them.

So, they ended up taking it back.

Loved that car though..still do. One of my favorite cars ever. Had the T-tops.

The guy who owned the 3000gt prior to me had done some modifications to it. It was a fun and fast car. First night I had it, got into a race on 695 in traffic, going about 130 mph...seeing 3 and 4 moves ahead going that speed was definitely required.

Obviously a dumb thing to do but I was young...was still fun doing it though.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:13 PM

I'm not a car guy. Just want something reliable and cheap. Now with a kid I needed a bit more space so got a slightly larger sedan after my old reliable finally became more trouble than it was worth.

96 Chrysler Cirrus
03 Honda Civic (gave up at 241k)
18 Honda Accord

Better put wheel locks on that 'cord.

• SportsGuy likes this

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

I know this was asked a while ago but I missed it.

I actually only owned the 300zx for about a week.

We discovered that it had been in an accident and they told us it hadn’t been.

They didn’t want to take it back at first but we paid for some of it via personal check and canceled it on them.

So, they ended up taking it back.

Loved that car though..still do. One of my favorite cars ever. Had the T-tops.

The guy who owned the 3000gt prior to me had done some modifications to it. It was a fun and fast car. First night I had it, got into a race on 695 in traffic, going about 130 mph...seeing 3 and 4 moves ahead going that speed was definitely required.

Obviously a dumb thing to do but I was young...was still fun doing it though.

Came up from Cooks Lane on the 70 P&R late one night coming back from Bmore. Maybe...5 years ago. Probably 12:30-1 AMish. Get up on the highway, cars everywhere. Dead stop. Looked like a movie shoot from a Fast and the Furious sequel. All the sudden, boom, a woman throws down her arms and two cars peel the F off. The crowd of people hurry back to their cars and drive away like nothing happened. It went from dead standstill in what looked like a Ludacris video to driving home like nothing happened all within ten minutes. So strange.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

Already got burnt. Now I have off brand wheels that nobody wants.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:58 PM

Already got burnt. Now I have off brand wheels that nobody wants.

I know. I remember that thread. You're lucky that thing didnt get complete stole.

#40 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

The dealership I went to (College Park Honda) literally wouldn't let us leave the lot without wheel locks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=