• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Tribe Athletics: Football Preview (Video)
http://www.tribeathl...db_oem_id=25100

A game MD has no excuse which to lose, but wouldn't surprise me if is closer than people like. W&M went into last year projected by some as the 2011 1AA National Champion, but struggled finishing 5-6.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Things I'll be looking for:

1) I want to see the RB's get off to a good start. W&M's Dline should be at a size disadvantage to the MD Oline. Between Pickett, Ross, Brown, and Reid; MD has a number of positive options in the backfield. If Maryland can run the ball, it will help out in numerous other areas.

2) Ferrera has been up and down (due to health mostly) as a Terp. He has a quality leg. Would like to see him get off to a positive start. Who is the Punter - Craddock or Renfro?

3) Diggs has been making his presence felt in the return game during camp. He doesn't have to take one to the house right away, but it would be pretty special if he made his presence felt immediately.

4) With Matt Robinson missing the opener, it looks like Hendy will get the start. Hendy was a pretty highly regarded recruit. We could feel better about the Secondary depth, if he seizes the opportunity.

5) How is the corner play from McDougle, and Johnson? How does MD handle Goins being out with mono?

6) We have our fingers crossed with Tate, but I'm still excited about Twine, Hartsfield, and Drakeford at LB. Against W&M they should be controlling the action sideline to sideline.

7) Losing Monroe at DE is disappointing. Edsall has stated that AJ Francis will be replacing Monroe, and that Darius Kilgo will replace Francis at NT. You know Vellano will play well. The play you get from Francis, Kilgo, and others like Justin Anderson will be telling. These guys absolutely need to get off to a good start against the 1AA Tribe.

8) There is experience at WR with Boykins, Dorsey, King, and Cheeseboro. You'd like to see them, and the talented TE's - Furstenburg, and Campbell - collectively make some plays.

9) If the RB's are going to get off to a good start, and the WR's and TE's are going to make plays; that is going to come with the offensive line (and the FB Cierski) doing their job up-front. Is Nick Klemm serviceable at LT? How does Arnett look at RG?

10) Expectations might be low for true Frosh QB Perry Hills, but when the lights go on; there will be plenty of eyes watching. How does he handle that pressure? Does he show a command of the offense. If there is adversity during the game, does he respond? Can he utilize the weapons that are on the roster, and put some points on the board?

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

If William and Mary defeats Maryland, and Towson defeats W&M, can the Tigers claim they are the top football school in the state?

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

If William and Mary defeats Maryland, and Towson defeats W&M, can the Tigers claim they are the top football school in the state?

They'd still have to knock off Navy, or maybe one of Navy's opponents, to earn the State Champs title from me.

#5 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Chris, lots of great questions that need to be answered.

As far as the punting duties, I'm really curious about Craddock. I watched one of his highlight videos and while he's not uber-long distance-wise, he has fantastic hang time on his punts. Hopefully he'll improve the distance as well the more he practices and older/stronger he gets.

I have faith in the D-line, and am optimistic about the WR group. I'd be quite disapointed if they haven't improved on the drops that happened last year.

I hope they utilize the TE's as much as they can, since that seems to be the group that's completely loaded with experience. Furstenburg was a great short-range target last year and I'd guess he'll be doing the same this year.

The secondary worries me, and the O-line concerns me. I hope they are better than I expect them to be.

I'm curious if one of the two freshman RB's will redshirt, and if so who it will be.

Based on the reports so far, Hills sounds like he will be poised under center. Let's hope that is in fact what happens when he meets tough competition.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

4) With Matt Robinson missing the opener, it looks like Hendy will get the start. Hendy was a pretty highly regarded recruit. We could feel better about the Secondary depth, if he seizes the opportunity.

I missed it, but Hendy is also out for a few weeks.

The SS starter will be Sean Davis. As mdak06 mentioned, Craddock will be the punter.

Cole Farrand at the MIKE LB bears watching as well.

Here is a current depth chart:
http://grfx.cstv.com...art_8-27-12.pdf

#7 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Nobody's gonna take W&M football seriously as long as they have a girl in their name...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

College Football Madness: W&M Preview
http://www.collegesp...om/article/4447

Suffice it to say, 2011 didn’t go exactly as planned for the Tribe. Picked by the Colonial Athletic Association coaches to win the league, William & Mary never found itself and missed the playoffs for the first time in three years. A sputtering offense had much to do with the disappointment. W & M averaged just 168.5 yards passing (ninth in the CAA) and was 10th in scoring. Veteran coach Jimmye Laycock stressed fundamentals this spring but made no secret that improving the passing game needed to be a priority.

2011 Record: (5-6, 3-5)
2011 Postseason: None
Coach: Jimmye Laycock (213-151-2)
Offensive Coordinator: Zbig Kepa
Defensive Coordinator: Scott Boone

Returning Leaders:
Rushing: Keith McBride, RB, 281 yards
Passing: Brent Caprio, QB, 795 yards
Receiving: Ryan Moody, WR, 174 yards
Tackles: Jabrel Mines, LB, 109 tackles
Sacks: Jabrel Mines, LB, 4.5
Interceptions: Jabrel Mines, LB, 2; B.W. Webb, CB, 2; Ivan Tagoe, DB, 2

Other Key Returnees: LB Dante Cook, S Jerome Couplin II, DT George Beerhalter, PK Drake Kuhn, QB Michael Graham, WR Tre McBride, OT Mike Salazar, C Matt Crisafi, OG Trevor Springman, S Brian Thompson

Strengths:
The offensive line will return four of five starters - the trio of Mike Salazar, Matt Crisafi and Trevor Springman started all 11 games in 2011. And there’s plenty of experience in the secondary too, with Jerome Couplin II, B.W. Webb, Brian Thompson and Ivan Tagoe. The Tribe ranked third in the CAA last year in scoring defense, and with those veterans in the secondary and Jabrel Mines anchoring the linebacking corps, the defense should be pretty good. Kicker/punter Drake Kuhn returns and adds stability to the kicking game. He made 10-of-14 field goals in 2011, but he could face a challenge from sophomore John Carpenter, who booted a 53-yarder in the spring game. Coach Jimmye Laycock also hopes the return of former defensive coordinator Tom Clark (previously at Liberty University) to the staff will be a plus, too.

Weaknesses:
The Tribe must get used to life without All-American running back Jonathan Grimes, who rushed for a school record of 4,541 yards during his career. Redshirt sophomore Keith McBride, who was Grimes’ primary backup last year, will try to fill the big shoes. But with the focus on trying to resurrect the inconsistent passing attack, the running game might be pushed to the side. William & Mary averaged just 18 points a game last year (106th in the nation). All eyes will be on quarterbacks Brent Caprio or Michael Graham to improve that production. Injuries hurt the passing attack last year, particularly the deep game when all-conference receiver Ryan Moody went down. Defensively, the Tribe must replace end Marcus Hyde, who had 6.5 sacks last year. But there are definitely more concerns on the offensive side.

The Bottom Line:
It’s difficult to imagine a second-straight losing season for the Tribe because there are pockets of strength. However, there are plenty of minefields in the CAA too. Plus, W & M opens on the road at Maryland, which will be fired up to make amends for last year’s 2-10 season in Randy Edsall’s first year. Tough road games await at Towson, James Madison, New Hampshire and ODU. It likely will come down to quarterback play (doesn’t it always?). If Caprio or Graham can step up and play consistently, the Tribe can be in the hunt for a possible playoff berth, but when you compare W & M to other conference foes, there seem to be more questions in Williamsburg, Va.

Projected Postseason: None

2011 Team Stats:
Rushing Offense: 166.27 (45th in nation, 3rd in conference)
Passing Offense: 168.55 (93, 8)
Total Offense: 334.82 (78, 7)
Scoring Offense: 18.36 (106, 10)
Rushing Defense: 146.91 (49, 6)
Pass Defense: 204.00 (55, 4)
Total Defense: 350.91 (41, 4)
Scoring Defense: 22.18 (31, 3)
Turnover Margin: -.36 (79, 8T)
Sacks: 1.73 (82, 7T)
Sacks Allowed: 1.73 (44, 6T)

Madness 2012 FCS Football Recruit Rankings:
#44 Tyler Claytor
#177 Kevin Jennings

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

WTVR: W&M Preview (Video)
http://wtvr.com/2012...d-mary-preview/

#10 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Tribe all the way. Seriously though, this is as good a chance as any to get a victory over an FBS school.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Tribe all the way. Seriously though, this is as good a chance as any to get a victory over an FBS school.

Well...they could be playing UTSA or UMass. Then again, they haven't beat the Minutemen since 2001...

(For the record, if you haven't found it yet, that is a fantastic site. W&M is 2-2 against Maryland overall.)

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

I missed it, but Hendy is also out for a few weeks.

The SS starter will be Sean Davis. As mdak06 mentioned, Craddock will be the punter.

Cole Farrand at the MIKE LB bears watching as well.

Here is a current depth chart:
http://grfx.cstv.com...art_8-27-12.pdf

Testudo Times: Looking at the Depth Chart
http://www.testudoti...diggs#storyjump

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

WNST: Jeff Ermann Interview (Audio)
http://bit.ly/STKtOK

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Inside MD Sports is reporting that with Brandon Ross sidelined due to a lingering hamstring injury, true freshman Albert Reid will start at running back for Maryland on Saturday.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Inside MD Sports is reporting that with Brandon Ross sidelined due to a lingering hamstring injury, true freshman Albert Reid will start at running back for Maryland on Saturday.

And the hits just keep on comin'.

What happened to Pickett? Thought he was next on the depth chart after Ross?

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

And the hits just keep on comin'.

What happened to Pickett? Thought he was next on the depth chart after Ross?

Yes, Pickett was listed as the backup on the most recent depth chart. Have not heard why he is not now projected to start.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yes, Pickett was listed as the backup on the most recent depth chart. Have not heard why he is not now projected to start.

Unless we missed an injury, I guess they only see his running style suited to a backup role, so he'd pretty much always be #2.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

UM Terps: Terps Hold Final Practice Before Opener
http://www.umterps.c.../083012aac.html

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm going to this game tomorrow, never thought I'd be more interested in a September Orioles game than this. I plan on watching at a CP bar and then going to the game when the O's game is out of reach (relatively speaking).

A great problem to have to say the least.
@levineps

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

An ugly beginning to Perry Hills' college career. 2 INTs, W&M up 6-0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=