#21 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

I think Villanova in 2016 is #1 for me, easily. 

But seriously, why are they letting Ubaldo pitching to Encarnacion? WHY? Who thought that was a good idea?

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

McLouth's grand slam that went just foul late in Game 5 of the '12 ALDS was pretty rough.  I think that was worse for me than the '14 Royals series which never got tight (though losing the series really hurt because we were the best team left) and even the suddenness of the '16 wild card loss.

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

McLouth's grand slam that went just foul late in Game 5 of the '12 ALDS was pretty rough.  I think that was worse for me than the '14 Royals series which never got tight (though losing the series really hurt because we were the best team left) and even the suddenness of the '16 wild card loss.

I still maintain that hit the pole.

• DJ MC likes this

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

The McClouth non HR wouldn't have been a GS right? Am I not remembering that correctly

#25 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

McNair lead Ravens loss to the Colts in the Divisional round.  Everybody wanted the Colts that year but I didn't because I was still worried. On top of that Indy won the Super Bowl that year which compounds the anguish.  How do you keep Peyton from throwing a touchdown pass and still lose the game?   I was watching at the Turtle in Fells Point with my wife and Todd Heap fumbled in the first quarter.  I was wearing my Heap jersey so of course some guy gives me grief for it like the fumble was my fault.

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

For me, it's the 1979 World Series, hands down.  I was too young to know better, so I just assumed the O's would win once they went up 3-1.  That's where I first learned that sports could break your heart.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

The McClouth non HR wouldn't have been a GS right? Am I not remembering that correctly

It would have.

https://www.baseball...201210120.shtml

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Of course Mack was right. For some reason I thought a HR would have tied the score. I believe this was the only Orioles/Ravens/Terps postseason game Ive ever failed to watch. I played in a golf tourny the afternoon of this game. Turned the radio on the way home in the bottom of the 7th. I remembering getting home during the top of the 9th. Didnt feel like going in to watch the Yankees celebrate so I listened until it was over.

Speaking of the above,is there any playoff/ huge games of youre favorite teams that youve missed.

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

This one?

It would have been a solo shot.

• Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

Oh shit, my bad.  I thought it was his next time up.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, the bottom of the 8th the bases were loaded with 1 out.  McLouth K'ed and Hardy grounded out.

That was our chance.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

OMG, I need to remember this day. Pedro can I get a gif?

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

This one?

It would have been a solo shot.

Ok, thats what I thought. Again, I wasnt watching live butI remember all the highlights. According to baseball reference he did come up in the bottom of the 8th with the bases loaded and struckout but that wasnt the missed HR.

#34 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Speaking of the above,is there any playoff/ huge games of your favorite teams that you've missed.

I missed:

Most of Yankees/Orioles game 5, actually. I was at work until...the sixth inning, I think. Busy time of the year. 
I missed all of Orioles/Royals Game 4, because I was working.

I missed all of UNC/George Mason in 2006, because I was working.

UNC had an NCAAT game in the last couple of years that I missed, but I can't remember the game. 

Oooh...I missed the UNC/Louisville Elite Eight game in 2008 because I was having my bachelor party and I got REALLY drunk. 

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Speaking of the above, is there any playoff/ huge games of youre favorite teams that youve missed.

I was in middle school in 96-97, so one or two of those Orioles daytime playoff games I missed. One of my teachers I remember had the game on the tv without the sound while she taught. 

Other than that I missed the second half of the 2011 Steelers playoff game because I was blackout drunk at Red Brick Station. And I was in boot camp for all of March Madness 2003, the Drew Nicholas shot to beat UNCW. 

I don't think I've missed anything else major. I worked during that Game 7 in conference finals between the Pens and Caps when the Pens blew the Caps out badly. But I worked in a restaurant so it was on tv, caught it in bits and pieces. It was over before it started anyway. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Dear God, who enjoys reliving this crap? Ridiculously depressing. At least in the case of the Evans/Cumdip game, or in the 2001 Terps F4 loss, we got redemption. Watching that McLouth play just breaks my heart all over again. Although Johnson's blown save in game 1 of that same series haunts me more.

#37 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

Dear God, who enjoys reliving this crap? Ridiculously depressing. At least in the case of the Evans/Cumdip game, or in the 2001 Terps F4 loss, we got redemption. Watching that McLouth play just breaks my heart all over again. Although Johnson's blown save in game 1 of that same series haunts me more.

Misery loves company, man! LOL

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

The Mets also won 100 games. They werent some mediocre team. Were the best NL team by 7 games. Also, the NL was the stronger league back then.

So I guess all the guys on the team who are still haunted by it lack your insight and perspective?

The Mets were a freak show in a freak season... even with that, their Pythag was 18 games (!!) worse than the O's.

Both the Colt players and the Oriole players never got over that year... but at least the O's restored order the following year...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

There is no doubting the Os were the best team in baseball for that 3 year stretch, maybe longer, but ultimately they choked away all but 1 opportunity.

#40 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

McNair lead Ravens loss to the Colts in the Divisional round.  Everybody wanted the Colts that year but I didn't because I was still worried. On top of that Indy won the Super Bowl that year which compounds the anguish.  How do you keep Peyton from throwing a touchdown pass and still lose the game?   I was watching at the Turtle in Fells Point with my wife and Todd Heap fumbled in the first quarter.  I was wearing my Heap jersey so of course some guy gives me grief for it like the fumble was my fault.

This one is up there for me as well.  I went with a group of friends and we planned to party after the game.  I thought we were going to lose but they way we lost was just gut wrenching.  5 Viniatieri FGs.  GTFOH.

We all decided just to go home after the game instead of partying like we had planned.

@Miller192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=